Sign in with
Your question

BSOD During Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2011 11:10:45 PM

Hey guys and gals. I've recently built my first PC, and everything's been great till now. When playing BF3 or MW3 I can only play a few minutes before my system BSOD's. I've been able to play Crysis 2 for hours without any issues, and these are the only 3 games that I have played on this system.

System specs:

Motherboard - ASUS M5A97
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 970 Black Edition 3.5Ghz
CPU Cooler - Thermaltake Frio
Memory - 8GB (2x4Gb) Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 1600MHz
Graphics - PNY GTX 560 ti OC2
Power Supply - Corsair TX650M
Storage - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120Gb and WD Velociraptor 300Gb (OS is on SSD - Games on HDD)
OS - Windows Home Premium 64bit OEM
Case - Cooler Master HAF 922

This is the error I get:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8007B7F028
BCP3: 00000000B6002000
BCP4: 00000000A9000135
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I recently OC'd my system and thought that might be the issue, so I've set everything back to default till I can learn more on OC'ing. I've reinstalled my drivers. Tried playing in windowed mode vs full screen. Set the graphics to auto. My temps of the video card dont go over 65. I've tried some searching, and see that this is somewhat of a common issue, but most of the responses recommended reinstalling the drivers. So I come to you, as everyone here seems to be the most helpful.

As always, any feedback is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

More about : bsod gaming

November 27, 2011 12:25:06 AM

It was most likely due to your overclocking.

I can't be 100% sure but a BSOD usually means you didn't have enough voltage in the CPU for your over clock.

Part of over clocking is finding that sweet spot where your computer can become stable with as little voltage as possible on your desired clock speeds.
m
l
November 27, 2011 12:44:03 AM

Hi there...

Warhead0 is probably right about being possibly related to your recent OC... Except for the part where he says bsod's are normaly related to Vcore issues.

BSOD's problems are normally easy to solve because of the bugcode (and often because of related files discriminated in the bluescreen), you can use that bugcode to search what causes it, the most common BSOD's like the famous 0xA are problems related to drivers as are plenty of other BSOD's, the great majority is always related to sotfware and not hardware, yours however, is not as common and judging from what i found while doing a little search it can be software or hardware. Check the following link...

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349...

I hope it helps... give us some feedback in case you manage solve the problem...

Best regards
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2011 1:10:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately, I'm still not having any luck. I did some more searching, and everyone else seems to say it's driver related, yet I've updated and even trying removing and reinstalling the drivers. I started to think that it might be my hard drive. Especially since the two games giving me issues were on the same one, and the other game that played fine was on another. So I checked it for bad sectors, and everything came back clean.

Also, I just played a little Crysis 2, which is on the "good" drive. After about 15 min, it froze. No blue screen, so it couldve been a glitch. I had to force close it, and then as I hopped on the internet, Chrome kept crashing. I rebooted, and Chrome is working, but I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I havent tried updating my BIOS, but my manual recommends not doing so unless absolutely necessary. And I havent tried the "vanilla" install of Windows mentioned in that link. I would really prefer using that as a last resort (and really, not at all if I dont have to).

Any additional thoughts? This is extremely frustrating as everything is brand new (only had this system less than a month), and I'm not a wealthy person.

As always, thanks in advance.
m
l
November 29, 2011 5:46:45 PM

Judging by your description it seems your system is very unstable... have you tried running prime95.... you could also try to reset your overclock and see if the problem persists.
m
l
November 29, 2011 10:47:40 PM

Well, I reset everything back to default/auto in BIOS once I started having the problem. And just last night I heard a light "ticking" noise coming from the brand new HDD that the two problematic games are on.

So I'm going to replace the drive asap, update my motherboards chipset drivers, and if that doesnt solve the problem, I will try to reinstall the OS. I read that elsewhere that it could be something in the registry (which I wouldnt imaging being an issue with a new system - but then again, Im still new at this).

Hopefully one of these steps will fix this problem. Im eager to get my game on, as that was my original reason for building it.

-- as for prime95, I will definitely look into that as well. It wouldnt hurt to get every angle I can. Thanks again for your input CryptorX. Lemme know if you can think of anything else.
m
l
November 29, 2011 11:11:01 PM

I'd have to agree it sounds like a faulty overclock and/or high CPU/GPU temps. A fresh install of windows only takes about 20minutes just back everything up on a data HD or external. Sometimes even though you remove registry and use driver sweeper not everything is removed when it says it is. I had this issue when i switched from a GTX 280 to my 5970 .....i got a few bsods and after a fresh install ran fine. Other than that the only other time I get a BSOD is when I OC my comp to much. Hope this helps.
m
l
November 29, 2011 11:32:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback, envymert.

So it looks like a fresh install is the next step then.

My OS is on a SSD. Are there any additional steps or precautions I should take (as opposed to when reinstalling with a HDD)?

Also, I was still getting these errors after I reset my BIOS settings back to default. But I do agree that it was a faulty OC, which is unfortunate because I used the software that came with my board (it uses the UEFI BIOS).

And as far as temps, isnt 65 degrees a moderate temp for a GPU?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, Im fairly new to PC building, but Ive read of much higher temps still performing well.

As always, thanks in advance, guys.
m
l
November 29, 2011 11:35:47 PM

Also, just to clarify, youre recommending doing a clean install? Where no data is saved? Either way, it wouldnt be a problem as the system is new, and I keep everything on an external (especially since SSDs dont allow for much room - at least not within my budget). But I just want to make sure I get it right the first time.
m
l
December 4, 2011 3:59:30 PM

UPDATE:

So I have replaced the HDD. Reinstalled Windows. Ran Memtest86. Everything is still at it's default settings (as far as OC'ing).

Memtest came back clean through 2 passes.

When using 3DMark 11, it freezes on the physics run (with the large spheres falling on the temples). Ive had it BSOD once, with the error 124, but normally it just freezes.

When using prime 95, as soon as it starts, it BSOD's. 124.

So I was thinking it could be the video card, but perhaps its the processor?

All I know, is I wanna get my game on...
m
l
March 15, 2012 1:52:47 AM

Just a shot in the dark, but what are your cpu temps at load ? You did use Silver Thermal paste right ?
I thought it might be memory voltage, find what your book says on MB stock voltage for slots.
70C+ is alarm temps. for video, so you're good on that.
m
l
!