Sign in with
Your question

Sli problem with gtx 460's...please throw some wisdom this way.

Tags:
  • Palit
  • Gtx
  • SLI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2011 7:23:10 PM

Hi there.I have 2 palit gtx 460's.My mother board is one asus m4n98td evo.I have a 650 corsair power supply.

OK,up until now my rig has performed admirably but the other day while tasting the delights of skyrim my frame rate dropped by 2 3rd's.I was left with no other option but to re install windows.

After this was done I encountered another set of problems which are as follows,
1.when sli is enabled i have a stupendouse ammount of flickering on screen,so much so i cant play .
2.Sometimes the flickering is gone but when this happens only one graphics card is being used.

I have tried these things,
So ,my graphics cards are both recognised and i make sure sli is enabled.I have tried both cards individually and they work fine.I have tried different nvidia drivers,namely the latest beta one[285.79] but with no joy .I have re installed the drivers but still no luck.I have tried a different sli bridge connector but ,you guessed ,no luck.I have yet to test the pci slots.

So,if anybody has any ideas...literally anything ,please don't be shy.Thanks people :o 

More about : sli problem gtx 460 throw wisdom

November 26, 2011 7:41:42 PM

You may be hitting your PSU's limit.
November 26, 2011 7:43:56 PM

yeah,this did cross my mind as i have had my pc for a year now and psu's lose efficiency.I sincerely hope this is not the case.Well people any other ideas.
Related resources
November 26, 2011 7:44:11 PM

OPTIONS and IDEAS
*Try another nvidia driver, older drivers.
*Test each card in solo mode, none sli. See if both cards are acting funny, if its one or the other of if both.
*what are the temps of the 2 cards running?
*The power supply is low end psu and stressing for SLI configuration, so that could be it too.

I would start with older drivers, then if that doesnt work i would try testing each card, ( look at the temps as well ), then if that isnt the case try amore powerful psu, i suggest a 750 or 700.
November 26, 2011 7:46:42 PM

Corsair aren't what I would call Low end. Brand new 650W should be enough. but after about a year it's probably not putting out enough power.
November 26, 2011 7:49:41 PM

bravo95 said:
OPTIONS and IDEAS
*Test each card in solo mode, none sli. See if both cards are acting funny, if its one or the other of if both.
*The power supply is low end psu and stressing for SLI configuration, so that could be it too.

I would start with older drivers, then if that doesnt work i would try testing each card, ( look at the temps as well ), then if that isnt the case try amore powerful psu, i suggest a 750 or 700.

thanks for your thoughts,i have tried them individually and they work fine .The temps are fine,in skyrim I max at 70c or so but average around 50c.When both cards were functioning correctly in sli my temps were a little lower.I will try an older driver.
November 26, 2011 7:51:12 PM

PrvtChurch said:
Corsair aren't what I would call Low end. Brand new 650W should be enough. but after about a year it's probably not putting out enough power.

yeah,im leaning towards this conclusion ,i do hope it is not this .money in short spply n' all
November 26, 2011 7:58:10 PM

@greybing
Alright thanks for the feed back, my guess would honestly be the psu. Should upgrade to something stronger, I would look into 650W that was recomended by prvtchurch, orr a 700W. An extra 50 watts wouldnt hurt and if anything would do good for future reasoning. Say if the psu does die down again you have more Watts to spare.

There is no wrong chouce between a 650 or a 700.

Then again this is all up to you financially on what you want to spend.
November 26, 2011 8:05:41 PM

Which is an extremply powerful psu, with its +12V@70A rating will support sli gaurentee Just one thing, its on sale for 120$, its retail is $140.
November 26, 2011 8:16:20 PM

There is so much fail in this thread it's difficult to stop laughing long enough to type this, a 650 Corsair that because it's a year old can't run SLi'd 460's! Oh please! :lol: 
November 26, 2011 8:53:18 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There is so much fail in this thread it's difficult to stop laughing long enough to type this, a 650 Corsair that because it's a year old can't run SLi'd 460's! Oh please! :lol: 

ok mate ,no need to be narky .
November 26, 2011 9:04:50 PM

greybing said:
ok mate ,no need to be narky .

Yes there is! Have a look here and see many other people are are having problems with Skyrim and then bear in mind that I'm running SLi'd 560Ti's on an older 620w PSU and then tell me that this thread isn't laughable.
November 26, 2011 9:19:49 PM

The same thing happened to me when I first set up SLi. This seems tedious, but try uninstalling all of your drivers, then install a driver for each card one at a time. With one card in the system at a time. When I did that it stopped flickering. Also, try downloading the latest SLi profile from the nVidia site. If that STILL doesn't work, try getting ANOTHER new SLi brigde... I tried THREE! Also, maybe flipping the brigde...may seem wierd, but when you are running low on options try EVERYTHING before RMAing something...
November 26, 2011 9:21:08 PM

All i recommended was a stronger psu, if it works for you, good for you. some things do not work for me but work for others. knowing this, pc components are all not going to work universally the same depend on the configuration of the system, or how it is treated.
November 26, 2011 9:24:36 PM

bravo95 said:
All i recommended was a stronger psu, if it works for you, good for you. some things do not work for me but work for others. knowing this, pc components are all not going to work universally the same depend on the configuration of the system, or how it is treated.

If you knew anything about PSU's and the power requirements of the cards in question then you would know that it should be more than capable of running them in SLi and therefore the problem is likely to be elsewhere and a new PSU is not the answer.
November 26, 2011 9:33:00 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Yes there is! Have a look here and see many other people are are having problems with Skyrim and then bear in mind that I'm running SLi'd 560Ti's on an older 620w PSU and then tell me that this thread isn't laughable.

irrespective of how 'laughable 'this thread is ,i said there was no need to be rude.It would seem my words fall on deaf ears.
November 26, 2011 9:38:06 PM

greybing said:
irrespective of how 'laughable 'this thread is ,i said there was no need to be rude.It would seem my words fall on deaf ears.

I can't help that you think I was being rude so just get a 2KW PSU and everything will be fine I'm sure.
November 26, 2011 9:41:54 PM

i would just like say that the problem is not skyrim specific.It just occured whilst playing that game.Here are the problems im having again as reminder,
1 .when sli is enabled i ether have amassively flickery image
2.or the flickery image is gone but only one of the cards is working.
November 26, 2011 9:45:31 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I can't help that you think I was being rude so just get a 2KW PSU and everything will be fine I'm sure.

ok,will you sub me the money if you are wrong.
November 26, 2011 9:46:55 PM

@mousemonkey

As i mentioned before not everything universal works the same, i can see that this part was neglected in your reply.

Reading your reply, you said "the problem is likely to be elsewhere and a new PSU is not the answer".

Let me ask you this, if you insist that you are smart when it comes to this specific situation, please enlighten the rest of us on what the answer is.
November 26, 2011 10:04:19 PM

thanks bravo95,cash091 and prvtchurch.I will bear all you have said in mind.
November 26, 2011 10:04:41 PM

bravo95 said:
OPTIONS and IDEAS

bravo95 said:
@mousemonkey

As i mentioned before not everything universal works the same, i can see that this part was neglected in your reply.

Reading your reply, you said "the problem is likely to be elsewhere and a new PSU is not the answer".

Let me ask you this, if you insist that you are smart when it comes to this specific situation, please enlighten the rest of us on what the answer is.

I'm not insisting anything, you on the other hand are suggesting the OP spend money on a PSU that may not be needed. Care to put your own money on the line and buy the PSU for the OP?
November 26, 2011 10:20:57 PM

Mousemonkey said:

I have a 4 year old PSU thats running 2 overclocked 460's and an o.c.ed 2500k with no problems. According to some people it shouldn't even be running :D 
November 26, 2011 11:17:42 PM

@mousemonkey

Scenario: if the op does spend money on a new psu, and it doesn't solve the problem, return the psu to the store with a refund ( i would not recommend online shopping due to S&H fees ).

There is no harm in that, if it is something else; hey okay its something else.
Im just questioning your "Knowledge" that you say you have when it comes to these situations because your still not giving an answer or a slightest idea.
November 26, 2011 11:39:02 PM

lets all agree,the problem could well be my psu ,it could well not be.When I got my system i calculated how much power i would need and i think it was around the 600 mark.So it is not unreasnoable to think that my psu could have lost efficiency and is not providing enough power.Considering I have tried all software related avenues for a fix ,in the absense of any other ideas ,i may just have to buy another psu.
November 26, 2011 11:40:44 PM

homeboy,just a quick question concerning your pictorial avatar of stalin,why?
November 26, 2011 11:49:01 PM

@greybing

alright, this is just becoming immature anyways, best leave it where it is.
!