Your question

[New Build] Photo Editing/Processing, Music Recording/Editing

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Photo
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2012 8:38:52 PM

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer! I am looking to set up a rig that will last me a long while for photo editing (heavy use of lightroom3 and CS5), recording music (guitar setup) with multi track editing and VST use. Gaming would be the least of priorities, but would love to play DIII if it ever comes out :pt1cable: 

I have NEVER actually put together a comp (physically) so I dont know if you would suggest doing an online builder, taking it to a local shop, or just trying my best lol.

Here we go:

Approximate Purchase Date: sooner the better, but I have a system to get me by in the mean time

Budget Range: I would like to stay under $1000 before/after rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo processing and editing (lightroom 3 and CS5), recording and editing musical tracks and use of VST, surfing, games.

Parts Not Required: I have a "decent" setup but dont know if it would be worth it canibalize or just try to get a few hundred for it. I think the only thing of somewhat value would be the primary hard drive, raptor 150gb 10k rpm.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference, who ever is cheaper is fine!

Parts Preferences: either i5 2500k or i7 2600k. I hear ASUS is rock solid, but open to any MOBO suggestions

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: probably not

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I have NEVER actually put together a comp (physically) so I dont know if you would suggest doing an online builder, taking it to a local shop, or just trying my best lol.

And here is what I have come up with so far. Its still a bit more than what I want to spend, but I cannot figure out how to cut corners. Is there anything I am missing? anything not compatible?

mobo :Open Box: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Processor :Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor

RAM :Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

Boot Drive: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Storage Drive: HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: RAIDMAX Simplex ATX-618B Black Steel / Plastic MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Fan: Rosewill RCX-SC1U-1366 70mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

PSU: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Before rebates this will be $1063.31
None of these things said "bare" so I am assuming it will have all cables and wires I will need, or no?

More about : build photo editing processing music recording editing

a c 93 B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2012 3:25:21 PM

Quote:

And here is what I have come up with so far. Its still a bit more than what I want to spend, but I cannot figure out how to cut corners. Is there anything I am missing? anything not compatible?

First off I would *NOT* suggest buying an open box motherboard. The bad thing with open box products is that you don't know what they were returned for and you won't be able to get service and support through the manufacturer if something goes wrong. They may seem like a good deal but they're really not. And if you get a bad one you won't be able to service it. One of these would be better as they're brand new for the same money. But open box = bad news.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
Case: RAIDMAX Simplex ATX-618B Black Steel / Plastic MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Horrible, horrible brand. We use these where I work - the doors fall off, there's no air flow, poor ventilation and upgrading and replacing parts on these is a huge chore. Stay away from Raidmax.

These would be far better choices for the same money (far more modern, better air flow, better ventilation):

Quote:
Fan: Rosewill RCX-SC1U-1366 70mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

You don't need this. Most modern cases don't usually have mounts for 70mm fans so this will actually be pretty useless. You're better off spending the money on getting a case where there's extra fans included.

Quote:
Storage Drive: HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

Not a good choice. I'd recommend sticking with WD or Seagate. I've had way too many Hitachi HDs fail on me. I know HDs are ridiculously priced right now and will be because of the shortage but there's not a lot we can do about it. This would be a better suggestion:

Otherwise everything else I'd stick with.
m
l
January 27, 2012 6:20:00 PM

thanks for the reply!

I have actually gone through quite a few revisions since posting.

well now I am looking at what I could possibly hope to get out of my old comp (would $400 be ridiculous to hope for?) if so, I am thinking about just taking both hard drives out and maybe get a few bucks in spare parts lol. which would leave me with the following:
Quote:

ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Express Motherboard:
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40 GHz Quad-Core Unlocked 
instant rebate
MIR
Corsair GS500 PSU 500w
MIR
Windows 7 64 bit OEM
CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm A70 Dual-Fan CPU Cooler
tax
MIR
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K59 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
instant rebate
tax
MIR
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
tax

total would be $770.12
my hard drives would be:
velociraptor 150gb 10000 rpm
WD 1tb 7200 rpm

down the line if SSD prices become more reasonable I will hop on and upgrade.

but now its looking like I will need a video card of some sort. what would be something cheap that will help me out in this build (remember, gaming is the LEAST thing I am interested in).
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2012 6:28:14 PM

Here's a build suggestion.

CPU & Optical Drive: $237- i5 2500K & Asus

Motherboard & RAM: $144- MSI P67A G43 & Patriot Signature(2x 4GB)

GPU: $210- Gigabyte GTX 560Ti

SSD: $105- Crucial M4 64 GB

HDD: $80- Hitachi 500GB

Case: $45- XClio NightHawk

PSU: $60 -Antec Neo Eco 520

Total (Excluding Rebates): 981 USD

Rebates: 40 USD

There are promos on HDD worth $10, and some other components . Check them out.
m
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2012 8:04:37 PM

Quote:
Case: $45- XClio NightHawk

I'd lump them in with Raidmax and Apevia - case makers like that are for people who want flash and looks, and just buy whatever they see on the shelf at places like Fry's and Micro Center and don't bother doing any research into what they're buying.

Quote:
PSU: $60 -Antec Neo Eco 520

That PSU is a bit underpowered for the 560TI - EVGA recommends minimum 600W, 650 or 700 for SLI.

Quote:

well now I am looking at what I could possibly hope to get out of my old comp (would $400 be ridiculous to hope for?) if so, I am thinking about just taking both hard drives out and maybe get a few bucks in spare parts lol. which would leave me with the following:

Oh if you can reuse any existing parts I would HIGHLY recommend doing so, especially with HD prices the way they are - you'll get a far better system for the same money if you do. If you want suggestions here's what I would suggest. The motherboard, RAM, cooler, and CPU are fine as is.

For case, IMO, I think Lian-Li is incredibly overrated and overpriced for what you get from comparable case makers. I know they're well constructed, have good air flow, things like that. But for the price of the K59 there's far better choices on the market.

Try some of these:
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
!