Intel quad core q9550 cpu
asus p5q mobo
2 * 2 gb zion ram
gts 250 1gb eco nvidia card
20 inch lcd display
speakers
1 dvd rom drive
1 hdd 1TB

How much power would this pc consume under idle , normal and full load conditions.??????????????

I have a 600 watt cooler master smps , which delivers around 450 watts effectively.(i read a review of it )

now i have bought a ups of 600 va / 360 watt , i am running the pc on idle and normal web browsing and other operations and its working fine.

My question is , if i start playing games like fifa 12 , will it be able to handle it or not??

if not , what is the solutoin then..

dedekind

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
I guess you could just try. I don't know how much power you will use in your situation. You can get a power meter or something that tells you that.. or just try if the ups works in battery mode with fifa 12 at least enough time to shut down.

EDIT: I don't know a recommended way of doing this test though. I think just unplugging the UPS from the wall could work but this entails some risks I believe.

rajyohanson

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Yes, the risk being when the battery runs out, it could potentially kill something when it randomly shuts off. :) Probably not though. The TDP of your CPU is 95w. RAM - Non existant draw - Video card - 165w under intense load. LCD has it's own power supply and doesn't count. speakers have their own power supply and dont count. Hard drive about 15w. Give or take some fans and some other misc stuff like optical drives, I'd say you come in right about 300w -/+ under a good load.

Didn't your UPS come with a monitoring application that allows you to monitor the power consumption?

You can use such an application and figure it all out yourself by putting your system under various loads.

Run the game and check the application to see how much power is being drawn through the UPS. You don't need to be running on battery power because you're just trying to gauge the maximum power draw.

This is what I see with my UPS software with my system at idle:

APC_Power_Chute_Current_Status.jpg

ronnie_mee

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys...i will try to find a software...and check it..
but i had a small query ....
600va/360 watt does it mean that i cannot draw anymore than 360 watt when the power is on..???
i do not bother about the back up time or running in battery power,...i do not need that as there are hardly any power cuts...

If your UPS is an online (a.k.a. double conversion) type UPS then 360 Watts would be its limit since that is what its inverter would be designed to handle.

If your UPS is a line interactive type UPS then it depends on the PSU and load being drawn and what the UPS' line interactive circuit has been designed to handle.

Run your own tests. You already have everything to do the job yourself.

You should be able to monitor the power being drawn from the UPS under the various load conditions you've specified in your original post.

What is the brand and model of the UPS?

Eight replies above this one, I asked you if your UPS came with any software, and this is the first time you say it didn't include any.

Did the UPS come with a communication cable, either serial port (i.e. RS-232) or USB port? If it didn't then there won't be any software. If it did then there should be software included.

Now that I've seen pictures and specifications of that UPS, there are no PC communications ports on that UPS, so it cannot be monitored. It's just a basic battery backup unit with no monitoring capability and no way for the UPS to signal to the PC to gracefully power itself off during a power interruption.

The 360 Watt rating, specified by Numeric, is while the UPS is operating in battery power mode.

If the power fails, when your system is drawing more than 360 Watts, the UPS will most likely sound an overload alarm and shut itself down without giving enough time for the PC to shut itself down.

ronnie_mee

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
thanx...
yeah i know that it is a low grade ups ....and it does not bothers me as there are hardly any power cuts in my area....
what was worrying me was when i would run it when power is on...
so do you mean to say that when power is on , i can draw more than 360 watts withou any problem...???

You should be able to since your UPS is not a double conversion type UPS.

ronnie_mee

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I tried it....and it seems like its failing....

i can run the computer fine...but the problem is with high intense graphics game...

When i play fifa 12 at even the lowest resolution , the computer suddenly after 5 mins , no display output even though the computer is still running...

The graphic card gives no output , i guess its not getting enough power is it..???

i switched to fifa 11 at very low and it works fine....so that makes me believe that i still have the problem....

ronnie_mee

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
well i havent tried that now....but i did play fifa 11 with highest settings and 4x antialiasing wihtout any problems with my psu connected to the wall....in the beginning then after that i brought this ups...

Do i really need a ups ....????

Yes.

You're trying to use the line conditioning feature of the UPS but it isn't designed to handle the load you are trying to use it for.