Nvidia Card Gives 1-7fps Single and SLI

dgloverpro

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hey everyone, I just scooped up 2 GTX 550 TI's and SLI'd them and getting low fps, 1-7, in everything. All games and even watching anything in media player classic, windows media player or even online places such as netflix. I have totally uninstalled drivers and reinstalled, currently using 285.62, and have even tried using each video card separately without SLI and still each gives me 1-7 fps. Searched online and haven't been able to find any info on the subject.

I've tried bios configurations and messed with nvidia control panel settings and checked stats in EVGA Precision to make sure both cards are spitting out same stats and I can't find any information anywhere. Given my computer specs, I should be having no issues with fps especially while simply watching a video.

I've also considered that my CPU (or somethign else) might be bottlenecking the fps as it stays at 7fps no matter the resolution of the video or game. Stranger thing is if I'm watching a video in any media player, it stays at 7fps but if i drag the window all over the place it shoots up to 60+ fps. When I return home I'm going to overclock my CPU a bit and see if that does anything although I figured an i7 950 at over 3ghz would fine especially since I tried each card by itself and still same sucky fps.

==============================================
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Motherboard: EVGA Intel SLI3
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (x2)
HDD: 1TB 7200rpm
PSU: Antec 1000W

Do you have bitlocker on?

Some crazy intrusive anti-virus?

Did you check your computer for viruses and other malware?

Assuming you aren't using Panda Cloud now, try switching to it. Also, I think Kaspersky has a free anti-virus that will do a scan over the internet too without you needing to install anything.

Go into the task manager (CTRL ALT DELETE and hit that) and tell me what the top 5 RAM using processes are (the ones with the biggest numbers) and go to the networking tab and tell me how much % is being used when you aren't doing anything.

dgloverpro

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

No don't have bitlocker.

No intrusive anti-virus, only using AVG which hasn't detected anything. I'm very meticulous about that stuff. I'll run again to be sure.

I don't use Panda Cloud but I'll check that out.

When I get home i'll give you the top 5 processes and the network info you requested. Thanks!

My resolution is 1920x1080.
Oh noes the dreaded reinstall!! -_- haha I was hoping to avoid this, but yes I agree, it seems like some sort of software issue to me also since I think I've ruled out everything else. That's why I ended up deleting everything nvidia (drivers, programs and all) and did full reinstalls to everything nvidia hoping that would help but didn't. If push comes to shove though I shall do what I have to do /sigh. Thanks!

It can take so much time to find and correct a software glitch that a format and install is usually faster .

Was the computer new or did you just add a second card recently ?

If its the second option you could try and uninstall all graphics drivers b4 reinstalling the latest , but that could just waste more time too

dgloverpro

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Yes I agree, I've done that and it's a pain!

This is a computer I've had for a year now except the hdd's I've had for longer. I just recently added a 2nd card to boost stats after researching some benchmarks. And yes I have done that, uninstall all previous drivers, I think I had some dating back from 2008 or 2009, then reinstalled a fresh copy of the most recent 285.62 nvidia driver but to no avail. And yes, it seems to have been a waste of time haha

When I get home I'm goin to shoot Raiddinn those stats and mess with some things but more than likely it seems like the format and reinstall will have to be the solution.

dgloverpro

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

top 5 processes are:

svchost
explorer
svchost
dwm
sidebar

in networking tab a little above 0% when I'm doing nothing.

dgloverpro

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Hrm.. now I'm just at an all time loss.... totally formatted and reinstalled windows and still same issues. Idk maybe cards are bad, I've just never gotten a bad card before so it's hard to believe. Well I'm totally stomped.

dgloverpro

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Windows booted to desktop
I started installing AVG, my anti virus, it installed fine
I downloaded firefox and google chrome
downloaded nvidia 285.62 drivers ( i can't remember whether i installed them here or after reboot)
around this time windows says updates are rdy and I let it start installing the important ones only
around this time AVG says i need to do initial scan so i let it, it finds no threats
i download directx
i download java
i download cccp, for all my codecs
i install fraps
windows update says it needs to reboot to finish installing updates so i reboot
windows loads and installs updates
windows booted to desktop
i go to one of my hdd partitions i keep a lot of my media on and open up a movie to check out fps which is still around 7-14ish
which is a little different because fps never went past 7 before format and reinstall but still im very sad again....
i open up firefox and go to netflix to check out fps which is surprisingly 100-120
i then am shocked!!
...because before the reinstall everything, even netflix, was no more than 7fps.
I repair/reinstall steam and open up a game to test fps on a not so demanding game and Dungeon Defenders was around 14ish also. That's it I think, then I gave up and went to my girls house.... sad times for me.... I've never had a problem with my PC esp not a Graphics Card problem before this.

It is possible that the install order caused problems.

I think you should take out one of the video cards, then reinstall Windows, then install the anti virus, then do all the windows updates and I do mean ALL.

That will require restarting some dozen times and doing updates and more restarting yadda yadda yadda.

Those windows updates should include a basic graphics driver, that is fine.

then install the game and play it before you do all that other stuff and see what the game plays like.

Wait on directx, java, cccp, fraps, firefox, chrome, silverlight, and all that other stuff until you see what happens with the above steps.

dgloverpro

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Alright finally figured it out. Was actually a lil combination but mainly software. I updated the chipset driver for my mobo a while ago but apparently it didn't install correctly as it seemed to have. After wiping that out and reinstalling the chipset drivers the fps returned back to normal. I say it was a combination because the new card was actually faulty as well so sent the new card back for a replacement and my other is good at great fps. Not sure why just now it would cause a problem, but I guess when I SLI'd it finally picked up on the faulty driver install, and was like NO!

Thanks everyone for the help!!