Blue Veritcal lines on monitor

MagicZeroX

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Tried reinstalling the driver for it. Its a nVidia geforce gts 8800 video card.

I let it cooldown for a bit to make sure it wasn't overheated but, im pretty sure its the video card at this point. I dont have another monitor to try it out on.

Went into Device Manager and had a yellow notification thing on the video card component. Looks like its dying on me, but I wanted to double check here first. Any help is appreciated.

MagicZeroX

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I got home and had a blue screen of death and noticed the blue lines. Restarted my computer and the blue lines come up once the OS does. Everything else is hazy right on startup. It looks disfigured.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
BSOD and lines typically indicate a failing card - I had this occur on my laptop with a discrete card.

1a) Try reseating your card after cleaning up your PCI-Express connector's contacts (both on card and mother board). Do likewise for the card's power connector(s).
1b) Try reseating your memory after cleaning the memory/slot contacts.
2a) If you're running Windows XP, try reducing Hardware Acceleration (under Display Properties) by one or two ticks.
2b) If you're running Windows Vista/7, try turning off the Desktop Windows Manager and Themes services.
3) Try underclocking your card by about 10-15% if you have the appropriate software.

If 2a, 2b, 3 minimizes the severity/frequency of the blue lines, it indicates a failing card.

4) Do you have onboard video or an alternate card that you can swap in, and see if things change?

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I Had A Simular Experiance With A 7800GT I Had After It Had A Severe Overheat, And A 9600GSO I Had That Popped A Few Capacitors, Look At Your Card Closely And Check For These Blown Capacitors (The Tops Will Be Split), Most Likely Your Card Has Gone The Way of The Dodo.

Jaimie

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I had this on my old PC, it was an ATI card (about nine years ago). I know exactly what you're talking about and it's so annoying! Luckily I had a spare monitor, I switched and used that. When I tried out the old one again it was OK. Spookiest 20 minutes of my life!