HELP! This PC is making me crazy.

gudio34

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hello I currently have This machine, I have upgraded to windows 7 Ultimate, added 2 Gigs of Ram, and upped the Power supply to 400. I'm trying to install this card. For some reason it won't let me install the device drivers for the new card, because once its installed into the machine it won't boot past the BIOS. Then after letting it sit for awhile on the BIOS screen, you have to hold the power down to shut it off, then I have to repair windows. I'm running out of options. Any suggestions?

mavroxur

Distinguished
Some of the RAM you added might be bad, or the vid card might be defective. Try getting the system up and running stable with the bare minumum (use the onboard video, and run it with the original ram) and add parts one at a time, until the problem crops up. Memtest86+ is a good memory program that can be booted from a USB stick to test the RAM. It smells like you have a bad part somewhere in the mix.

gudio34

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
At this point I'm begining to not care anymore. I've been struggling with this for 2 days now and I'm pretty much done. Just tested the RAM and its good, maybe the card just won't work with this machine, I can't find a reason why, But I'm so irritated right now i wanna throw this machine off a cliff.

mavroxur

Distinguished

So the system is completely stable with all the new ram instaledl, using the onboard video?

gudio34

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I have downgraded the card to the 210 instead of the 220, same issue. Its locking in the bios right after Checking NVRAM..Update OK! Then the machine freezes. Stuck on that screen. I have a feeling its the onboard Graphics, but I have disabled from Device Manager, So I don't know what else I can do.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Is the added RAM the exact; manufacturer, model number, timing set, speed and voltage. Often if it is not exact it will introduce instability. Even when testing good it only indicates the module is OK. You have not provided much information on your system's harware configuration so this is my best guess.

gudio34

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
And with the onboard graphics the system is fully stable and working fine. It boots, loads windows, browses the web, no hangups other than the actual processor and onboard graphics hang ups. All of the previous "windows" problems have stopped since the full reinstall of windows. If the card is in it won't boot past verifying NVRAM, it will show that the test was OK! then when it actually stops doing that it just freezes, the BIOS access (F1, ESC) and won't take any of the keystrokes, not even CTL-ALT-DEL to reboot or anything. Now when the machine first boots it does show the card manufacture and model number and everything. then loads into the BIOS testing, then within 30 or so seconds it freezes. If I take out the graphics card, and restart the machine, all is well...

gudio34

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I would do a MEMTEST but its 10 bucks, and I don't have any SW to create a Bootable ISO from a torrent, also I'm out of CD-ROMS, and this RAM has barely 24 hours on it (if that).

Sorry about the edit, just wanted to add, from several forum posts online that I've searched, these type of cards (the 210 and 220) seem to come across this problem a lot, but it doesn't seem that anyone finds an answer... LOL who knows!

Dogsnake

Distinguished
As to the ram. Please look to be sure each stick has the exact same part number. If it does and all else checks out then I would say the card is defective. Can you install it in a different machine to be sure it is ok? You do not need it's drivers to check it out. The OS has native drivers that will run the card. Pull the memory you added, install the card and see if it works. If it still hangs then it is a pretty good bet the card is bad. The only other thought is the slot you are putting the card in is bad. Try another MB slot. Can you please list the make and model of the computer and new video card? Saying you have this machine and this card says little to help us with the problem. Tks.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Memtest86+ is a free download. You can make a bootable CD (download the ISO) or you can get the USB flashdrive installer, and make a bootable flashdrive. *IF* it passes a few full loops of memtest, then you definitely know it's related to your video card (either the card is defective, or your motherboard doesn't like it). Do that, and then we'll diagnose further.

gudio34

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Dogsnake, I'm pretty positive that its correct, In my OP the "this" is a hyperlink to my computer specs, as well as the exact card that I have installed. But at this time I'm giving up, I may try a raedeon card instead. I'm not sure yet. 2 days to get a machine to work is all I'm giving. I believe its either the slot or the card. Its an ATI motherboard with ATI raedeon native onboard video, so it may not work with the geforce cards because from what I've found online there were some conflicts in older machines between geforce cards and Built in ATI graphics systems, the new SW updates and windows 7 should resolve the problem, but its not. Thank you everyone for trying to help! I really appreciate it.

gudio34

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
No problem, sorry about that. Well I got a radeon 5450, plugged it right in and it installed and updated. I don't know why the Geforce cards wouldn't work but this one was no problem. So for now its all resolved! Thank you to everyone who tried to help!