Hyper 212 Evo thermal paste application

jtomsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hello,

I'm getting ready to build a new computer and the only thing that I really am nervous about is installing the Hyper 212 EVO onto the CPU (i5 3570). I've read a lot about the best way to apply thermal paste but I wanted to pick the community's brain one more time to see if anyone has installed this specific cooler before.

I think I'm probably going to just do the small dot of paste on the center of the CPU and then apply the cooler, but I've heard others talk about adding a small amount of paste to the cooler first, or just applying the dot to the cooler. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!

jtomsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I'm a little confused because the Arctic Silver 5 (which I plan on using) instructions state to apply the paste using the line method on the CPU. However, the Hyper 212 EVO instructions state to apply the paste uniformly across the cooler base itself (I'm a little worried about doing that in case I apply too much). But others have had success with the dot method.

Hi :)

You will get two answers to this....one you already know....then there is the PROPER way...

My company has built high end gamers machines and servers for YEARS...

SMALL PEA sized blob then spread it evenly (we use an old credit card)

All the best Brett :)

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

You should remember to add that not all heatsinks use the same method.

For example the Hyper 212+ was found to have thermal compound applied best by placing lines on the cracks between the pipes and the contact plate.

Where as with the Hyper 212 EVO it has a flat contact plate so you can place a single rice grain/bb sized drop in the center of the cpu.

With my Noctua NH-D14 I found best way was rice grain/bb in center but mine also has a flat contact plate.

One of the main reasons why the drop in the center is the norm is because most cpus are concaved on the top so you will have more of a gap (normally, this isn't always the case) in the center versus the sides of the cpu. This is why people suggest drop in the center so when you screw down the heatsink the paste can naturally spread outwards. Rice grain/bb are examples of the amount of application you apply to the cooler/cpu.

Hi :)

I have done it my way for well over 20 years.....on cpus you have never even seen lol....

You carry on doing it your way, and me mine.....but I have NEVER blown a cpu in all that time from overheating...

And concave Cpu`s...really lol... :)

All the best Brett :)

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Okay, whatever you say boss man. I am just saying there is known ways to do it for certain coolers.

Not like I was disagreeing with you anyways, since I did say that your method is the norm. So I don't see what you are getting at talking about you doing it your way and me doing it mine.. its the same way... The only thing I spoke of that was different than what you said was regarding to heatsinks like the Hyper 212+....

I guess you have never heard of lapping, seeing how you lold at my comment about concaved cpus.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
i have built thousands of systems and i apply a small amount or a couple dabs and then spread it with a credit card. i do this on everything from laptop CPU/GPU to NB/SB, Xboxes, and many other heat sink applications. never had an issue and its always made this run cooler.

popatim

Titan
I'm sure you've lapped many a cpu Brett, the center area almost never gets touched and usually its one of the corners is the problem area...so yes the heat spreaders are somewhat concave though you'd never see it otherwise.

I apply TIM very simular to your method.

Small pea sized dot for the paste that comes with the Hyper 212 EVO. You can either use a credit card to spread the paste around the middle of the processor until you get a thin layer, OR you can use the weight of the cooler, once it has been installed to spread the paste around (this will be automatic, as the weight of the cooler pushes the blob down into a thin layer).

However, paste applications will depend on which paste you are using! For example, arctic silver 5 gives best performance when using a line method, however this doesn't mean the cooler master paste will give the best performance with a line method!

jtomsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've thought about doing the line method with the arctic silver but I'm worried about putting too much with the line and having it spill out of the top and bottom of the CPU. I guess any of the methods can work well or not work well, depending on how you do it.

I just assembled my 3570K/Evo combo last week and followed AS5 instructions to tint both the cpu and the cooler then do the line method. Works like a champ.

Idles with fan as low as it will go at 25-27C in a 70F house. Just scrapes 60C with all cores at 4.4GHz and stock voltage.

From Arctic's site:
"Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired."

Does it really matter? No.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

So basically the argument I am seeing is why bother for a compound that offers better cooling, when you can have AS5 and have 200hr down time to cure :)

What down time? I'm using it and there has been no down time and no problems with a stable overclock. 2-5C over the course of curing is irrelevant.

Then again, if the products you mentioned perform better is absolute temps then by all means they are the way to go! :) Someone should have sold me on them two weeks ago ;p

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

By down time I mean less than stressful period on your system. Mainly because when I am going for max overclocks, 5C can make or break it so running prime95 or anything while the compound is still curing will produce incorrect results therefore I see it as down time till it has cured before I can continue my ocing journey.

Right now you can pick up MX-4 or NT-H1 from newegg for about the same price as the AS5. Out of the 3 the Noctua compound is going to be the best stuff to use. I recieved some NT-H1 with my NH-D14 cooler and it really amazed me at how it beat down my AS5 compound. Sadly they only gave me some much with my cooler so when I ran out I had to go buy some MX-4 which is basically neck and neck with the NT-H1.

All in all you can't go wrong with either of the compounds but for the smart buyer the NT-H1 and MX-3/MX-4 are better buys over the AS5 because of their improved cooling/no cure times.

jtomsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for the info as well. I've decided to go with the Arctic Cooling MX-4 now, and I'm wondering if there are any other specific tips for applying that thermal paste to the 212 EVO? A lot of people have talked about spreading it but I'm worried about getting any air bubbles when I apply the cooler and also maybe making the layer too thick or thin, so I might just do the line method or the (small) pea method on the CPU itself. Any thoughts?

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Some people have been able to use a card without any problems but for the most part using a card to spread the compound is less effective as using a dot in the center. Mainly because when you spread the compound it can create unwanted air bubbles and it may or may not fill all of the gaps properly because of it being thinned out.

I had some Coollaboratory that was suggested to spread on the cpu but that wasn't as effective as a dot in the center for my cooler (wouldn't even show any compound the center of the cooler after applying and screwing it down, only showed it on the sides.)

G

Sorry I'm jumping in late to this thread. I'm still confused about tinting. It's finishing the process. Do you just clean off around the edges or actually wipe off most of the compound almost to the point of removing it all? this step (installing an aftermarket cooler) is the scariest part of my first buid to me.

baverdi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

This video shows how thermal paste will spread using a piece of glass.
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7L0Qj13Q