Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Yet another reason avoid the xbox360

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:42:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Microsoft is set to effectively eliminate 3rd-party hardware support on
the xbox360. They're going to force all 3rd party hardware
manufactures to pay a licensing fee to get a piece of security hardware
necessary for their stuff to work.

I've never purchased 3rd-party hardware myself, but I know that's an
appealing option to some. It's a pity Microsoft wants to make it
harder on them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://tinyurl.com/bmjo6

Microsoft is looking to squeeze a profit out of the gaming market with
a new royalty program tied to the release of its next Xbox console.

Only accessory makers that get Microsoft's blessing and fork over a
slice of their sales to the software maker will be able to produce Xbox
360 game pads, steering wheels, joysticks and other controllers.

In addition, in order to ensure that only authorized products connect
to the new console, Microsoft is adding a security mechanism that will
be available exclusively to those who sign a deal with the company,
according to documents from a peripheral company filed with the SEC.
The Xbox 360 console, announced in May, is slated to go on sale this
holiday season.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
cable@creaturecantina.com

More about : reason avoid xbox360

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:01:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123713748.505976.24210@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Microsoft is set to effectively eliminate 3rd-party hardware support on
> the xbox360. They're going to force all 3rd party hardware
> manufactures to pay a licensing fee to get a piece of security hardware
> necessary for their stuff to work.
>
> I've never purchased 3rd-party hardware myself, but I know that's an
> appealing option to some. It's a pity Microsoft wants to make it
> harder on them.

The gaming industry is nothing but a money pit for Microsoft. That's the
only reason why they jumped into it head first. The truly think they can
get away with that. That's just insane. For them, and all those xbox fans
out there, i hope this isnt true. But unfortunately i tend to believe things
coming from Cnet... however i wonder why it hasnt been more widely reported.


>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bmjo6
>
> Microsoft is looking to squeeze a profit out of the gaming market with
> a new royalty program tied to the release of its next Xbox console.
>
> Only accessory makers that get Microsoft's blessing and fork over a
> slice of their sales to the software maker will be able to produce Xbox
> 360 game pads, steering wheels, joysticks and other controllers.
>
> In addition, in order to ensure that only authorized products connect
> to the new console, Microsoft is adding a security mechanism that will
> be available exclusively to those who sign a deal with the company,
> according to documents from a peripheral company filed with the SEC.
> The Xbox 360 console, announced in May, is slated to go on sale this
> holiday season.
>
> --
> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> cable@creaturecantina.com
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:25:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

I've seen it posted in a couple of places. Just not here yet. I just
hope Sony doesn't try to do the same thing. I think the area the 360
could really suffer will be with steering wheels... that's where you
see the best quality 3rd party hardware.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
cable@creaturecantina.com
Related resources
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:12:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Brenden D. Chase wrote:

>
> The gaming industry is nothing but a money pit for Microsoft. That's the
> only reason why they jumped into it head first. The truly think they can
> get away with that. That's just insane. For them, and all those xbox fans
> out there, i hope this isnt true. But unfortunately i tend to believe things
> coming from Cnet... however i wonder why it hasnt been more widely reported.
>
>

They should get in the gaming BUSINESS to not make money that'd be a
good BUSINESS decision, I guess they are greedy to want to run a
BUSINESS, they should be like most BUSINESSES and give away stuff for
free and go out of BUSINESS the next year.

Yeah.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:47:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

There's a much larger profit margin on software than there is on
hardware. Materials costs on a DVD is next to nothing. Tacking on a
couple bucks in licensing fees is no big deal. With controlers and
hardware, there is a significant cost for materials. Even a few extra
cents can render hardware unprofitable, forcing a manufacturer halt
production.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
cable@creaturecantina.com
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:03:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123713748.505976.24210@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Microsoft is set to effectively eliminate 3rd-party hardware support on
> the xbox360. They're going to force all 3rd party hardware
> manufactures to pay a licensing fee to get a piece of security hardware
> necessary for their stuff to work.

I'm confused. Are you a troll? Your comments are contradictory.

BTW, royalties haven't killed the 3rd-party software support, so why would
it kill the hardware support?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:03:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123770305.173475.130750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

> I've seen it posted in a couple of places. Just not here yet. I just
> hope Sony doesn't try to do the same thing. I think the area the 360
> could really suffer will be with steering wheels... that's where you
> see the best quality 3rd party hardware.

Why? They'll just pay the royalty and get their kick ass wheel on the
system. Won't make a difference at all, except maybe hong kong krap.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:03:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123782426.418531.225930@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> There's a much larger profit margin on software than there is on
> hardware. Materials costs on a DVD is next to nothing. Tacking on a
> couple bucks in licensing fees is no big deal. With controlers and
> hardware, there is a significant cost for materials. Even a few extra
> cents can render hardware unprofitable, forcing a manufacturer halt
> production.

Not on a wheel or anything beyond hong kong krap. Fact is, a couple cents
won't do anything.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:21:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"H.I.V. Steve" <hiv_steve@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1123780345.020337.178430@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
> Brenden D. Chase wrote:
>
>>
>> The gaming industry is nothing but a money pit for Microsoft. That's the
>> only reason why they jumped into it head first. The truly think they can
>> get away with that. That's just insane. For them, and all those xbox fans
>> out there, i hope this isnt true. But unfortunately i tend to believe
>> things
>> coming from Cnet... however i wonder why it hasnt been more widely
>> reported.
>>
>>
>
> They should get in the gaming BUSINESS to not make money that'd be a
> good BUSINESS decision, I guess they are greedy to want to run a
> BUSINESS, they should be like most BUSINESSES and give away stuff for
> free and go out of BUSINESS the next year.
>
> Yeah.
>

could you have missed the point a little more.... probably not.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:37:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123713748.505976.24210@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Microsoft is set to effectively eliminate 3rd-party hardware support on
> the xbox360. They're going to force all 3rd party hardware
> manufactures to pay a licensing fee to get a piece of security hardware
> necessary for their stuff to work.
>
> I've never purchased 3rd-party hardware myself, but I know that's an
> appealing option to some. It's a pity Microsoft wants to make it
> harder on them.
>

It was common practise by nintendo for a good deal of time.

Gaz
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:59:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123713748.505976.24210@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Microsoft is set to effectively eliminate 3rd-party hardware support on
> the xbox360. They're going to force all 3rd party hardware
> manufactures to pay a licensing fee to get a piece of security hardware
> necessary for their stuff to work.
>
> I've never purchased 3rd-party hardware myself, but I know that's an
> appealing option to some. It's a pity Microsoft wants to make it
> harder on them.

As far as I know, most of the major console manufacturers have had some kind
of licensing program for third-party controllers and accessories, where they
test for compatibility. The third-party accessory maker then gets the
"blessing" of the console manufacturer, and subsequently can use the
system's official logo on the package and/or the product itself. Of course,
this is usually optional, which is why there is a wide range of unlicensed
peripherals in addition to licensed ones.

I rarely purchase unlicensed controllers or accessories for my consoles, but
it would be a shame if a console maker such as Microsoft made it difficult
or impossible for unlicensed peripherals to be produced. It's not just so
much a notion of "greed" on the company's part (because most of these
companies have demanded royalties for software for many years), but the fact
that it could raise prices on the consumer end.

There's a balancing act when you introduce a new system. You can choose to
lose more money on the hardware, and then attempt make it up on software
(and licensed accessories). It looks like Microsoft doesn't want to lose "as
much" money on the X-Box 360 as they did with the original system, yet at
the same time they don't want to price it into the stratosphere. That's why
we're now hearing rumors of how most new X-Box 360 games will cost around
$60 rather than the $40-$50 range that most top-tier current-generation
games are released at. That's also why they're offering proprietary "brand
M" 64 MB memory cards, and why (oddly enough, for all their talk about
wireless) they are making Wi-Fi an "optional accessory," even though Sony
and Nintendo look like they will have it built into their next systems (as
they did with their recent handhelds). Despite this, Microsoft is still
offering nearly worthless sideshow "features" like interchangeable
faceplates. Maybe they'll demand licensing fees on those, too.

--
Sal Manfredonia (smanfred@optonline.net)

"PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming
ghetto." -- Kaz Hirai
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:41:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Bill Cable wrote:
> Microsoft is set

Another reason to avoid the Xbox 360 is because some loser Sony fanboy
says so? I don't think so.

Maybe in a few years when you're old enough your mommy will let you get
a job so you can afford more than one system. I know how it is now
kid, you're mom will only buy you one system, so you have to "player
hate" against the other system out of pure jealousy.

You do realize your front isn't that good and we can see through it.
We know you're just a little punk kid whose momma will only buy him one
system. Go mow some lawns punk.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:48:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Brenden D. Chase wrote:
> "H.I.V. Steve" <hiv_steve@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1123780345.020337.178430@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> >
> > Brenden D. Chase wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> The gaming industry is nothing but a money pit for Microsoft. That's the
> >> only reason why they jumped into it head first. The truly think they can
> >> get away with that. That's just insane. For them, and all those xbox fans
> >> out there, i hope this isnt true. But unfortunately i tend to believe
> >> things
> >> coming from Cnet... however i wonder why it hasnt been more widely
> >> reported.
> >>
> >>
> >
> > They should get in the gaming BUSINESS to not make money that'd be a
> > good BUSINESS decision, I guess they are greedy to want to run a
> > BUSINESS, they should be like most BUSINESSES and give away stuff for
> > free and go out of BUSINESS the next year.
> >
> > Yeah.
> >
>
> could you have missed the point a little more.... probably not.

Missed the point? You have no point. You're pointless. What was your
point? You said "microsoft is in the gaming industy to make money"
ok? Yeah I understand that, is that your point? Hey thanks for the
inside info, next thing your going to tell me is that Sony is also in
the gaming industry to make money. NO WAY!!
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:27:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

hehe... criticism from a guy who calls himself "H.I.V. Steve."

I'm 31, married, two children, and gainfully employed. I won't own a
360 because I choose not to, not due to financial restraints. I don't
see the point in purchasing an inferior product with an unappealing
game library.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
cable@creaturecantina.com
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:54:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Bill Cable wrote:
> hehe... criticism from a guy who calls himself "H.I.V. Steve."
>
> I'm 31, married, two children, and gainfully employed. I won't own a
> 360 because I choose not to, not due to financial restraints. I don't
> see the point in purchasing an inferior product with an unappealing
> game library.
>

Your time is better spent complaining on usenet about a system you
won't buy rather than with your kids.

Get your priorities straight.

I think you missed my original point. Your bitching about a video game
system when you should be spending time with your kids.

GET IT? GOT IT? GOOD!
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 11:35:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1124062031.223271.173240@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> hehe... criticism from a guy who calls himself "H.I.V. Steve."
>
> I'm 31, married, two children, and gainfully employed. I won't own a
> 360 because I choose not to, not due to financial restraints. I don't
> see the point in purchasing an inferior product with an unappealing
> game library.
>
> --
> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> cable@creaturecantina.com
>

i'll back that
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:48:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Brenden D. Chase wrote:
> "Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1124062031.223271.173240@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > hehe... criticism from a guy who calls himself "H.I.V. Steve."
> >
> > I'm 31, married, two children, and gainfully employed. I won't own a
> > 360 because I choose not to, not due to financial restraints. I don't
> > see the point in purchasing an inferior product with an unappealing
> > game library.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> > http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> > cable@creaturecantina.com
> >
>
> i'll back that

The Sony fanboys have united!
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:25:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
news:1124110096.337960.83200@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Brenden D. Chase wrote:
>> "Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1124062031.223271.173240@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> > hehe... criticism from a guy who calls himself "H.I.V. Steve."
>> >
>> > I'm 31, married, two children, and gainfully employed. I won't own a
>> > 360 because I choose not to, not due to financial restraints. I don't
>> > see the point in purchasing an inferior product with an unappealing
>> > game library.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
>> > http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
>> > cable@creaturecantina.com
>> >
>>
>> i'll back that
>
> The Sony fanboys have united!
>

Oh boy, stop the presses!! The idoit just responded!
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:53:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Brenden D. Chase wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> news:1124110096.337960.83200@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >
> > Brenden D. Chase wrote:
> >> "Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:1124062031.223271.173240@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >> > hehe... criticism from a guy who calls himself "H.I.V. Steve."
> >> >
> >> > I'm 31, married, two children, and gainfully employed. I won't own a
> >> > 360 because I choose not to, not due to financial restraints. I don't
> >> > see the point in purchasing an inferior product with an unappealing
> >> > game library.
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> >> > http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> >> > cable@creaturecantina.com
> >> >
> >>
> >> i'll back that
> >
> > The Sony fanboys have united!
> >
>
> Oh boy, stop the presses!! The idoit just responded!

I bet you're wishing you could cancel this post now.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:04:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

H.I.V. Steve wrote:
> I know how it is now
> kid, you're mom will only buy you one system, so you have to "player
> hate" against the other system out of pure jealousy.
>
> I think you missed my original point. Your bitching about a video game
> system when you should be spending time with your kids.
>
> GET IT? GOT IT? GOOD!
>
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/your.html

And you're the one accusing people of being children? Oh, the irony.

HTH,
-joe.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 4:16:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
news:1124196802.870139.187770@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Brenden D. Chase wrote:
>> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>> news:1124110096.337960.83200@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> >
>> > Brenden D. Chase wrote:
>> >> "Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:1124062031.223271.173240@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> >> > hehe... criticism from a guy who calls himself "H.I.V. Steve."
>> >> >
>> >> > I'm 31, married, two children, and gainfully employed. I won't own
>> >> > a
>> >> > 360 because I choose not to, not due to financial restraints. I
>> >> > don't
>> >> > see the point in purchasing an inferior product with an unappealing
>> >> > game library.
>> >> >
>> >> > --
>> >> > Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
>> >> > http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
>> >> > cable@creaturecantina.com
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> i'll back that
>> >
>> > The Sony fanboys have united!
>> >
>>
>> Oh boy, stop the presses!! The idoit just responded!
>
> I bet you're wishing you could cancel this post now.
>

I bet you're wishing you had something better to say
!