Sign in with
Your question

No 120hz refresh rate avail. in windows or catalyst (120hz monitor)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2011 10:48:23 PM

Just got my first 120hz monitor and I dont get why the only refresh rate available for me is 60hz.
I asked someone at micro center about this and he showed me a 120hz monitor with win 7 that had multiple resolutions, including 120hz, available in windows in the advanced windows display settings. He said I needed to uncheck the box that says "hide modes that this monitor cannot display", but this box is greyed out for me.
Same in catalyst control center, 60hz only.

Here are some screenshots
http://gyazo.com/af82d6dc6a46b7f56d1b473729bbf497
http://gyazo.com/6939faafb91dcb18154a5dd727d96ada

Connection: minidisplayport to dvi adapter / dvi in
Samsung s27a950d
Eyefinity 6 5870 cf

Also have the monitor drivers installed
http://gyazo.com/adf37d9ccf49d586474e66a1b4f25d8e
Installed the dvi one, since Im connected dvi. Im supposing thats correct.

Thx.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
November 26, 2011 11:23:34 PM

Did you happen to use a single link DVI cable (most are) or a dual link DVI cable which should have come with the new monitor?

Without a dual link cable, you won't have the option.

With that monitor, you can also use the Displayport cable for 120hz.
m
l
November 27, 2011 1:05:06 AM

thx for the reply.
I did try to use the dvi cable provided with the monitor, but again no luck. I wonder if the mini diplayport to dvi adapter Im havin to use is messin things up....
m
l
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
November 27, 2011 1:29:32 AM

bootandnood said:
thx for the reply.
I did try to use the dvi cable provided with the monitor, but again no luck. I wonder if the mini diplayport to dvi adapter Im havin to use is messin things up....

I'd advise using the displayport option. That might mess things up using the adapter if the adapter is not dual link.
m
l
November 27, 2011 7:20:33 PM

Yea thx someone on another forum did say that no adapter like the one im using will support the 120hz refresh rate. Either way I have a suspicion having the adapter might be the culprit.
I have a high speed mdp to dp on the way from amazon i ordered hopefully that will clear things up.
m
l
February 23, 2012 8:57:29 AM

did using the dvi-d fix this issue? I am having the same problem
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 10:17:08 AM

His problem was having an adapter in line. I would recommend starting a new thread with all relevant info so we can help you better. This thread is quite old and you likely won't get much help here.
m
l
March 1, 2012 2:09:40 AM

dacca said:
did using the dvi-d fix this issue? I am having the same problem

Wow Wth I cant believe ppl are still replying to this thread, I fixed my issue several months ago.
I believe at the time, because displayport was so new to me, that it didnt register to me till later that my monitor had a display port connection, so now Im just using a high speed minidp to Dp cable, and yes I get 120hz refresh rate with that.
None of the combos I tried with the minidp to dvi adapter worked btw.
Another option, that apparently just became recently available is a high speed minidp to hdmi cable, these were off the market for some time but recently became available again.
m
l
!