Sign in with
Your question

Questions on budget gaming build.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2012 8:34:20 PM

Hi, I'm a noob trying hard for first DIY computer, been reasearching for 3 days stright and my eyes are all bloodshot. 4 quick questions....

Parts so far:
CPU: i5-2500k $219
MoBo: Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $121
GPU: Asus Radeon 6850 $129(after rebate)
RAM: G.Skill R.j.8GB(2x4Gb)1600 $47
Chasis: CoolerMaster HAF 912 $59
HDD: Seagate Barracuda7200, 6GB/s, 1TB $99
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620w $89

Question1: Good/bad build per $? why?
Question2: Do I need this $89 620w PSU, or can I get a cheaper recommendation?
Question3: Can I CrossfireX this later with a second Radeon6850, or did I miss some Xfire compatibility problem? Would the 620w PSU still be enough power?
Question4: The i5-3550k is selling for the same price now (newegg.com) of $219, and it's faster, but the reviews all say it's very hot and I'd need a water-cooling system, which I don't want to mess with. Still, would I be a fool to pay same price for the i5-2500k?

But most importantly(as an extention of Question1), will these parts all work together, and also not bottle-neck each other?
-Thanks.
May 8, 2012 9:14:05 PM

If you want get the most responses from people, check out the New Build category under "Systems" and format your inquiry something like the template provided in the "How to Ask For New Build Advice". The more experienced builders know about your circumstances, the more complete their answers will be.

To answer a few of your questions:

1. What are you going to be using this PC for, gaming primarily, office tasks primarily, 3D design, etc.

2.That looks like a good psu, you might find comparable units from the likes of Corsair or Antec at varying prices at that wattage, but $70-$90 is about right for the good quality units. There are many things to consider - such as efficiency (80 plus bronze, silver, gold), how many amps are available on the +12v rail, etc.

3.You may need a 750 watt psu to crossfire those cards but I am not sure. Google "psu calculator"; some sites should pop up that allow you to put in your parameters and get a good estimate.

4.I don't think you would be a fool either way. There seems to be some evidence of the Ivy Bridge chips getting significantly hotter than Sandy chips at overclocks greater than 4.4-4.5 Ghz, but others say that at mild to moderate overclocks the IB uses less voltage.

....Bring this topic over to New Build so we can continue this discussion.
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
May 8, 2012 9:24:28 PM

1: Good build for the price. Any extra cash should be spent towards a more powerful gpu imo.
2:If you're planning on crossfiring then keep that or go up say to a pc power and cooling 750W crossfire ready for $75 after rebate. Just to be sure you can crossfire just about any 2 gpu's without needing a new psu.
3:the seasonic will run the 6850s fine in xfire, just maybe not two gtx 680's and an overclocked system at the same time.
4: the SB will overclock better than the IB and there isn't much performance gain at all in IB itself. What you loose with SB is PCIE3.0 which doesnt bring alot to the table (less than 5% performance difference in xfire)
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI...

btw - the i5 is $170 at microcenter if you have one near you.
m
l
!