Is my cpu running to hot?

KewiinG

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Hello dear community!

I have a problem that is kind of common with the cpu im using (AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE), the problem is that its as much
as 50C at idle! I was trying to get the temps down with Arctic Silver 5 but it's still the same.
That is bothering me and i'd like to ask you guys what the problem is?
My bios is updated to the latest and all my bios settings in general is good.
So please help me.. Thanks

KewiinG

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Is it hot in the room where your pc is?
No not really, have opened windows all the time, its like 23C

Do you have good case cooling?
I have the stock fans on cm storm scout and additinal 2 fans on the side.

Are you using the stock heatsink?
Yes

Have you considered an aftermarket heatsink?
No.

I've noticed something, at idle its ALWAYS at 50C never above never under.
And i did some stresstesting, with interesting results, it NEVER goes above 67C,
it almost always stays at 64-65 sometimes 66 and rarely 67. Is that good?
I assume that 50-65 isnt very much differens (in my opinion, good right?)
So, is it really an issue?

Edit: Now only a bit after, i saw that after the stresstests, it goes down to 42 idle and 43-44 in apps like Spotify.
Could that be the result of heating the thermal paste to get it spread correctly and got it working properly?
If thats the case, someone could teach a lesson from this..

rajyohanson

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I would drastically consider an aftermarket heatsink and fan combo. They are pretty cheap now a days for a good one, and it will take care of your temps. And yes, improper thermal paste can lead to issues, but usually hot and cold spots... but I guess if it was hot enough with a stock HSF it would bring the temps up quick. I'd get one. In my opinion stock ones are put in there for like.. formality..not to be used. :)

kyraiki

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

^ this. One of the best things you can do to reduce temperatures is to replace that piece of junk... I remember the first and last time I used a stock AMD heatsink... It was the ones they sent out before the switched to the fan with 'Cooler Master' on the side. Really loud and ineffective...but I digress. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (or Evo) is a really good heatsink for the price.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Stock coolers have awful performance. Even a $20 aftermarket cooler will give you much better temps.

That said, 50c at idle is a bit warm, but not awful. 67c under load is also a bit warm, but again, not awful. You may get slightly longer life by grabbing a new cooler, but I wouldn't consider it absolutely necessary.

If you want lower temperatures, but don't want to spend any money, you can try lower the voltage to the processor. Small changes are unlikely to make the system unstable, but eventually you'll hit a point where things go bonkers and you'll get random bluescreens.

KewiinG

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
The more wierd thing is this:
After I reformatted my whole computer reinstalling Windows to 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate my temps went down to 31C idle.. I will do some stresstests aswell in a sec.

But thank you all for your answers :) You guys made me change my mind and I will buy an aftermarket cooler!

I will give you the result of stresstests soon. Best regards.

Uhm... the stock coolers perform just fine, my stock cpu cooler never got above 55c max stress test in Prime95, and yes it was the middle of the day in vegas (45c is an average day here)

Keep me updated as to temperatures, at worst it will cost 10 bucks for some decent quality thermal paste. (or yeah you could grab a 212+ for 20...)

KewiinG

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
This is so wierd! Now, after reinstalling the computer, it idle's only 31, and
now at FULL load it only goes to 65, then the fan goes on and it gets down
to only 62 and stays there. So from before, the temps were 50-67/goes down to 65
and stayed there and now it is 31-65/goes down to 61-62 and stays there..
Well, im happy that the temps are down. But im still curious what caused that heating.
My first thought was that the thermal paste got "better" after heating up properly
and got spread to the right "position". Could that be it? Thanks.

Some thermal pastes have a curing time, AS5 has a curing time of I think 300-400 hours, but temps don't change more then 5c between when you first put it on and when its fully cured.

I find it more likely that it was a virus or just some odd quirk causing your temperature probe to read the incorrect temps. (whats it say in your bios for idle temps? is CnQ on?)

KewiinG

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

But why does it still work then?o.o

Ok ill check bios now. And yes, cool and quiet is ON.

62C is the max recommend for that cpu, so I wouldn't recommend you keep running it like that.

If it's always at 50c idle, maybe the temps program is wrong, which one are you using?

Try CPU ID Hardware monitor, it'll keep track of the highest and lowest temps the entire time you have it open.

I second this. if all else fails, grab some new thermal paste and reapply it (clean off the existing paste first.)

KewiinG

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Im using Core Temp R3, but now in Prime95 it never gets over 62, it stays at 59-60. I changed fan speed on my sidefans.. But it NOISY as hell..

KewiinG

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
It could be that i had serveral driver for my old cpu, since i reinstalled my computer with fresh drivers temp went down. All the programs im using, speedfan, core temp everest and bios all sais the same idle. the thing is that i never checked bios in idle before the installation.. the TDP is at 123.9watts

KewiinG

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Guys, another problem.. On amd's site it said that the voltage of my cpu should be 1.40, but my mobo has it as "Normal" at 1.45, so i changed it, and the problem is in Core temp it sais VID:1.4500 V still, any suggestions?

InvalidError

Titan

All programs get their temps from the system management bus so they will naturally report the same values give or take one polling interval.

Stubs101

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Get an aftermarket cooler and make sure u dont put to much paste on it. To much thermal paste can actually trap heat. In fact i dont know if someone recommended this but it might just need new or less thermal paste. I had a dell laptop which use to always overheat. I broke it open put on new thermal paste and it worked much better.