PC Slowly Deteriorating - Something going bad?

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hi,

I have been getting some strange reading in MSI Afterburner for my 5970. At first, I thought it was a GPU problem but now I am getting the same issue with my 9800GT. The GPU Usage ratings will be extremely erratic and jump from 1-99 during gameplay causing the game to run really slow and get about half the FPS as usual.

Here is a screenshot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, when I run Furmark my GPU Usage stays at 99 the whole entire time like the card used too during gameplay. But I just noticed afterwards the PC becomes completely unstable. I can barely write this message right now the computer will freeze for 5-10 seconds at a time every 5 seconds.

Could something possibly be going bad? I know now it's not the graphics card itself. I'm not getting any BSOD or anything like that. The computer will just load slower and freeze up for 5-10 seconds at a time and generally I will get half the performance in any program that I used to get. I'm lost, please help.

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Corsair 850W
i7-920
Radeon 5970 (and 9800GT exhibiting same behavior)

Someone in another thread mentioned it could be the HDD? I ran a test using Hot CPU Tester from here: http://www.7byte.com/

The HD test failed to initialize. I am getting white icons on the desktop when the computer first loads, meaning it is loading too slow. And generally takes about 30 seconds longer to start up the computer even after reformatting the computer.

tlmck

Distinguished
Your components look good. it could definitely be the hard drive as well. I would still check the various voltages in the BIOS and CPUZ just to make sure they jibe with the specs in the manual. I would pay particular attention to the PCIe and +5v voltage.

If the volts check out, then it could indeed be a hard drive going bad.

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Thank you, I am testing the HDD's now. Would a failing hard drive also explain the erratic readings from MSI Afterburner and typically half the performance I used to get in games?

I hope it's not a PSU problem, I ordered a PSU tester which should be here tomorrow. If the PSU test comes out normal does that mean my PSU is fine or could there still be a problem?

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Replaced the HD and it fixed the white icons at startup and seems to be not freezing anymore. Still doesn't explain what's going on in the screenshot however.. any ideas? I'm lost

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Temps are all fine, checked with Speedfan. Would a PSU tester determine whether my PSU was working up to snuf or not? Or could it be a bigger problem with the PSU that the PSU tester isn't picking up because the PSU test results come out fine.

Thank you, I am testing the HDD's now. Would a failing hard drive also explain the erratic readings from MSI Afterburner and typically half the performance I used to get in games?

I hope it's not a PSU problem, I ordered a PSU tester which should be here tomorrow. If the PSU test comes out normal does that mean my PSU is fine or could there still be a problem?

A PSU tester is a waste of money, they are only suitable as a go no go tester. The only reliable test a home user can do is to substitute the power supply with a known good one. I don't think that there is any thing wrong with your power supply. A failing hard drive can exhibit some very strange symptoms and could account for your problems with MSI afterburner and games. If you look at the hard drive activity light when you are playing a game it is often active.

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

I replaced the hard drive and i'm still getting the same problem. Any ideas?