headlesszombie

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hey guys how's it going.

So about a week and a half ago I bought a corsair AX850W power supply. Up until now it's been great. Until I started playing Crysis... That's when I noticed a decently loud noise (very high frequency not a rattling noise or something) coming from what I first thought was my GPU. After further investigation I figured out it was definitely my PSU and also heard this is a common problem with the AX series.

What is stumping me however, is when the coil noise begins. In all honesty it's tolerable almost always and I barely notice it, except for a few cases. I noticed when Crysis starts, as in when the game is laoding up towards the title screen, the sound gets NOTICEABLY louder and higher pitched. I also noticed that as the screen transitions from one scene to the next (as in showing company names etc) and the screen goes black, the noise stops. And the noise always follows the exact same pattern and changes the same way every time, for example right before it gets to the actual title scree the noise completely changes and sound totally different then when I initially start the game and it always does this. When I am playing the game there is almost no noise.

Ran programs like prime95 and furmark and no noise at all. My feeling is it does it when there are high frame rates going on.

I have changed the plug, tried a different cord, tried alternating the cords that are plugged in and even flipped the psu over with no luck at all. As I said the noise is tolerable and really I only notice it mainly in crysis or if I have the PC case open, but is this dangerous ? Is there a chance that it could explode or something or is it nothing more then noise ?

headlesszombie

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I have just narrowed it down I am almost certain it has to do with high fps (the fps on crysis start-up is several thousand for some reason).

Played cod4 and tested the difference in noise between synced frames vs non synced at lowest graphics, easy to hear a noise difference no doubt. All I want to know is if it is dangerous or not as I can deal with the noise since I don't hit 1000FPS in any game LOL (and if I did I would just use vsync)

TRENDING THREADS