Complicated Phenom II x6 Booting, Long Beep Issue

playa3000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
First of all, here are my components:

Phenom II x6 1045T (to replace a Phenom II x4 955 BE)
Radeon HD 5770
4GB G. Skill ddr3 1600 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)
Gigabyte 785g Motherboard (GA-MA785GMT-UD2H)
Western Digital 1TB Hdd

This was my first rig and burnt out eventually due to (according to an IT friend) a failure of the processor (although I had also had some occasional graphics card recognition issues), which is why I ordered and installed the six-core 1045T. It ran fine the first few times, but the graphics card was not being recognized due to a lack of drivers. Once i installed the drivers, I tried to boot the rig, but I was rewarded with only a black screen and long, continuous beeps. This persists whether the monitor is connected to the graphics card or the motherboard, with the HDD connected or not, and with the RAM in or out. If i disconnect my disc drive AND take out ONE stick of memory, leaving in the other, I get the post beep, but nothing after that. I was once able to achieve this with both sticks in. Also, without the CD drive or the graphics card connected, the processor fan won't even spin and there will be no beeps. There's also the possibility that I fried something since my bedroom is carpeted.

Here's the thing: From my research, my RAM is not listed as compatible with the mobo (http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-ma785gmt-ud2h.pdf),
but I had run this configuration with the Phenom x4 for a year (of course, this rig eventually died). The new configuration worked fine until i installed the drivers for the graphics card. I don't even know where to start at this point.

Thank you very much for any and all help you can give me on resolving this issue.

did you try clearing the cmos ? and then maybe turning the on board video off or make it point to the card or set it to auto.. and what exactly is your power supply.... as stated above.... el cheapo's raise havoc with some people's systems.

and seeing the other issues......... board may be on it's way out.

when you installed the software for the mother board, you didn't install the gigabyte bios auto update-r did you. I had a board with tons of trouble until I removed that.

playa3000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Thanks everyone for your help. i have to believe that, as embarassing as this is, it was the memory placement. i set the memory to 1600mHz (it was on 1333) and booted up. It worked and i was happy. Then i put in the other stick and put them in seemingly appropriate slots and it booted again! Then i connected the graphics card and voila, it booted once more and every time since. the thing is, I once set the RAM speed to automatic thinking it would remain on 1600mHz and later found that it had reverted, but was still booting with the graphics card working fine, so the speed wasn't the problem. I had previously tried at LEAST every RAM position, so I think it was a combination of the right RAM speed and the right placement necessary to overcome the motherboard's incompatibility. I'm running an incompatible processor, so I should update my BIOS soon, but other than that, everything is better than it's ever been and my cooler is on it's way so I'll soon be overclocking like a time traveller.