BD+! Yay!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.uk.games.video.playstation,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

I can't wait for Advanced Access Content System (AACS) and BD+ to get here!
I hate the "fair use" nonsense you hippies always throw around!

Fred Liken wrote:

> I can't wait for Advanced Access Content System (AACS) and BD+ to get here!
> I hate the "fair use" nonsense you hippies always throw around!

Is it too early to start gambling on how fast AACS will be broken?

Grinder wrote:
> Fred Liken wrote:
>
>> I can't wait for Advanced Access Content System (AACS) and BD+ to get
>> here!
>> I hate the "fair use" nonsense you hippies always throw around!
>

> Is it too early to start gambling on how fast AACS will be broken?

Probably 30 minutes. There's a Walmart just down the street from me,
and they have plenty of Sharpies there.

Swi

In alt.games.video.xbox babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote:

> This controversial technology would require that disc players maintain
> permanent connections to content providers via the Internet, making it
> possible for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification
> process, enabling the provider to send the player a sort of
> "self-destruct code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM
> "update" that would actually render the player useless, perhaps unless
> and until it is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming.

Um. No ISP has 100% uptime. No consumer ISP can even do 99.99% uptime (ie.
<1 hour downtime a year!)

So you're saying that if your internet connection goes down while watching
a movie, the movie will essentially fry your DVD player?

Yeah, THAT'S going to go over well with the consumers.

Besides, how long will it take for someone to reverse engineer the traffic
between the player and the studio's server, and create their own hardware
"Internet spoofer"?

Either that, or people will just turn to piracy for "safe" disks.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> In alt.games.video.xbox babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote:
>

>>This controversial technology would require that disc players maintain
>>permanent connections to content providers via the Internet, making it
>>possible for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification
>>process, enabling the provider to send the player a sort of
>>"self-destruct code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM
>>"update" that would actually render the player useless, perhaps unless
>>and until it is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming.
>

> Um. No ISP has 100% uptime. No consumer ISP can even do 99.99% uptime (ie.
> <1 hour downtime a year!)
>
> So you're saying that if your internet connection goes down while watching
> a movie, the movie will essentially fry your DVD player?
>
> Yeah, THAT'S going to go over well with the consumers.
>
> Besides, how long will it take for someone to reverse engineer the traffic
> between the player and the studio's server, and create their own hardware
> "Internet spoofer"?
>
> Either that, or people will just turn to piracy for "safe" disks.

Well no, that's actually what some reports are saying, I just cut and
pasted. Perhaps I should have said that. I'm guessing it'll be similiar
to what the SAT companies do know, with regard to frying your cards. But
yeah, one would have to buy into the always connected thing. I'm
assuming something they'll try and sell you, like video on demand or the
like.

babanoosh wrote:
> Doug Jacobs wrote:
>
>> In alt.games.video.xbox babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote:
>>

>>> This controversial technology would require that disc players
>>> maintain permanent connections to content providers via the Internet,
>>> making it possible for discs that fail a security check to trigger a
>>> notification process, enabling the provider to send the player a sort
>>> of "self-destruct code." This code would come in the form of a flash
>>> ROM "update" that would actually render the player useless, perhaps
>>> unless and until it is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming.
>>

>> Um. No ISP has 100% uptime. No consumer ISP can even do 99.99%
>> uptime (ie. <1 hour downtime a year!)
>>
>> So you're saying that if your internet connection goes down while
>> watching a movie, the movie will essentially fry your DVD player?
>>
>> Yeah, THAT'S going to go over well with the consumers.
>>
>> Besides, how long will it take for someone to reverse engineer the
>> traffic between the player and the studio's server, and create their
>> own hardware "Internet spoofer"?
>>
>> Either that, or people will just turn to piracy for "safe" disks.
>

> Well no, that's actually what some reports are saying, I just cut and
> pasted. Perhaps I should have said that. I'm guessing it'll be similiar
> to what the SAT companies do know, with regard to frying your cards. But
> yeah, one would have to buy into the always connected thing. I'm
> assuming something they'll try and sell you, like video on demand or the
> like.

now, know, pOTAYto.

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
> Fred Liken wrote:
>
>> I can't wait for Advanced Access Content System (AACS) and BD+ to get
>> here!
>> I hate the "fair use" nonsense you hippies always throw around!
>
> Is it too early to start gambling on how fast AACS will be broken?

AACS requires a connection to ...yuck... I'm going to say it... I feel so
dirty... BIG BROTHER, doesn't it?

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Fred Liken wrote:
>>

>>>I can't wait for Advanced Access Content System (AACS) and BD+ to get
>>>here!
>>>I hate the "fair use" nonsense you hippies always throw around!
>>
>>Is it too early to start gambling on how fast AACS will be broken?
>

> AACS requires a connection to ...yuck... I'm going to say it... I feel so
> dirty... BIG BROTHER, doesn't it?

That's part of the proposal, but I'm not confident it will happen. It's
hard for me to believe they're willing to give up on consumers that
aren't willing to give the box access to a land line.

>> AACS requires a connection to ...yuck... I'm going to say it... I feel so
>> dirty... BIG BROTHER, doesn't it?
>
> That's part of the proposal, but I'm not confident it will happen. It's
> hard for me to believe they're willing to give up on consumers that aren't
> willing to give the box access to a land line.

How many is that? Not a lot at all, I'd expect. Certainly not enough to
eliminate their drive to stop piracy, which hurts them in publication.
Certainly not enough to offset the billions they say they lose each year.
And, if it's the only way to watch stuff in HD, people will buy it no matter
what. Even the slashtwatters will buy it.

It's moot.

"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

> I think there is no doubt it will come about progressively. Your boy Doug
> has a point. It's absurd to think a new technology that already costs a
> bundle will further alienate itself from the populous because of some over
> the top live encryption policy.

Like DirecTv, DISH Network, any Cable company, TIVO?
Nonsense.
Devices connected to servers are ubiquitous.

> Most will not support it, unless the security is transparent and doesn't
> affect them.

Most what?

> The beauty of Blu-Ray encryption methods rests in its scalability. They
> may very well, do the sporadic live updates to end boxes, but it won't be
> until Home Theatre has converged with the web (mainstream).

First of all, there's no need. A simple land line connection like a TIVO,
DirecTv, etc, etc, etc, uses will be enough. Second, BD+ allows it on disk,
so all you'll need to do is watch a new movie with the new firmware
revision, or what not.

> But this seems like something that will be more prevalent with the
> inception of IPTV.

Perhaps prevalent, but it's already ubiquitous.

Fred Liken wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>

>>I think there is no doubt it will come about progressively. Your boy Doug
>>has a point. It's absurd to think a new technology that already costs a
>>bundle will further alienate itself from the populous because of some over
>>the top live encryption policy.
>

> Like DirecTv, DISH Network, any Cable company, TIVO?
> Nonsense.
> Devices connected to servers are ubiquitous.

Not required, not required and not required. Those interfaces provide
enhancements. Blu-Ray will require it just to function for basic
playback? Don't think that's going to happen too fast.

>>Most will not support it, unless the security is transparent and doesn't
>>affect them.
>

> Most what?

people

>>The beauty of Blu-Ray encryption methods rests in its scalability. They
>>may very well, do the sporadic live updates to end boxes, but it won't be
>>until Home Theatre has converged with the web (mainstream).
>

> First of all, there's no need. A simple land line connection like a TIVO,
> DirecTv, etc, etc, etc, uses will be enough. Second, BD+ allows it on disk,
> so all you'll need to do is watch a new movie with the new firmware
> revision, or what not.

Your combining two seperate things. Revision(s) on media similiar to
Dash updates on Xbox media = one thing. Constant probing via POTS just
to watch media; quite another.

>>But this seems like something that will be more prevalent with the
>>inception of IPTV.
>

> Perhaps prevalent, but it's already ubiquitous.

Not in its intended application.

>> Like DirecTv, DISH Network, any Cable company, TIVO?
>> Nonsense.
>> Devices connected to servers are ubiquitous.
>
> Not required, not required and not required.

True for the first two, false for the last. Tivo does indeed require a
connection to the mothership.

> Those interfaces provide enhancements. Blu-Ray will require it just to
> function for basic playback? Don't think that's going to happen too fast.

The point is, even if you say those don't require them, the vast majority
are hooked up. It's ubiquitous already.

>>>Most will not support it, unless the security is transparent and doesn't
>>>affect them.
>>
>> Most what?
>
> people

Then, that's exactly what will happen. It is transparent and won't affect
them.

>>>The beauty of Blu-Ray encryption methods rests in its scalability. They
>>>may very well, do the sporadic live updates to end boxes, but it won't be
>>>until Home Theatre has converged with the web (mainstream).
>>
>> First of all, there's no need. A simple land line connection like a
>> TIVO, DirecTv, etc, etc, etc, uses will be enough. Second, BD+ allows it
>> on disk, so all you'll need to do is watch a new movie with the new
>> firmware revision, or what not.
>
> Your combining two seperate things. Revision(s) on media similiar to Dash
> updates on Xbox media = one thing. Constant probing via POTS just to watch
> media; quite another.

No, not really. You were talking about updating the end boxes. That
doesn't require a connection.

>>>But this seems like something that will be more prevalent with the
>>>inception of IPTV.
>>
>> Perhaps prevalent, but it's already ubiquitous.
>
> Not in its intended application.

What's it? You use too many pronouns.

babanoosh wrote:

> Your combining two seperate things. Revision(s) on media similiar to
> Dash updates on Xbox media = one thing. Constant probing via POTS just
> to watch media; quite another.

"You're" grammar ninja! I'm not interested in YOUR little flame war.

>> Your combining two seperate things. Revision(s) on media similiar to Dash
>> updates on Xbox media = one thing. Constant probing via POTS just to
>> watch media; quite another.
>
> "You're" grammar ninja! I'm not interested in YOUR little flame war.

What?

Fred Liken wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>

>>>Your combining two seperate things. Revision(s) on media similiar to Dash
>>>updates on Xbox media = one thing. Constant probing via POTS just to
>>>watch media; quite another.
>>
>>"You're" grammar ninja! I'm not interested in YOUR little flame war.
>

> What?

Blu-Ray :), take your medicine.

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> Not to mention all the privacy concerns... Heck, we can barely trust the
> credit card companies to keep our information private. Do people really
> want the media companies keeping a list of every disc we ever watch? It's
> DIVX all over again. And we all know how popular DIVX proved to be...

You know Doug, I'm not too familiar with the whole DivX/DVD fiasco. At
that time, I wasn't the geek that I am today. VCR was fine, I was single
and thus more interested in spending my bi-weekly checks at the clubs on
the weekend then tech. So enlighten me. As I understand it, DIVX was a
company, or a standard competing with DVD? Not to be confused with
MPEG-4 DivX codec right? Because the latter is a fabulous thing. Lots of
my video media is in either DivX, OGM, or Xvid format. Actually, I just
bought this little kick ass Philips progressive DVD player for my
bedroom that plays DivX media. Nowhere near as great as playing this
media on the the Xbox (w/ xbox media center), but extremely nifty to
have in a DVD player for less then 60 bucks. For example, I can usually
fit 3-4 disc dvd sets onto one dvd with this compression.

BTW, funny story about the grandparents and TIVO. I'm pawning off my
older bedroom DVD player (to justify the DivX one) to my father, who
still thinks the VCR is cutting edge. He should get a pleasant surprise
when he pops in the Andy Griffith show DVD compilation that I got 'em
from the Walmart bargain bin.

"Sir Chewbury Gubbins" <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org> wrote in message

>> AGREED! So nice to finally see someone with some common sense around
>> here!
>> I think the iTunes should be the only way to get music. It just makes
>> sense
>> to me. The others are too easily stolen and taken by thieves and used by
>> bandits! Every time you rip a CD, an Angle gets AIDS.
>
> What a great idea - lets ditch decent sound quality forever and all
> stick to shitty compressed audio.

Exactly! That way you wouldn't have to pay for those really expensive
DVDAudio/SACD/STFU+ systems that the MAN tries to make you think you need!
iPod only, because it is made by the GOOD GUYS!

babanoosh wrote:

> So why aren't you using a Mac, by the "good guys" Mr. OE6? I personally
> feel the "good guys" need to get their heads out of there asses and
> start selling OSX as a standalone instead of in an overpriced, eclectic,
> and unnecessarily proprietary bundle (more commonly known as the G5).

OSX works as well as it does *because* Apple have complete control over
the hardware. Start trying to make it work on any old pile of shite and
you just end up with Windoze driver and user experience hell.

(Oh, and Apple do sell much cheaper hardware than G5s.)

"Calum Benson" <calum.benson@nospampleaseimscottish.iol.ie> wrote in message

> OSX works as well as it does *because* Apple have complete control over
> the hardware. Start trying to make it work on any old pile of shite and
> you just end up with Windoze driver and user experience hell.

I always laugh when you and your ilk say stupid things like that. Want to
talk about user experience hell, just use get a sad Mac or a bomb. lol.
Yep, awesome user experience there! "Your system is broke. Please contact
customer support because we aren't going to help you fix it."

babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote:

> You know Doug, I'm not too familiar with the whole DivX/DVD fiasco. At
> that time, I wasn't the geek that I am today. VCR was fine, I was single
> and thus more interested in spending my bi-weekly checks at the clubs on
> the weekend then tech. So enlighten me. As I understand it, DIVX was a
> company, or a standard competing with DVD? Not to be confused with
> MPEG-4 DivX codec right? Because the latter is a fabulous thing. Lots of
> my video media is in either DivX, OGM, or Xvid format. Actually, I just
> bought this little kick ass Philips progressive DVD player for my
> bedroom that plays DivX media. Nowhere near as great as playing this
> media on the the Xbox (w/ xbox media center), but extremely nifty to
> have in a DVD player for less then 60 bucks. For example, I can usually
> fit 3-4 disc dvd sets onto one dvd with this compression.

Correct, DIVX - the now dead format is not to be confused with DivX, the
highly popular video codec. DIVX was spearheaded by Circuit City, and was
basically like Pay-Per-View using discs. You'd buy a DIVX movie for $1-2,
but would be charged a fee to "unlock" that disc for 24-72 hours (ie. "pay
per play"). For an additional fee, you could purchase an unlimited license
for a disc (called "Silvering a disc.") Silvered discs worked like normal
DVDs - but only for the player it was "silvered" on. So if you took a
disc you silvered to a friend's house, he'd get charged the normal fee.

The full story about DIVX can be found here (and other places - search for
DIVX and circuit city):
http://hometheater.about.com/library/weekly/aa062199.htm

I think DivX was named DivX as a sort of joke at DIVX's expense.

> BTW, funny story about the grandparents and TIVO. I'm pawning off my
> older bedroom DVD player (to justify the DivX one) to my father, who
> still thinks the VCR is cutting edge. He should get a pleasant surprise
> when he pops in the Andy Griffith show DVD compilation that I got 'em
> from the Walmart bargain bin.

I think it's a testament to Tivo's design that older, usually
tech-reluctant, groups are embracing it as well as they are.

Calum Benson wrote:
=

> (Oh, and Apple do sell much cheaper hardware than G5s.)

In more ways then one :)

I think I'll save my money and build my OWN hardware without Apple
telling me how to do it. On the same note, I'll have my choice between
"Windoze", my life distros (Knoppix, Slax, and DSL on my thumb), as well
as XP for all my gaming needs. Oh, what's that? Games don't play on the
Mac? Oh, well, that's ok. Steve B. Jobs just invented a new mouse for
you to guys to play with. Guess what?! More then one button! Who would
have guessed!!!

Note: Cynicism

Fred Liken wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>Exactly! That way you wouldn't have to pay for those really expensive
>>>DVDAudio/SACD/STFU+ systems that the MAN tries to make you think you
>>>need! iPod only, because it is made by the GOOD GUYS!
>>
>>So why aren't you using a Mac, by the "good guys" Mr. OE6?
>

> Because a iPod isn't a Mac, I guess. I might not know what your point is
> because of its strange nonsensical silliness.

No, you should know because of your "nonsensical" connotation to the
"good guys" but you're just playing cat & mouse as usual. Or did you
just finish watching Child's Play? My bag.

> That's because you are one of those music pirates who doesn't like to pay
> for things but would rather have their cake for FREE!!!!

No, actually. But then, you don't know me, do you? Since we're assuming
things, let me take a punch... It would appear to me you're just a half
wit know-nothing political lobbyist (wannabe that is). What's the
matter? Blog is broken? Your main flaw in this thread is that you spend
far too much time talking about technology when you obviously know
nothing about it nor the implications that you invoke when you post
dribble such as the aforementioned.

>>Don't get me wrong, anyone that thinks they can tell a discernible
>>difference between a 224Kbps MP3 and some bloated lossless format,
>>furthermore trading in a ubiquitous format (that is mp3) for some
>>audiophile geek format that only your dog can hear the "highs" on is
>>utterly ignorant (and egotistical) to me. Then again, those types are the
>>folks that should fit right in with a G4/G5. How odd. On another note, who
>>actually has a SACD player?
>

> My grandfather, but he is a ninja from the civil war and needs it for his
> diabetes.

Your humor is drier then a saltine cracker. However, you seem to me to
be a prime candidate for such a technology, in perpetual infancy. Good
luck on that.

babanoosh wrote:
> Calum Benson wrote:
> =
>

>> (Oh, and Apple do sell much cheaper hardware than G5s.)
>

> In more ways then one :)
>
> I think I'll save my money and build my OWN hardware without Apple
> telling me how to do it. On the same note, I'll have my choice between
> "Windoze", my life distros (Knoppix, Slax, and DSL on my thumb), as well
> as XP for all my gaming needs. Oh, what's that? Games don't play on the
> Mac? Oh, well, that's ok. Steve B. Jobs just invented a new mouse for
> you to guys to play with. Guess what?! More then one button! Who would
> have guessed!!!
>
> Note: Cynicism

"Live Distros"
Shazzam! Does Apple have spell check?

> Calum Benson wrote:
> =
>>
>> (Oh, and Apple do sell much cheaper hardware than G5s.)
>
> In more ways then one :)
>
> I think I'll save my money and build my OWN hardware without Apple telling
> me how to do it. On the same note, I'll have my choice between "Windoze",
> my life distros (Knoppix, Slax, and DSL on my thumb), as well as XP for
> all my gaming needs. Oh, what's that? Games don't play on the Mac? Oh,
> well, that's ok. Steve B. Jobs just invented a new mouse for you to guys
> to play with. Guess what?! More then one button! Who would have guessed!!!

> Note: Cynicism

In what way?

>>>So why aren't you using a Mac, by the "good guys" Mr. OE6?
>>
>> Because a iPod isn't a Mac, I guess. I might not know what your point is
>> because of its strange nonsensical silliness.
>
> No, you should know because of your "nonsensical" connotation to the "good
> guys" but you're just playing cat & mouse as usual. Or did you just finish
> watching Child's Play? My bag.
>>
>> That's because you are one of those music pirates who doesn't like to pay
>> for things but would rather have their cake for FREE!!!!
>
> No, actually. But then, you don't know me, do you? Since we're assuming
> things, let me take a punch... It would appear to me you're just a half
> wit know-nothing political lobbyist (wannabe that is). What's the matter?
> Blog is broken?

> Your main flaw in this thread is that you spend far too much time talking
> about technology when you obviously know nothing about it nor the
> implications that you invoke when you post dribble such as the
> aforementioned.

Hahahha... I know more than you do, my friend.

>>>Don't get me wrong, anyone that thinks they can tell a discernible
>>>difference between a 224Kbps MP3 and some bloated lossless format,
>>>furthermore trading in a ubiquitous format (that is mp3) for some
>>>audiophile geek format that only your dog can hear the "highs" on is
>>>utterly ignorant (and egotistical) to me. Then again, those types are the
>>>folks that should fit right in with a G4/G5. How odd. On another note,
>>>who actually has a SACD player?
>>
>> My grandfather, but he is a ninja from the civil war and needs it for his
>> diabetes.
>>
> Your humor is drier then a saltine cracker. However, you seem to me to be
> a prime candidate for such a technology, in perpetual infancy. Good luck
> on that.

OMG, relax, tightly wound friend. Are you the only one that didn't
understand all the sarcasm and nonsense in this thread? It would be
understandable if it was subtle trolling, or something, but it was blatant
sarcasm.

Get a grip. You're not an idiot.