Sign in with
Your question

[New Build] Second home-built gaming rig.

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2012 10:54:32 PM

The following is a list of pc components that I plan to purchase within the next week to begin my new gaming/mulitmedia rig. Please feel free to offer opinions of selected components or offer any constructive criticism you feel needed in my choice of any given item.

Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition case

Asrock 990fx Extreme4 AMD AM3+ Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

RAIDMAX Blackstone series RX-700AC 700W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 80 PLUS

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

EVGA 560ti 1gb GPU

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm (purchasing additional 120mm fan)/

LG Black Internal 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback Blu-ray Disc Rewriter

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 12000:1 (1000:1) Built in Speakers

The only items I'm not listing here are the keyboard/ mouse (which will remain unchanged), and the new DVI cable. Thanks for looking.

Cost of build- $1056.88
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2012 11:00:45 PM

at that price you get better performance with an intel i5 quadcore and a motherboard with a Z68 chip set
January 25, 2012 11:18:22 PM

I agree with Outlander. If you can find a way to fit it into your budget, go with Intel and the 2500k CPU. I was going extremely budget and did the AMD Phenom 955 BE. Really wish I'd had the money to go Intel.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2012 11:25:49 PM

Yep. Get a $125 ASRock Z68 Extreme3, a 2500K ($220 on the Egg, but $180 if you can get to a Microcenter store), a good 750W PSU for future 560 Ti SLI (OCZ ZS, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), and a $35 Hyper 212 EVO, which is worth the extra $5.
January 26, 2012 12:12:51 AM

i reviewed the suggested components and it'll be an additional 43 dollars ~ more than my current build setup. the performance may be better, but where would i stand with upgrade ability with the extreme3 motherboard? my budget is stressed to the max with this build and i squeezed every possible penny into the list i compiled as i could. i can't give any. thank you very much for the advice, and i understand the performance gain would be greater with the different cpu/mobo, but im just not too familiar with intel products. i guess im asking, 'is this a solid build as far as an AMD based build goes?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2012 12:20:51 AM

Is that $43 with or without a trip to Microcenter?

The mobo'll be fine with two of any of today's GPUs, which is about as much as you can expect to get out of any board that isn't X79 or the $270 Z68 Extreme7 (those will handle three-way SLI/Xfire). More expensive ones might get you a couple of bins more for your maximum overclock, but you won't need to push your 2500k as far as it can go.

The 2500K, I think, would actually save you money in the future. If you go AMD, you'll have to do a platform/CPU upgrade in your next big upgrade. If you go Intel, though, you'll just be able to overclock to 4.5ghz, and it'll be like having whole new CPU for free.
If money is that tight, consider getting a cheaper case: the Rosewill Challenger is $55 and quite good.
January 26, 2012 2:11:11 AM

I agree with the other folks about going intel and a z68 mobo. You will not only have a processor that is better and slightly future proof but you will also have the option to insert a ivy bridge processor at a future date as they will be compatible with the 1155 socket.

Also if you are going with the 1600x900 res you might drop down to a 550ti and save a few bucks there. I would still try for the 560ti if possible but it is an option.

I have found that if I couldn't afford it all at once I could get the main system and build and then ad gpu and a\m cooling at a later date when funds are more available.

If you did that then with a z68 mobo you could use the on processor graphics for a few weeks until you saved for the gpu that you want.

As far as not knowing much about intel,its not much different info than you are used to other than product name. A little research can tell you all you need to know.
January 26, 2012 3:07:23 AM

okay after a little research, i have come to the conclusion that it would probably be in my best interests (which you all have pointed out) to go ahead and go with the Intel setup as opposed to the AMD. I am aware that the Ivy Bridge cpus will be out around april? but with the i5 2500k with the ability to overclock to a stable 4.5ghz (would still like to know just out of curiosity the idle and load temps) will have me not 'needing' an upgrade for quite some time. i was going with the amd originally for the six cores, price, and overclocking capability- however, with six cores at a stock clock will only run at ~2.8ghz and the highest stable overclock of ~3.7ghz (which im running now on my phenom II 955 BE). getting the AMD would definately be a more expensive route in the long run, with constant upgrades needed as higher end gaming and software demands rise. thanks for the advice. oh btw i also opted away from the thermaltake v9 case and went with the Cooler Master HAF 912 and im going to purchase an additional top mount 200mm fan for it. anyway, thanks for the advice. below is a list of the revised build. anyone who cares to throw in a comment, opinion, etc feel free to do so. i pretty excited about this build and the wife and i are taking a trip to the mountains before i have a chance to order my parts. hopefully i can manage to keep it together with the anticipation of getting home to place my order, lol.

January 26, 2012 3:11:48 AM

Cooler Master HAF 912 case

Asrock Extreme3 z68 Motherboard

Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3ghz Processor

RAIDMAX Blackstone series RX-700AC 700W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 80 PLUS

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

EVGA 560ti 1gb GPU (do not plan on running in SLI any time soon. i have mixed feelings about the concept.)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Evo (purchasing additional 120mm fan)

Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm fan

LG Black Internal 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback Blu-ray Disc Rewriter

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 12000:1 (1000:1) Built in Speakers

The only items I'm not listing here are the keyboard/ mouse (which will remain unchanged), and the new HDMI cable. Thanks for looking.

Cost of build- $1,108.37
January 26, 2012 3:26:59 AM

Your build looks solid. I only have the advice to go with a better mobo. Asrock boards are great when they work. but lots of guys reporting issues.

I suggest one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

They are all boards known for their quality and while your asrock board might be good to you are more likely to have probs and need to rma the board a time or two until you get a good one.

By the way, which mountains are you going to? I am from the Smokies!
January 26, 2012 3:32:15 AM

thanks for the reply. i may have to look into mobo alternatives, although this asrock i am running now has been great so far. And it just so happens we ARE indeed going to the smokies within the next two or three weeks, lol
January 26, 2012 3:46:17 AM

which motherboard out of those 4 is the better mobo?
January 26, 2012 3:51:24 AM

Hey I am from pigeon forge tenn. My dad went to school with Dolly Parton.

My family has businesses there. If you haven't already booked accommodations,I may be able to get you a discount on a mountainside condo or a nice cabin or something. It is off season and my uncles will prob. cut a deal for the weekend or so.

If interested you can email me @ rustymaples@yahoo.com

Their bus. is Smoky mountain premier challets in gatlinburg
January 26, 2012 4:00:55 AM

i may take you up on that. lol thanks. we were going to rent with cabinsusa and found a really nice cabin. we are only staying 2 nights(fri and sat) and leaving sunday. not sure which weekend but itll be within the next 3 weeks definately lol. i looked for a website for their accommodations but couldn't find anything. :( 
January 26, 2012 4:35:39 AM

I can't find a link to them either,but if you are interested email me and I will call them and see if they still have a websight going on. I can at least put you in contact with them.
January 26, 2012 4:38:10 AM

email sent. :)  not saying you're feeding me a line by no means, but if they are a legitimate business they should still be able to be looked up through a directory and i haven't found them yet.
January 26, 2012 4:47:26 AM

Yeah I see them at christmas and stuff but rarely talk about work. They may have changed the name or something. They have or at least have had a few businesses in gatlinburg including maples brothers home builders , and I just thought of the new name Maples premier chalets.
Here is the link
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60842-d259930-...

They also have maples brothers gas and grocery and smokey mtn par 5 golf. They have been the most prominent builders in gatlinburg for years but have recently slowed down and readying for retirement. Anyway check out the sight and if you like anything let me know and I will give them a call.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2012 9:35:13 PM

On the topic of the HAF: I recommend sticking the 200mm in the front and moving the existing front fan to the top.
January 26, 2012 10:09:36 PM

thank you. i had considered that myself. i have a spare 120mm fan that i can use in conjunction with the swapped fan on top as long as the cable is long enough.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2012 10:53:53 PM

Sounds good.
!