New system, big problem...

scor81

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hi people...

Last month, after many years away from the PC scene, I purchased a new machine from a computer store. It was a custom machine, in the sense that I chose all the components myself, purchased them from the store and paid for them to assemble and test the machine.

I've had the machine about 6 weeks now, and for the first 4 weeks it was great. Then one day, I switched the machine on, switched the monitor on, and the monitor just stayed in power saving mode. And this is the problem, that I'm now experiencing.

OK so when the PC and monitor are both off, and I switch them both on, 90% of the time the monitor will just stay in power saving mode. It's getting some sort of signal from the PC, as when its disconnected the monitor says check signal cable, not power saving mode. So I have to sit here switching the machine and monitor off and on until eventually I see the monitor power light stay on, and not flash, and I get to see the bios screen, and it boots up.

I should point out that once this happenbs, once i get the screen on, i can turn the monitor off and on as often as i like and everything is fine. As soon as the PC reboots, I have to go through the power cycling, off and on, all over again. Sometimes it takes upto 20 minutes and 30-40 switch off and on's till it works.

Now, I've been back to the store with my system 4 times now. First off, they said the graphics cards PCIE connector was slightly loose. I don't think it was. I took it home, tried again, still the same. I took it back, and they kept it for a day and could find nothing wrong, so they swapped out the mother board, stress tested everything and said it was fine.

I took it home, and it was exactly the same. Took it straight back, and they tested it again. and said it boots perfectly every time and cannot recreate the problem. I even took my power cables, monitor, DVI and HDMI cables. They said it all work fine. I've tried eliminating external things like trying different plug sockets, all to no avail.

I should also point out that the first time I experienced this problem was the day I picked the machine up, brand new, it did this straight away, straight out of the box. After ten minutes and a few restarts it worked fine, and then was fine for 4 weeks.

The technicians in the store seem to be baffled by it, and say they cant do anything about it as they cannot replicate the problem. I'm really pissed at them, and have said im going to bring the machine in again for them to test it and rebuild from the ground up if necessary.

Recently, the machine has also started freezing, just in everyday use in windows, just freezing up completely, and has to be re started. I'm not sure if this is at all related.

It's really frustrating the hell out of me, this problem, as it means I cant switch the machine off for fear of not being able to restart it. I'm hoping to overclock my CPU soon, but it's impossible if I can't restart reliably.

So my question is... can anyone out there shed any light on what could be happening here? any theories or ideas? Faulty power switch? GPU? Monitor? I'm just grateful for opinions at this stage. I'm so frustrated by it.

I'll post up all my specs if you guys thinks it's necessary.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I know this sounds 'out there', but do you have a voltmeter or any way to check the AC voltage at the wall outlet? Is it 110-120Volts. An RMS meter gives a better reading but not everybody has them. Can you try the computer in another room and see if there is any change? Just mayybe it's something about the house wiring or an intermittent ground. It sounds like the computer shop is trying to work with you on this. Maybe even try it at a friend's house?

scor81

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Ive tried a different room in my house, i moved it all to the kitchen. Same problem. Its such an intermittent fault that i doubt it could be a voltage problem from the wall, but im open to anything.

The computer store tested my cables, and even tried a new HDMI lead, and said they were all fine.

scor81

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
i7 2600K 3.4GHz
Corsair H60
Thermaltake 120mm fan
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3
G.SKILL 8GB KIT DDR3 RIPJAWS X C9 1600MHZ
CORSAIR FORCE 3 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA3 550/510
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5" GREEN 2TB
EVGA GTX580 SC
SAMSUNG 22x SATA DVD-R/RW/DL
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER VX 5.1 PCI SOUNDCARD
COOLERMASTER STORM ENFORCER
CORSAIR 750W HX-750W
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64BIT
LG 24" HD LED WS 5MS (E2441V-BN)

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
do you have another psu you can try out? The symptoms you describe lead me to believe that your psu is failing. If the problem didn't have variations (periods of working fine, screen problem, freezes at random) i would narrow it down to the mobo and ram.
Please see what you can do about the psu check and report back. The number of failing corsair psus lately is disturbingly alarming to the company's fantastic name. On the other hand corsair has always had top notch RMA so if it is the psu you will get a replacement straight up.