Installing Adobe Acrobat

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 17, 2005 12:33:08 AM

I run Acrobat 6.0 at work. When I installed it, it showed up in the Word
and Excel toolbars. I didn't care for this; it has caused some problems.

At home, I just received an Acrobat slide show in pdf. I run Acrobat 4.0
at home, and when I went to open the slide show, I was told I needed to
install at least Acrobat 5.1 with the Image Viewer. Acrobat 7.0 is now on
the Adobe site.

If I install 7.0, is there a way to install it (custom install?) so it
doesn't appear as drop downs in my Word and Excel tool bars?

TIA
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:33:09 AM

Hey Jeff,

I haven't seen those drop downs in Word or Excel, although I imagine
that if you right click on any empty area on your toolbar, a popup menu
should appear allowing you to deselect the Acrobat toolbar.

Jules
http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest digital photography forums
on the net!
May 17, 2005 4:33:15 PM

Jeff wrote:
> I run Acrobat 6.0 at work. When I installed it, it showed up in the Word
> and Excel toolbars. I didn't care for this; it has caused some problems.
>
> At home, I just received an Acrobat slide show in pdf. I run Acrobat 4.0
> at home, and when I went to open the slide show, I was told I needed to
> install at least Acrobat 5.1 with the Image Viewer. Acrobat 7.0 is now on
> the Adobe site.
>
> If I install 7.0, is there a way to install it (custom install?) so it
> doesn't appear as drop downs in my Word and Excel tool bars?
>
> TIA

The Acrobat 7 reader is free, and has some new features, like an advanced search function.
It won't show up in Word or Excel.
May 17, 2005 5:01:39 PM

In article <Xns9658BC707254stetson@216.196.97.136>, Jeff@invalid.com
says...
> I run Acrobat 6.0 at work. When I installed it, it showed up in the Word
> and Excel toolbars. I didn't care for this; it has caused some problems.
>
> At home, I just received an Acrobat slide show in pdf. I run Acrobat 4.0
> at home, and when I went to open the slide show, I was told I needed to
> install at least Acrobat 5.1 with the Image Viewer. Acrobat 7.0 is now on
> the Adobe site.
>
> If I install 7.0, is there a way to install it (custom install?) so it
> doesn't appear as drop downs in my Word and Excel tool bars?
>
> TIA

If all you're installing is the reader, it won't install toolbars in
Word or Excel.

If you do install the full version of Acrobat (not the free one),
and it installs toolbars in Word or Excel, you can go to
Tools -> Customize... (in Word and Excel) and uncheck the Acrobat
tool bar.

Diane
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:15:56 AM

There is not such thing has Acrobat 7 reader any more.
Adobe now calls product Adobe Reader. Could be because
confusion about PDF generating program and viewer.
I agree that 7 full version is quite bloated but You don't
need to download ver7.
Go to
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html
and download 6 version. even older ones are in page
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/reader_archive.ht...

Toomas

"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message news:118k76b1ifnof16@corp.supernews.com...
> Jeff wrote:
>> I run Acrobat 6.0 at work. When I installed it, it showed up in the Word
>> and Excel toolbars. I didn't care for this; it has caused some problems.
>>
>> At home, I just received an Acrobat slide show in pdf. I run Acrobat 4.0
>> at home, and when I went to open the slide show, I was told I needed to
>> install at least Acrobat 5.1 with the Image Viewer. Acrobat 7.0 is now on
>> the Adobe site.
>>
>> If I install 7.0, is there a way to install it (custom install?) so it
>> doesn't appear as drop downs in my Word and Excel tool bars?
>>
>> TIA
>
> The Acrobat 7 reader is free, and has some new features, like an advanced search function.
> It won't show up in Word or Excel.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:12:47 AM

Succesive versions of Reader do give enhanced functionality, but at heavy
cost in launch time.
I found version 5 to be sufficient although having dowloaded version 6 I
stayed with it.
When browsing new machines in compusa or similar I'll bring up the Reader
just to see how fast it loads. Even on fast new machines there's a definite
wait.
Dave Cohen

"Toomas" <toomas.piibe@mail.ee> wrote in message
news:D 6dftl$vec$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
There is not such thing has Acrobat 7 reader any more.
Adobe now calls product Adobe Reader. Could be because
confusion about PDF generating program and viewer.
I agree that 7 full version is quite bloated but You don't
need to download ver7.
Go to
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html
and download 6 version. even older ones are in page
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/reader_archive.ht...

Toomas

"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> Jeff wrote:
>> I run Acrobat 6.0 at work. When I installed it, it showed up in the Word
>> and Excel toolbars. I didn't care for this; it has caused some problems.
>>
>> At home, I just received an Acrobat slide show in pdf. I run Acrobat 4.0
>> at home, and when I went to open the slide show, I was told I needed to
>> install at least Acrobat 5.1 with the Image Viewer. Acrobat 7.0 is now
>> on
>> the Adobe site.
>>
>> If I install 7.0, is there a way to install it (custom install?) so it
>> doesn't appear as drop downs in my Word and Excel tool bars?
>>
>> TIA
>
> The Acrobat 7 reader is free, and has some new features, like an advanced
> search function.
> It won't show up in Word or Excel.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:11:56 AM

Unlike earlier versions of Adobe readers, 7.0 will only run on XP.

Jeff wrote:
> I run Acrobat 6.0 at work. When I installed it, it showed up in the Word
> and Excel toolbars. I didn't care for this; it has caused some problems.
>
> At home, I just received an Acrobat slide show in pdf. I run Acrobat 4.0
> at home, and when I went to open the slide show, I was told I needed to
> install at least Acrobat 5.1 with the Image Viewer. Acrobat 7.0 is now on
> the Adobe site.
>
> If I install 7.0, is there a way to install it (custom install?) so it
> doesn't appear as drop downs in my Word and Excel tool bars?
>
> TIA
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:11:57 AM

In article <Mvxie.885$H24.761@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, keith_nuttle
<keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Unlike earlier versions of Adobe readers, 7.0 will only run on XP.

Looks like version 7 on my Windows 2000 machine and this one running
Tiger.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:59:44 PM

Using Adobe Reader Speedup utility You can make
Reader faster disabling unneceray plugins.

http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php

Toomas

"Dave Cohen" <dave@example.net> wrote in message news:3Mvie.3772$uR4.3375@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Succesive versions of Reader do give enhanced functionality, but at heavy
> cost in launch time.
> I found version 5 to be sufficient although having dowloaded version 6 I
> stayed with it.
> When browsing new machines in compusa or similar I'll bring up the Reader
> just to see how fast it loads. Even on fast new machines there's a definite
> wait.
> Dave Cohen
>
> "Toomas" <toomas.piibe@mail.ee> wrote in message
> news:D 6dftl$vec$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> There is not such thing has Acrobat 7 reader any more.
> Adobe now calls product Adobe Reader. Could be because
> confusion about PDF generating program and viewer.
> I agree that 7 full version is quite bloated but You don't
> need to download ver7.
> Go to
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html
> and download 6 version. even older ones are in page
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/reader_archive.ht...
>
> Toomas
>

> "Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
>> Jeff wrote:
>>> I run Acrobat 6.0 at work. When I installed it, it showed up in the Word
>>> and Excel toolbars. I didn't care for this; it has caused some problems.
>>>
>>> At home, I just received an Acrobat slide show in pdf. I run Acrobat 4.0
>>> at home, and when I went to open the slide show, I was told I needed to
>>> install at least Acrobat 5.1 with the Image Viewer. Acrobat 7.0 is now
>>> on
>>> the Adobe site.
>>>
>>> If I install 7.0, is there a way to install it (custom install?) so it
>>> doesn't appear as drop downs in my Word and Excel tool bars?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> The Acrobat 7 reader is free, and has some new features, like an advanced
>> search function.
>> It won't show up in Word or Excel.

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 7:02:57 AM

Thanks for that link, downloaded and works like a charm.

news:D 6f3mr$6b8$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

!