Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

This or that (parts question)

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 26, 2012 3:23:39 PM

I'm just finishing up my new build and I'm stuck between a few parts that are around the same price. I think I'm most concerned with what hardware will be reliable. If both parts are relatively equal in reliability, I would of course prefer better specs. Which parts do you think are better?


-----------------------------------

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$130 (shipping included)

or,

ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$129.99


The Asrock board has PCI express 3 but asus is probably the better brand. What do you think?

----------------------------------

MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$239.99 after rebate

or,

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$230 after rebate

The MSI gpu is overclocked and has two fans but the EVGA gpu has better ratings on newegg.


---------------------------------


Thanks in advance!



edit: These are my specs so far....


Intel Core i5-2500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$230

COOLER MASTER HAF922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$100

CORSAIR H70 Core High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
70$ after rebate

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$50

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820233191
$150 After Rebate

LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH22NS90B – OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$19

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$80 after rebate

More about : parts question

January 26, 2012 3:41:04 PM

MB - ASUS before the ASRock.

GPU - That is a wash.. Go with the better warranty or support reputation.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 3:49:51 PM

The Asrock is definitely the better choice for motherboard.

EVGA is the better choice for GPU - 10 year warranty, excellent support reputation.

If I may make two small suggestions:

1. For case if you want some suggestions check out:
- Fractal Design Arc MIDI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Corsair Carbide 400R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Antec 1100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. Don't get the Force 3, there's way better SSDs to choose from:
- Crucial M4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Samsung 830: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Plextor PX-M3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
Related resources
January 26, 2012 3:51:33 PM

I would go with the video card with 2 fans. It should run cooler than the one with one fan.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 4:04:01 PM

I really like my Asrock I bulit this month. I was impressed with the quality coming from an ASUS. Do you need 2 PCIE3.0? I didn't so I went with this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I prefer EVGA over MSI but personally went w/ a Gigabyte 6950 for the same price.

I'm really happy w/ my Force 3 60GB. Had latest firmware from Newegg and is very fast and stable.

Disclaimer: Only using these parts for past 2 weeks. :) 
Score
0
January 26, 2012 4:40:34 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The Asrock is definitely the better choice for motherboard.

EVGA is the better choice for GPU - 10 year warranty, excellent support reputation.

If I may make two small suggestions:

1. For case if you want some suggestions check out:
- Fractal Design Arc MIDI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Corsair Carbide 400R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Antec 1100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. Don't get the Force 3, there's way better SSDs to choose from:
- Crucial M4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Samsung 830: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Plextor PX-M3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



I do like the price of that Plextor drive. But just curious, why don't you like the force 3?
Score
0
January 26, 2012 4:53:07 PM

I think I'm more confused than before.

Which mother board is better? Or is there only preference?

Thank you
Score
0

Best solution

January 26, 2012 4:53:18 PM

rob1235 said:
I do like the price of that Plextor drive. But just curious, why don't you like the force 3?


Maybe it's just the old firmware but it's based off the same design as my Intel 320 is (Sandforce 3), and at times I would get tons of BSOD errors and things like that. I think Corsair has cleaned up the firmware but I am not entirely sure.

The price of the Plextor drive right now is a Shocker deal and you usually have to jump on those like immediately or you'll miss out.

Quote:
I think I'm more confused than before.

Which mother board is better? Or is there only preference?


It's more preference than anything but the Asrock in this case has quite a bit more features and bang-for-buck than the Asus LE boards do, and are future-proof with PCI-E 3.0 and will handle the 7970 and NVIDIA 6XX without any problems.
Share
January 26, 2012 5:05:34 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Maybe it's just the old firmware but it's based off the same design as my Intel 320 is (Sandforce 3), and at times I would get tons of BSOD errors and things like that. I think Corsair has cleaned up the firmware but I am not entirely sure.

The price of the Plextor drive right now is a Shocker deal and you usually have to jump on those like immediately or you'll miss out.

Quote:
I think I'm more confused than before.

Which mother board is better? Or is there only preference?


It's more preference than anything but the Asrock in this case has quite a bit more features and bang-for-buck than the Asus LE boards do, and are future-proof with PCI-E 3.0 and will handle the 7970 and NVIDIA 6XX without any problems.



Thank you!
Score
0
January 26, 2012 5:05:49 PM

Best answer selected by rob1235.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 5:08:42 PM

PCI-E 2.0 is future-proof, PCI-E 3.0 is a joke atm.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 5:13:43 PM

fatfatr said:
PCI-E 2.0 is future-proof, PCI-E 3.0 is a joke atm.


Can't really argue with that - most motherboards will default to X16 anyways.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 5:16:55 PM

But isn't kinda helping you with future proofing?

You can fit an IVB and PCIE3.0. SB will only do 2.0.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 7:55:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!