lopesian

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hey there TomsHardware,

I've got a concern with my PC. Lately my PC has been giving off this very high-pitched whine. It's sometimes very loud and other times not loud at all. I can't tell for sure, but it sounds like it's coming from my PSU. I've got the Corsair TX750M Power Supply. It first started about 3 weeks after I built the PC, and then after moving some parts and cleaning the PC, it disappeared. About a week ago it came back, and it's really starting to bug me. The problem is that it only seems to start when Windows 7 boots up, which is really odd, and doesn't seem to disappear until Windows is Shut Down.

I was thinking of calling Corsair or something like that for some help, but I just wanted to make sure it was in fact my PSU making the noise and not some other part. Are there any ways to test things like this without actually opening the Power Supply? Any help it greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lopesian

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
a fan bearing is my first thought. its real easy to swap out a PSU fan, i would stick a pencil in to stop the fan from spinning and then see if the noise continues. if it does then i would suspect a bad cap whining but those dont get very loud its more of a hummmm.

lopesian

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Ok guys,

Sorry I didn't respond right away, I was just doing some tests. So I took out my GPU, and moved my PSU sideways and I figured that it was definitely my PSU making the noise. Sadly I didn't see the suggestion to stick a pencil inside to stop the fan, but I'm going to do so right now. I'll keep you guys posted after I try that.

lopesian

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Really sorry that I haven't updated you guys. The noise actually stopped after doing those first tests. It just came back today, so I put it sideways and put a pencil to stop the fan. It's definitely not the fan making the noise, but I'm 100% sure it's coming from the PSU. Any suggestions? I was thinking of contacting Corsair about it, but what are my options after that?

Again guys, huge thanks,
Lopesian