image viewer with zoom in and fast scrolling

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 16, 2005 7:35:34 PM

I'm looking for an image viewer that can do this: zoom in and scroll
around while in fullscreen mode. The scrolling needs to be fast--like
grabbing the image and dragging it around with the mouse, or keyboard
arrows that can move the image quickly. Using a mouse to move the image
with horizontal and vertical scrollbars is not acceptable.

IrfanView used to be able to do this in fullscreen mode. You would
press "+" to zoom in, then use right mouse button and drag to scroll
the image. But with the current version, the right mouse button just
advances to the next image in the folder.
May 16, 2005 10:02:38 PM

Frederick wrote:
> The Gimp allows this.

Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
see details conveniently.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 10:38:37 PM

Yeah, that would be nice.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

On 16 May 2005 15:35:34 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Bucky"
<uw_badgers@email.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for an image viewer that can do this: zoom in and scroll
>around while in fullscreen mode. The scrolling needs to be fast--like
>grabbing the image and dragging it around with the mouse, or keyboard
>arrows that can move the image quickly. Using a mouse to move the image
>with horizontal and vertical scrollbars is not acceptable.

I use an older version of ACDSee's PicaView that allows this.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
May 17, 2005 4:25:30 AM

Bucky wrote:
> Frederick wrote:
>
>>The Gimp allows this.
>

> Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
> Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
> photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
> see details conveniently.

Just download and install Irfanview. It will do all that, and much
more, and it is free.
GIMP is a large, complex, and somewhat cumbersome program with very
powerful editing ability, and a steep learning curve.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote in

I use PMView Pro. It's very fast and will let you zoom in and out
in a full screen slide show as well as use the arrow keys, page up,
page down, etc. to move around. If your not in a slide show you
can still move forward and backward through the pictures in a
subdirectory while in full screen mode.

We use it a lot at work to look at TIFF scans of large (36" x 42")
blue prints. Of everything we tested we found it the easiest and
fastest.

There is a 30 day trial version available at www.pmview.com.

> Frederick wrote:
>> The Gimp allows this.
>
> Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image
> viewer? Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to
> show people a photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to
> zoom in and scroll to see details conveniently.

May 17, 2005 3:46:57 PM

Bucky wrote:

> I'm looking for an image viewer that can do this: zoom in and scroll
> around while in fullscreen mode. The scrolling needs to be fast--like
> grabbing the image and dragging it around with the mouse, or keyboard
> arrows that can move the image quickly. Using a mouse to move the image
> with horizontal and vertical scrollbars is not acceptable.
>
> IrfanView used to be able to do this in fullscreen mode. You would
> press "+" to zoom in, then use right mouse button and drag to scroll
> the image. But with the current version, the right mouse button just
> advances to the next image in the folder.

The Gimp allows this.
Basic functions are:
"View|Full Screen" to get to full screen view.
"1" key to get 1:1
"CTRL|ALT|E" keys to zoom out to fit entire image on screen.
Arrow keys to scroll across image slow.
"Shift" + arrow keys to scroll fast.
Right click anywhere for access to full menus for editing.
May 17, 2005 4:37:35 PM

"Bucky" <uw_badg...@email.com> wrote in

I use PMView Pro. It's very fast and will let you zoom in and out
in a full screen slide show as well as use the arrow keys, page up,
page down, etc. to move around. If your not in a slide show you
can still move forward and backward through the pictures in a
subdirectory while in full screen mode.

We use it a lot at work to look at TIFF scans of large (36" x 42")
blue prints. Of everything we tested we found it the easiest and
fastest.

Th

ere is a 30 day trial version available at www.pmview.com.

PMView does not support RAW which could be a disadvantage these days
DonB
May 17, 2005 6:49:48 PM

Bucky wrote:
> Frederick wrote:
>
>>The Gimp allows this.
>

> Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
> Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
> photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
> see details conveniently.

As far as I know - no to looping.
However, it wouldn't surprise me if it can be done via a plugin or script.
May 17, 2005 8:16:19 PM

Chris Luck wrote:
> I'm using the current 3.97 version of IrfanView and full-screen
scrolling
> with the arrow keys behaves exactly as you specify. What's the
problem?

In fullscreen mode, when I zoom in and then click on the right mouse
button, it advances to the next image in the folder. Is there some
option/property that you have to set?
May 17, 2005 10:56:10 PM

Chris Luck wrote:
> No, not the mouse - use the keyboard.
> If the arrow keys don't move it fast enough then use PageUp/Down and
> Home/End.

Cool, good enough for me, thanks! I had to uncheck "Jump always to next
image if page up/page down key pressed".
May 17, 2005 11:22:58 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Bucky wrote:
>
>> Frederick wrote:
>>
>>> The Gimp allows this.
>>

>> Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
>> Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
>> photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
>> see details conveniently.
>>
> Just download and install Irfanview. It will do all that, and much
> more, and it is free.
> GIMP is a large, complex, and somewhat cumbersome program with very
> powerful editing ability, and a steep learning curve.

It's weird that Gimp is referred to as cumbersome. I doubt that the
learning curve is greater than for anything else with similar
capability, and nothing else with similar capability is free.
However it certainly is overkill for the simple slideshow functionality
that the OP was looking for.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:22:59 PM

Frederick wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Bucky wrote:

>>> Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
>>> Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
>>> photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
>>> see details conveniently.
>>>
>> Just download and install Irfanview. It will do all that, and much
>> more, and it is free.
>> GIMP is a large, complex, and somewhat cumbersome program with very
>> powerful editing ability, and a steep learning curve.
>>
> It's weird that Gimp is referred to as cumbersome. I doubt that the
> learning curve is greater than for anything else with similar
> capability, and nothing else with similar capability is free.
> However it certainly is overkill for the simple slideshow functionality
> that the OP was looking for.

I find the 'fragmented' interface of GIMP highly unconventional, and
difficult to use. Note that my last examination of it was a Windows
version several years ago. And, yes, any program of this power is going
to have a steep learning curve, but GIMP is written for a non-Windows
OS, and the different approach is not a service to Windows users.

An it is rather like driving a Hummer next door to borrow a cup of sugar
for the OP's needs.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:49:42 AM

"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for an image viewer that can do this: zoom in and scroll
> around while in fullscreen mode. The scrolling needs to be fast--like
> grabbing the image and dragging it around with the mouse, or keyboard
> arrows that can move the image quickly. Using a mouse to move the image
> with horizontal and vertical scrollbars is not acceptable.
>
> IrfanView used to be able to do this in fullscreen mode. You would
> press "+" to zoom in, then use right mouse button and drag to scroll
> the image. But with the current version, the right mouse button just
> advances to the next image in the folder.

I'm using the current 3.97 version of IrfanView and full-screen scrolling
with the arrow keys behaves exactly as you specify. What's the problem?

--
Regards,
Chris Luck

oink@woosh.co.nz wrote:
> "Bucky" <uw_badg...@email.com> wrote in
>
> I use PMView Pro. It's very fast and will let you zoom in and out
> in a full screen slide show as well as use the arrow keys, page up,
> page down, etc. to move around. If your not in a slide show you
> can still move forward and backward through the pictures in a
> subdirectory while in full screen mode.
>
> We use it a lot at work to look at TIFF scans of large (36" x 42")
> blue prints. Of everything we tested we found it the easiest and
> fastest.
>
> Th
>
> ere is a 30 day trial version available at www.pmview.com.
>
> PMView does not support RAW which could be a disadvantage these days
> DonB

The Faststone Image Viewer is also very good, and free.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:56:27 AM

You wrote :
> The scrolling needs to be fast--like grabbing the image and
> dragging it around with the mouse, or *keyboard arrows* that
> can move the image quickly.

If the arrow keys don't move it fast enough then use PageUp/Down and
Home/End.

--
Regards,
Chris Luck
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:56:28 AM

Chris Luck wrote:

> "Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote in message
>
>>In fullscreen mode, when I zoom in and then click on the right mouse
>>button, it advances to the next image in the folder. Is there some
>>option/property that you have to set?
>

> No, not the mouse - use the keyboard.
>
> You wrote :
>
>>The scrolling needs to be fast--like grabbing the image and
>>dragging it around with the mouse, or *keyboard arrows* that
>>can move the image quickly.
>

> If the arrow keys don't move it fast enough then use PageUp/Down and
> Home/End.

Some modes do some of this but none have it all quite right.

ACDsee does indeed perform the requested operations nicely. I just
figured out two taps on the + key gets me to 100% zoom then I can pan
around with the mouse (maybe more + taps for different screen resolutions).

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
san francisco native plants
May 18, 2005 12:14:08 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Frederick wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Just download and install Irfanview. It will do all that, and much
>>> more, and it is free.
>>> GIMP is a large, complex, and somewhat cumbersome program with very
>>> powerful editing ability, and a steep learning curve.
>>>
>> It's weird that Gimp is referred to as cumbersome. I doubt that the
>> learning curve is greater than for anything else with similar
>> capability, and nothing else with similar capability is free.
>> However it certainly is overkill for the simple slideshow
>> functionality that the OP was looking for.
>

> I find the 'fragmented' interface of GIMP highly unconventional, and
> difficult to use. Note that my last examination of it was a Windows
> version several years ago. And, yes, any program of this power is going
> to have a steep learning curve, but GIMP is written for a non-Windows
> OS, and the different approach is not a service to Windows users.
>
> An it is rather like driving a Hummer next door to borrow a cup of sugar
> for the OP's needs.

The multi-window interface can take some getting used to. There is a
plug-in for the windows version (IIRC called "Windows Deweirdifier")
that puts all windows in one. Another plug-in is windows file open -
which adds a menu item allowing use of windows file open and file save
dialog boxes instead of the Unix style dialog boxes which are standard.

My experience was that the first windows versions were not particularly
stable - some of the plug-ins in particular were prone to crash. The
new version (2.2) seems good - in XP. The Raw file tool (UFRaw) works
well both as a Gimp plug-in, or stand alone.

I think that the "cumbersome" reputation of Gimp can be at least partly
attributed to experiences that people have had using it with Linux - and
particularly with early versions of Red Hat and other popular
disributions, with early versions of Gnome and other window managers.
There was a general lack of consistency in window and other GUI tool
behaviour, a lot of bugginess, and an unfortunate need for the user to
have to resort to the command line to configure things. Newer
distributions (I have been using Xandros) use a non-buggy interface that
is clean, consistent and would involve practically no learning curve if
migrating from Windows or Mac.

There is a limitation with Gimp - it can handle 8 bit per pixel Tiffs,
when you can output 16 bit Tiffs from Raw files. I have done no test to
see if this is significant, but expect that if pushed, then PS is going
to offer some advantage. That said, I expect that a user who needs to
make large changes to colour balance would probably do this via their
raw file converter, and only make minor colour balance changes etc using PS.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:03:09 AM

As far as photo slideshow software is concerned, I think Photo2VCD/DVD
would be a better option. it's cheap to its strong enough function.
For detailed information: See: http://www.photo2vcd.com
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:00:31 PM

"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote:

>Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
>Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
>photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
>see details conveniently.

I have just released a program that does this. When viewing files you
advance to the next image by hitting enter. At the end of the folder
it asks if you want to go to the next folder - just hit enter again
for yes.

You can click on the image to zoom in on a point at 100%, and drag the
image to scroll. Right clicking give the option to zoom by various
different amounts. Control-Plus enlarges by 1.25, Control-Minus
reduces by 0.8.

It is designed for easily renaming files, but works very well as a
viewer.

For details, see the website at http://www.picnam.com

Andrew Rowley
!