Please check my temp..

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi again. First time builder.

I have a i5 3570k w 212Evo and my room temp is about 21c.

I havent had the chance to plug in the internet and downlaod any CPU monitoring programs yet and my bios tells me my CPU is running at 35c at idle. I cant check it while Im playing a game or anything.

Is this normal? Have I screwed up the heatsink/thermal paste thingy? Which way is the heatsink meant to be placed anyway?

My case is a Bitfinex Colossus and it has a 20cm front fan and a 20cm top fan.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Killakiwi;

-> Looks good. That's just a 14C rise over the ambient (room) temps and perfectly normal for a slow fan speed at idle.

Do a check during a gaming session. Load temps are much better at confirming you have a good installation.
If you use a program like HWInfo it can track the hi/lo temps for you during a gaming session.
www.hwinfo.com/

The usual setup. Fan blowing air through the heatsink toward the back of the case and warmed air being exhausted by the rear case fan (which is missing in this picture).

i3zbj4.jpg

InvalidError

Titan

The 212 +/EVO has very low fan speed at idle (and still very low under load in my setup - only 700RPM) so somewhat high idle temp is to be expected. Heat propagation through pipes to fins to air is also much slower at low temperature difference so as suggested above, try giving it a proper workout.

As for orientation, that is entirely dependent on how your case airflow is setup. If you have a rear exhaust fan, you can have the heatsink perpendicular to the PCIe slot with the HSF blowing towards the rear exhaust or if you have a blowhole exhaust fan, you can mount the HSF parallel with PCIe blowing towards the blowhole, either setup works.

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Wow, thanks for the answers guys, really appreciate it. Ill dowload a temp monitoring software for my cpu and see how i go.

Once again, cheers.