Computer sometimes wont turn on

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Every once in a while I go to turn my computer on, and nothing will happen when I press the power button. Occasionally merely holding the power button for a bit turns it on, but often times when this happens im required to fiddle around inside until it works.

I merely unplug and replug the power connectors on the motherboard, and just kind of generally fiddle with things, and then it tends to work, but every now and then none of it works, I walk away, and then like magic five minutes later it will turn on just fine.

This whole thing is perplexing for me. It doesn't happen more than 2-3 times a month and never takes more than ten minutes to fix, so it isn't that big of an issue, but I'd at least like to know why this is happening, does any one have any tips?

my specs are:
1200w sparkle
2x gtx470 sli
i5 2500k cpu
2x4gb ddr3 1866 ripjaw ram
P67A-GD55 motherboard
ocz vertex 3 120gb
and around 5 other hdd
1 BR burner

I would suspect a glitch in your PSU startup circuits.

If you have a multimeter, you can check this.If you measure between the green wire and ground, you should measure 5 volts (well, over about 3.5 volts) as long as the system is plugged in and PSU switch is on. Press the case power switch and the voltage should drop to 0 volts and rise back to 5 volts when you release the switch.

The second thing to check is the gray wire. It should be at 0 volts until you press the case power switch. In less than 1/2 second, it should go to around 5 volts.

Both wires need to this each time or your system will not start reliably.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Thanks a lot guys, it seems as if it is a slight mixture between what jsc was suggesting, and slightly messy wiring which scout_03 was referring to, the problem hasn't come up since I wrote this post, so I'm hoping being more careful with the wiring was enough. If it continues, I will definitely get a voltage meter and delve inside the beast to do some further testing