Screensaver shortcut with password protection

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Screensaver
  • Office
  • Windows XP
September 15, 2004 10:15:39 AM

Yes, it IS possible!!

I am running Windows XP Pro and have recently upgraded
from Office XP to Office 2003.

On the Office XP toolbar there used to be a shortcut to
screensaver that allowed the password protection to still
work. Many discussion groups wrongly state that this
shortcut doesn't provide the password protection. I think
that this is only the case when the shortcut is to a
particular .scr file, rather than the general screensaver
function.

MSoft have ditched the toolbar in Office 2003 and I can't
find the target of the Office XP toolbar shortcut.

Does anyone know a work around or the original target in
Office XP?

More about : screensaver shortcut password protection

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 12:25:15 PM

Screensaver Password Protection Does Not Work
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328000&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Dave Clark" wrote:

| Yes, it IS possible!!
|
| I am running Windows XP Pro and have recently upgraded
| from Office XP to Office 2003.
|
| On the Office XP toolbar there used to be a shortcut to
| screensaver that allowed the password protection to still
| work. Many discussion groups wrongly state that this
| shortcut doesn't provide the password protection. I think
| that this is only the case when the shortcut is to a
| particular .scr file, rather than the general screensaver
| function.
|
| MSoft have ditched the toolbar in Office 2003 and I can't
| find the target of the Office XP toolbar shortcut.
|
| Does anyone know a work around or the original target in
| Office XP?
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 12:25:16 PM

Carey,

I had this WORKING under Office XP!! My screensaver WAS
password protected when starting the screensaver from the
shortcut provided with the Office XP toolbar.

It is only if you create the shortcut yourself that the
password protection doesn't work. My query was "how do I
get it working under Office 2003?" as I have had it
working under Office XP.

Many thanks

us;328000&Product=winxp

>--
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows XP - Shell/User
>
>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul....
aspx

-------------

>"Dave Clark" wrote:
>
>| Yes, it IS possible!!
>|
>| I am running Windows XP Pro and have recently upgraded
>| from Office XP to Office 2003.
>|
>| On the Office XP toolbar there used to be a shortcut
>| screensaver that allowed the password protection to
still
>| work. Many discussion groups wrongly state that this
>| shortcut doesn't provide the password protection. I
think
>| that this is only the case when the shortcut is to a
>| particular .scr file, rather than the general
screensaver
>| function.
>|
>| MSoft have ditched the toolbar in Office 2003 and I
can't
>| find the target of the Office XP toolbar shortcut.
>|
>| Does anyone know a work around or the original target
in
>| Office XP?
>
>.

September 15, 2004 12:56:41 PM

How to Quickly Lock Your Computer and Use Other Windows Logo Shortcut Keys
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294317&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Dave Clark" wrote:

| Carey,
|
| I had this WORKING under Office XP!! My screensaver WAS
| password protected when starting the screensaver from the
| shortcut provided with the Office XP toolbar.
|
| It is only if you create the shortcut yourself that the
| password protection doesn't work. My query was "how do I
| get it working under Office 2003?" as I have had it
| working under Office XP.
|
| Many thanks
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 4:47:17 AM

Buy office XP if you want it's features.

War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:eNHFXvymEHA.3812@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> How to Quickly Lock Your Computer and Use Other Windows Logo Shortcut Keys
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294317&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "Dave Clark" wrote:
>
> | Carey,
> |
> | I had this WORKING under Office XP!! My screensaver WAS
> | password protected when starting the screensaver from the
> | shortcut provided with the Office XP toolbar.
> |
> | It is only if you create the shortcut yourself that the
> | password protection doesn't work. My query was "how do I
> | get it working under Office 2003?" as I have had it
> | working under Office XP.
> |
> | Many thanks

January 10, 2009 1:01:07 AM

create a file sslock.cmd with this content:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\Aurora.scr" /s
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

save it, run it...
only thing is, its going to quickly show the desktop before it locks the computer
February 3, 2010 2:20:25 PM

I have been experiencing this same problem of sorts. For some reason my registry entries pertaining to locking the workstation have been set to not allow. What I did to resolve the problem was to create a registry entry. I named it "Enable Task Manager.reg". Here is the content of that file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091
"DisablePersonalDirChange"=dword:00000001
"NoOnlinePrintsWizard"=dword:00000001
"ForceStartMenuLogOff"=dword:00000001
"NoClose"=dword:00000000
"NoLogoff"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000
"DisableLockWorkstation"=dword:00000000
"DisableChangePassword"=dword:00000000

After crating the file, run it and accept it into the registry. This clears up the problem for me and I hope it helps anyone else.
!