I already ordered, but another opinion couldn't hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardeho

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Ok guys, I'm upgrading from my current system, a Wal Mart Dell with an Athalon 64 X2 5400+, upgraded PSU and HD 6750. I was mostly playing Xbox, so I have had this PC for a long time with minimal upgrades since I quit wow.

Well now I'm playing SWTOR, and looking to get back into PC gaming. I was trying to keep price below $500, and toward that end, I'm re-using the 500w PSU, the 6750 card, and my 1TB HD.

Like I mentioned, I already ordered the parts from newegg, and they should be here Saturday.

Case - Anatec Three Hundred
Mobo - Asus p8z68-v LE
CPU - i3 2120
Ram - G Skill 8GB (4x2)
OS - Windows 7 64
Total cost with newegg promotions was ~$440 shipped.

I went with the z68 board in case I upgrade to a "k" cpu someday, or in case the p67/h61 are less likely to get updated to support Ivy Bridge. considered going with a lower level i5, but I figure since this PC will be used almost exclusively for gaming, the quad core wasn't worth it for now, especially since I wasn't going to get the 2500k. Got 2x4 RAM so I can add another 2x4 set someday. I am hoping the case lasts me much longer than the components inside. I liked the look of it, and its not as flashy as other gaming boxes, and I hate flashy things and lots of colored lights and stuff. I want a sleek businesslike look.

The video card is going to be the weak point, and I will likely upgrade it at some point in the next 5-6 months, but I think I can live with it for now. The LE board does not support SLI/Crossfire even though it has 2 PCI-e slots, but I dont forsee myself wanting to run that type of setup anyway.

I think it looks like a solid build, this is my first build, and can't wait to get started on it. Hopefully the software side with windows and driver install isn't too hard, its really the only part that makes me nervous. The hardware install seems pretty straight forward.

Let me know if you have any comments/suggestions, and please! let me know if I'm overlooking something.

g-unit1111

Titan
I went with the z68 board in case I upgrade to a "k" cpu someday, or in case the p67/h61 are less likely to get updated to support Ivy Bridge. considered going with a lower level i5, but I figure since this PC will be used almost exclusively for gaming, the quad core wasn't worth it for now, especially since I wasn't going to get the 2500k. Got 2x4 RAM so I can add another 2x4 set someday. I am hoping the case lasts me much longer than the components inside. I liked the look of it, and its not as flashy as other gaming boxes, and I hate flashy things and lots of colored lights and stuff. I want a sleek businesslike look.

Intel has already confirmed that the P67 will support Ivy Bridge so you're good there. The H61/H67 aren't enthusiast boards (they're meant for low-end and HTPC) so chances are that most people probably won't use the newer CPUs with those boards anyways.

I totally agree about flashy things on cases - I had one like that (the Apevia X-Plorer) - had no air flow, the LED lights fell off it, the front USB ports shattered and the temperature LCD never gave correct readings. I chucked it for a much more conservative-looking Cooler Master HAF 912 and it's been problem free ever since. The Antec 300 is an excellent choice.

The video card is going to be the weak point, and I will likely upgrade it at some point in the next 5-6 months, but I think I can live with it for now. The LE board does not support SLI/Crossfire even though it has 2 PCI-e slots, but I dont forsee myself wanting to run that type of setup anyway.

The card probably will be for sure but when the lower - mid end of the 7XXX series should be out by then, that would be a logical upgrade for your build. I generally don't recommend LE boards for that reason but on a tight budget I can see where they would make sense. The i3-2120 is an excellent CPU - I use it on my work PC and it outperforms a lot of quad and hex core CPUs on my network.

I think it looks like a solid build, this is my first build, and can't wait to get started on it. Hopefully the software side with windows and driver install isn't too hard, its really the only part that makes me nervous. The hardware install seems pretty straight forward.

It's pretty straight forward as well - hook your boot drive to SATA-0, set the boot order in the BIOS as 1 - CD-ROM, 2 - HDD, 3 - USB, and put your Windows CD in the drive, after you format, everything is pretty automatic for the most part.

hardeho

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
well, had I known about some of the limitations of the LE boards, I may not have purchased it actually, because I wanted a mobo that would last quite some time, 3-4 years+ is my hope with a CPU upgrade in there somewhere. Probably ok though, I'm definitely a budget minded gamer, and tend to upgrade incrementally, so I buy a good value mid range card in the sub $200 range when I do buy, and can't see myself wanting to deal with hassle of SLI/Crossfire.

As your post title indicates, it is best to ask for advice BEFORE you order when it is easy to change things.

In this case, I think you did well.

I would hope that the 8gb ram kit is 2 x 4gb, not 4 x2gb, although either will work.

The motherboard you ordered is a full atx motherboard.

Are you certain that it will fit properly in your case?
Some Dell pc's had proprietary or BTX motherboards, or were smaller M-atx based cases.

You said you're using an upgraded 500W PSU (i.e. not the original one from your Wal-Mart Dell). What brand and model is it? Your rig won't stress a decent one, but if it's something like a Logisys or Diablotek, you should replace it immediately (don't even install it in your new rig) and be thankful it didn't croak and take other parts with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.