Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics card installation help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2011 8:44:06 PM

I got a new computer build with an MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB. I got all of my parts installed, they work, and the graphics card's fans work, etc. the problem I'm having is that I cannot get my computer to display anything on the monitor despite it working in the case. Now, although it is a new computer BUILD, I'm using some parts from my old computer such as an i5-750, 8GB of DDR3 ram, the old hard drive (with ALL of the old data AND old copy of Windows 7 64 bit installed, ALONG with the old graphics card's drivers [radeon hd 4850 1gb]), and the old motherboard:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/b [...] ntver=true
I don't know what to do to get it to work because it has all of the old base parts such as the motherboard, CPU, ram, AND the old hard drive with all of the old data on there, INCLUDING the operating system and the drivers for my old graphics card! And even so, nothing will show up on my monitor! I've even used my OLD graphics card with the SAME motherboard and it STILL won't work! It says that it's connected to my PC and it RECOGNIZES is but it will just say "NO SIGNAL".
Please help!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 8:58:15 PM

Here's a sticky for troubleshooting:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Also I would make sure the card is fully seated in the slot. Double check to ensure the video power cable is inserted completely.

The monitor says no signal, yes? How are you connecting the card, DVI or HDMI?

So no video at all during post, correct? Try connecting some other way to monitor, and make sure the monitor is reading the correct input.
November 26, 2011 9:35:20 PM

Hmmm, well I tried connecting it both my 1080p monitor and my 1080p tv, both using different HDMI wires to the respective displays. I've also tried to wipe the ram sticks and disconnect the hard drives, as well as rebooting the computer several times to see of it recognizes it sooner or later. I'm going to try to connect with a DVI cable and then maybe a VGA cable.... Thanks for the reply BTW
Score
Related resources
November 30, 2011 4:25:14 AM

Nevermind :p  it turns out that I just hadn't plugged in the Molex connector into the CPU, noob mistake!
Score
December 5, 2011 2:46:53 AM

Best answer selected by Phil135.
Score
!