Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nikon rebates: a real scam

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 17, 2005 12:01:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:

I bought a D70 with a $100 rebate in January and I promptly returned my
rebate application along with my original UPC bar code.

End of March, more than 2 months after, having not received any news, I
send Nikon Rebates a message asking for an update. A few days later,
the update comes: they are 1-2 weeks late processing the rebate
requests, and I should check back later.

More than a month after, begin of May (4 months after I bought the
camera), I receive a letter from Nikon Rebates stating that they cannot
process my rebate application because I did not send the original box
end panel, but only a copy. They give me 21 days to send the original
one (the one that I had originally sent in January).
Plus, the product in reference of their letter is not my D70 but an
SB-800 AF. They obviously lost my application...

I send them a new message via their website (www.nikonrebates.com) to
confirm them that my rebate application concerns a D70, and that they
already have the original box end panel.

A few days later, I receive a generic answer telling me that I can
download a rebate application from www.nikonusa.com (I did not find any
rebate info on this website), and that if I have more questions, I can
always come back to their website.
Of course, "Consumer satisfaction is very important to us".

It is now 10 days from their deadline, and I am not sure what I should
do.
I called their customer service, but I was told, of course, that they
can't do anything, that they don't have any number for the rebate
department and that I should send another message via their website.

It is a real scam because Nikon makes you believe that in exchange for
your private information, you will receive a rebate, but once the
rebate application is sent, there is no proof that you sent it (you
send the originals...) and Nikon can ignore your application.

Any suggestion? Any similar experience?
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:55:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I got mine. $150.

You sent them the original UPC code from the box & they lied, saying it
was a xerox? That's pretty bad.

I took a picture of the UPC & the form before mailing <g>.


Thomas wrote:

> I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:
>
> I bought a D70 with a $100 rebate in January and I promptly returned my
> rebate application along with my original UPC bar code.
>
> End of March, more than 2 months after, having not received any news, I
> send Nikon Rebates a message asking for an update. A few days later,
> the update comes: they are 1-2 weeks late processing the rebate
> requests, and I should check back later.
>
> More than a month after, begin of May (4 months after I bought the
> camera), I receive a letter from Nikon Rebates stating that they cannot
> process my rebate application because I did not send the original box
> end panel, but only a copy. They give me 21 days to send the original
> one (the one that I had originally sent in January).
> Plus, the product in reference of their letter is not my D70 but an
> SB-800 AF. They obviously lost my application...
>
> I send them a new message via their website (www.nikonrebates.com) to
> confirm them that my rebate application concerns a D70, and that they
> already have the original box end panel.
>
> A few days later, I receive a generic answer telling me that I can
> download a rebate application from www.nikonusa.com (I did not find any
> rebate info on this website), and that if I have more questions, I can
> always come back to their website.
> Of course, "Consumer satisfaction is very important to us".
>
> It is now 10 days from their deadline, and I am not sure what I should
> do.
> I called their customer service, but I was told, of course, that they
> can't do anything, that they don't have any number for the rebate
> department and that I should send another message via their website.
>
> It is a real scam because Nikon makes you believe that in exchange for
> your private information, you will receive a rebate, but once the
> rebate application is sent, there is no proof that you sent it (you
> send the originals...) and Nikon can ignore your application.
>
> Any suggestion? Any similar experience?
>

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
san francisco native plants
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:50:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1116298908.002107.36280@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Thomas" <tjamet@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:

No problem at all getting my rebate for my 8800. *shrug*

----j7y

--
jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
(440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings
jere7my2@oberlin.net | Their ashes in urns
http://www.livejournal.com/~jere7my | Come back to each man's house."
--- Aeschylus, The Agamemnon
Related resources
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:34:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Well this may not be directly a Nikon reply, but it may help you with some
relevent information.
There is a big stink about Soyo rebates too. (check their newsgroup)
People complained so much that some of the stores selling Soyo products
actually gave their customers satisfaction with those rebates.

I have had problems with getting some of my rebates back.............even
from Microsoft. lol
I think I have gotten all of my rebates in. I guess I am lucky! ;-)

So try calling the store to see what they might do for you.
I hope you have photocopies of what you sent in. ;-)

Here is what happened to CompUSA due to rebate problems
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7160072

good luck,
dave
(One out of many daves)


"Thomas" <tjamet@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:1116298908.002107.36280@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:
>
> I bought a D70 with a $100 rebate in January and I promptly returned my
> rebate application along with my original UPC bar code.
>
> End of March, more than 2 months after, having not received any news, I
> send Nikon Rebates a message asking for an update. A few days later,
> the update comes: they are 1-2 weeks late processing the rebate
> requests, and I should check back later.
>
> More than a month after, begin of May (4 months after I bought the
> camera), I receive a letter from Nikon Rebates stating that they cannot
> process my rebate application because I did not send the original box
> end panel, but only a copy. They give me 21 days to send the original
> one (the one that I had originally sent in January).
> Plus, the product in reference of their letter is not my D70 but an
> SB-800 AF. They obviously lost my application...
>
> I send them a new message via their website (www.nikonrebates.com) to
> confirm them that my rebate application concerns a D70, and that they
> already have the original box end panel.
>
> A few days later, I receive a generic answer telling me that I can
> download a rebate application from www.nikonusa.com (I did not find any
> rebate info on this website), and that if I have more questions, I can
> always come back to their website.
> Of course, "Consumer satisfaction is very important to us".
>
> It is now 10 days from their deadline, and I am not sure what I should
> do.
> I called their customer service, but I was told, of course, that they
> can't do anything, that they don't have any number for the rebate
> department and that I should send another message via their website.
>
> It is a real scam because Nikon makes you believe that in exchange for
> your private information, you will receive a rebate, but once the
> rebate application is sent, there is no proof that you sent it (you
> send the originals...) and Nikon can ignore your application.
>
> Any suggestion? Any similar experience?
>
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:03:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I am assuming you are in the US, but if not you may need to adjust my
suggestion.

Most rebates are carried out not by the manufacturer, but by a
"fulfillment house" which is hired by the manufacturer. These
fulfillment houses actually often advertise to the manufacturers quite
proudly that they will do everything in their power to reduce the
liability to the manufacturer by rejecting and otherwise confounding as
many rebates as possible.

Bluntly put, these guys are hired to pay out as few rebates as possible.
Manufacturer's base their rebate percentages on usually 2-5% of sales
sold during the rebate period. Even larger rebate amounts rarely
resolve much above 5%, because they make the process onerous, difficult
to follow, and make sure to lose and otherwise dodge paying out every
one they can. When the response is very high, the fulfillment companies
kick into full gear to try to weed out every one they can.

I have dealt with literally hundreds of rebates over the last 10 years,
and I have always received mine, but I can tell you that about 50% are
2-3 months late, and of those about 50% required major intervention,
including phone calls, and threats of legal action, or involving the
retailer.

Every jurisdiction has slightly differing laws regarding rebates, so you
may need to find out the laws for your state/province or whatever.

Check the Attorney General's website for your area. In the US, federal
statutes now consider delayed payment of rebate as postal fraud, and you
can file with the US post office. You can also file with your consumer
protection or Attorney General's office in some states.

It is very important to document everything. Make photocopies of
everything you send, take note of dates, when things should be back to
you, what was asked, and what you sent. Note every time you write,
email or call, and who you spoke with and what they said.

In your case, I assume you were sent a letter claiming you didn't send
the right items or an email report was supplied. Make a copy, and keep
a copy of your reply. Indicate that you sent in the materials they had
requested, when it was sent, and if possible provide a copy of your copy
of anything you sent (never give up you own copies). Tell them that the
payment is overdue and that you expect it within a certain period of
time (like 14 days), and that if you do not get it, you will be filing a
fraud charge against the company. And then, do it! You can download
the forms as .pdf files from the post office, and fill out the forms
thoroughly, the address the stuff went to, what they asked for, what you
sent, again, copies of the copies you kept, and a listing of all
correspondence by email, letter or phone and who what where and when.

Send a copy of the basic complaint to both Nikon customer service and
the fulfillment company. They might just decide it is best to send you
the check than be stuck trying to defend it.

If the post office gets several of these for the same company they WILL
fine the manufacturer and the fulfillment company, sometimes quite heavily.

Don't let these companies get away with this. You bought the item
because the price was right WITH the rebate, and the rebate is a loan
you made to them. The contract says if you follow through the right
steps and with the right timing they have to fulfill their side and send
you a certain amount of money back by a certain date. Hold them to it.

Good luck,

Art


Thomas wrote:

> I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:
>
> I bought a D70 with a $100 rebate in January and I promptly returned my
> rebate application along with my original UPC bar code.
>
> End of March, more than 2 months after, having not received any news, I
> send Nikon Rebates a message asking for an update. A few days later,
> the update comes: they are 1-2 weeks late processing the rebate
> requests, and I should check back later.
>
> More than a month after, begin of May (4 months after I bought the
> camera), I receive a letter from Nikon Rebates stating that they cannot
> process my rebate application because I did not send the original box
> end panel, but only a copy. They give me 21 days to send the original
> one (the one that I had originally sent in January).
> Plus, the product in reference of their letter is not my D70 but an
> SB-800 AF. They obviously lost my application...
>
> I send them a new message via their website (www.nikonrebates.com) to
> confirm them that my rebate application concerns a D70, and that they
> already have the original box end panel.
>
> A few days later, I receive a generic answer telling me that I can
> download a rebate application from www.nikonusa.com (I did not find any
> rebate info on this website), and that if I have more questions, I can
> always come back to their website.
> Of course, "Consumer satisfaction is very important to us".
>
> It is now 10 days from their deadline, and I am not sure what I should
> do.
> I called their customer service, but I was told, of course, that they
> can't do anything, that they don't have any number for the rebate
> department and that I should send another message via their website.
>
> It is a real scam because Nikon makes you believe that in exchange for
> your private information, you will receive a rebate, but once the
> rebate application is sent, there is no proof that you sent it (you
> send the originals...) and Nikon can ignore your application.
>
> Any suggestion? Any similar experience?
>
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:07:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You probably fit into the percentage they had anticipated by a certain
date. They only get difficult once the money starts getting tight on a
specific rebate.

Don't get to smug about this... it's often just the luck of timing.

Art


jere7my tho?rpe wrote:

> In article <1116298908.002107.36280@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "Thomas" <tjamet@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>
>>I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:
>
>
> No problem at all getting my rebate for my 8800. *shrug*
>
> ----j7y
>
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:18:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <unjie.1384618$Xk.802429@pd7tw3no>,
Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

> You probably fit into the percentage they had anticipated by a certain
> date. They only get difficult once the money starts getting tight on a
> specific rebate.
>
> Don't get to smug about this... it's often just the luck of timing.

No smugness, but I wanted to provide a counterexample; too often, one
person out of a thousand gets screwed by something and tells the world
that it's a "scam", and that's what people remember when they go to buy
something. I've seen dozens of posts here along the lines of, "I was
going to buy X, but I read here that nobody gets their rebates," or
something similar.

And I bought my camera about three days before the purchase deadline.

----j7y

> jere7my tho?rpe wrote:
>
> > In article <1116298908.002107.36280@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> > "Thomas" <tjamet@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:
> >
> >
> > No problem at all getting my rebate for my 8800. *shrug*
> >
> > ----j7y
> >

--
jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
(440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings
jere7my2@oberlin.net | Their ashes in urns
http://www.livejournal.com/~jere7my | Come back to each man's house."
--- Aeschylus, The Agamemnon
May 17, 2005 6:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thank you all so much for your feedback.

I bought my camera online, which makes it harder if I want to go back
to the store...

Unfortunately, I did not make a copy of my rebate application before
sending it, but I still have my box with the missing UPC bar code that
I sent to them...

I do not believe that this is just bad luck, but I think that there are
deliberate actions from the fulfillment house to discourage people from
claiming the rebate:
- there is no phone number for the rebate department. The only way
to contact them is through their website.
- replies to your messages take usually a few days.
- replies are generic, and don't answer your questions.
- it takes them several months to process your rebate
- they give you short deadlines to comply with their process
...

Special thanks to you, Arthur, for your detailed email give me the
steps I will follow. I live in the state of New York, and I will check
Attorney General's website.

I will keep you posted if I have any news.

Thanks,
Thomas
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:33:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I don't know why companies do this. It's bad for reputation that no
matter how much ads they buy, cannot compensate for. I'd rather have a
30$ "instant" rebate than a 50$ "mailed in" one. For 75 $ or more I
would send them by registered mail. As mentioned in a previous post I
had bad experience with Kodak (3 times 10$, for film rebates - that I'd
rather forget than fight). I also had 2 bad experiences with
Technics/Panasonic too. But I got mine after 6 months, and long
distance calls. I sent the latter's by registered mail though. The only
good thing about Panasonic that I got mine a week after each phone call.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:34:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thomas <tjamet@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:
>
> I bought a D70 with a $100 rebate in January and I promptly returned my
> rebate application along with my original UPC bar code.
>
> End of March, more than 2 months after, having not received any news, I
> send Nikon Rebates a message asking for an update. A few days later,
> the update comes: they are 1-2 weeks late processing the rebate
> requests, and I should check back later.
>
> More than a month after, begin of May (4 months after I bought the
> camera), I receive a letter from Nikon Rebates stating that they cannot
> process my rebate application because I did not send the original box
> end panel, but only a copy. They give me 21 days to send the original
> one (the one that I had originally sent in January).
> Plus, the product in reference of their letter is not my D70 but an
> SB-800 AF. They obviously lost my application...
>
> I send them a new message via their website (www.nikonrebates.com) to
> confirm them that my rebate application concerns a D70, and that they
> already have the original box end panel.
>
> A few days later, I receive a generic answer telling me that I can
> download a rebate application from www.nikonusa.com (I did not find any
> rebate info on this website), and that if I have more questions, I can
> always come back to their website.
> Of course, "Consumer satisfaction is very important to us".
>
> It is now 10 days from their deadline, and I am not sure what I should
> do.
> I called their customer service, but I was told, of course, that they
> can't do anything, that they don't have any number for the rebate
> department and that I should send another message via their website.
>
> It is a real scam because Nikon makes you believe that in exchange for
> your private information, you will receive a rebate, but once the
> rebate application is sent, there is no proof that you sent it (you
> send the originals...) and Nikon can ignore your application.
>
> Any suggestion? Any similar experience?
>

It isn't a scam. I bought my D70 in mid March and recieved my check in
mid April. Nothing special, and rather quick really.

As far as your problem, it appears that something bad has occurred. I
would again call them and indicate to them the issue. If they give more
resistance, calmly indicate to them that you will have to start working
with your state's Attourney General's office, as your rebate is easily
trackable via the serial number of your camera, your receipt and the
photocopy of the barcode/serialnumber. You did take a photocopy, right?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
Spammers please contact me at renegade@veldy.net.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:37:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thomas wrote:
> Thank you all so much for your feedback.
>
> I bought my camera online, which makes it harder if I want to go back
> to the store...
>
> Unfortunately, I did not make a copy of my rebate application before
> sending it, but I still have my box with the missing UPC bar code that
> I sent to them...
>
> I do not believe that this is just bad luck, but I think that there are
> deliberate actions from the fulfillment house to discourage people from
> claiming the rebate:
> - there is no phone number for the rebate department. The only way
> to contact them is through their website.
> - replies to your messages take usually a few days.
> - replies are generic, and don't answer your questions.
> - it takes them several months to process your rebate
> - they give you short deadlines to comply with their process
> ...

You know, I got this same message from Nikon. I sent in the UPC code,
and got back mail saying that I didn't send it to them so they wouldn't
process the rebate. What a coincidence.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:28:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Cynicor <j..tru.p.i.n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>Thomas wrote:
>> Thank you all so much for your feedback.
>>
>> I bought my camera online, which makes it harder if I want to go back
>> to the store...
>>
>> Unfortunately, I did not make a copy of my rebate application before
>> sending it, but I still have my box with the missing UPC bar code that
>> I sent to them...
>>
>> I do not believe that this is just bad luck, but I think that there are
>> deliberate actions from the fulfillment house to discourage people from
>> claiming the rebate:
>> - there is no phone number for the rebate department. The only way
>> to contact them is through their website.
>> - replies to your messages take usually a few days.
>> - replies are generic, and don't answer your questions.
>> - it takes them several months to process your rebate
>> - they give you short deadlines to comply with their process
>> ...

>You know, I got this same message from Nikon. I sent in the UPC code,
>and got back mail saying that I didn't send it to them so they wouldn't
>process the rebate. What a coincidence.

It has been said before. Mail-in rebates are a scam
to make it seem as though the price is lower than it
really is.

The rebate house gets in on the action by messing up
a certain percentage of the submissions. I can't
prove that, but that's the way the anectdotal evidence
points.

I buy on the basis of the store price minus any in-store
rebates. If the mail-in works, that's great and I've got
some found money. If it does not, that's too bad. My own
time is usually too valuable to me to waste hours of it
chasing $20.

---- Paul J. Gans
May 18, 2005 12:23:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 17 May 2005 15:33:18 -0700, thithilir3r@jetable.org wrote:

> I don't know why companies do this. It's bad for reputation that no
> matter how much ads they buy, cannot compensate for.

I wholeheartedly agree. Why on earth would companies want their customer
experience to start with a task that drives them nuts?

> I also had 2 bad experiences with
> Technics/Panasonic too. But I got mine after 6 months, and long
> distance calls.

I am currently experiencing problems with a Panasonic rebate submitted more
than 6 months ago. At first their web site said my submission was rejected
for the reason "##############", whatever that means. After a phone call 2
months ago, they said it was delayed by "special review", but would be
honored. Now the web site says it has been processed, and is in "final
audit". These sound like delaying tactics, plain and simple.

Pete
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:07:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 16 May 2005 20:01:48 -0700, "Thomas" <tjamet@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:
>
>I bought a D70 with a $100 rebate in January and I promptly returned my
>rebate application along with my original UPC bar code.
>
>End of March, more than 2 months after, having not received any news, I
>send Nikon Rebates a message asking for an update. A few days later,
>the update comes: they are 1-2 weeks late processing the rebate
>requests, and I should check back later.
>
>More than a month after, begin of May (4 months after I bought the
>camera), I receive a letter from Nikon Rebates stating that they cannot
>process my rebate application because I did not send the original box
>end panel, but only a copy. They give me 21 days to send the original
>one (the one that I had originally sent in January).
>Plus, the product in reference of their letter is not my D70 but an
>SB-800 AF. They obviously lost my application...
>
>I send them a new message via their website (www.nikonrebates.com) to
>confirm them that my rebate application concerns a D70, and that they
>already have the original box end panel.
>
>A few days later, I receive a generic answer telling me that I can
>download a rebate application from www.nikonusa.com (I did not find any
>rebate info on this website), and that if I have more questions, I can
>always come back to their website.
>Of course, "Consumer satisfaction is very important to us".
>
>It is now 10 days from their deadline, and I am not sure what I should
>do.
>I called their customer service, but I was told, of course, that they
>can't do anything, that they don't have any number for the rebate
>department and that I should send another message via their website.
>
>It is a real scam because Nikon makes you believe that in exchange for
>your private information, you will receive a rebate, but once the
>rebate application is sent, there is no proof that you sent it (you
>send the originals...) and Nikon can ignore your application.
>
>Any suggestion? Any similar experience?


Call (631) 547-4369 and raise hell. Their system is flawed and they
know it. The big problem is that their seral numbers are not unique. I
sent in a D70 rebate and their website, based on serial number, shows
a rebate for a Coolpix was paid to someone else. I called and they
looked it up another way and it was OK.

Have you checked on nikonrebates.com to see if there is anything under
your serial number?
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:13:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 17 May 2005 14:41:47 -0700, "Thomas" <tjamet@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Thank you all so much for your feedback.
>
>I bought my camera online, which makes it harder if I want to go back
>to the store...
>
>Unfortunately, I did not make a copy of my rebate application before
>sending it, but I still have my box with the missing UPC bar code that
>I sent to them...
>
>I do not believe that this is just bad luck, but I think that there are
>deliberate actions from the fulfillment house to discourage people from
>claiming the rebate:
> - there is no phone number for the rebate department. The only way
>to contact them is through their website.
> - replies to your messages take usually a few days.
> - replies are generic, and don't answer your questions.
> - it takes them several months to process your rebate
> - they give you short deadlines to comply with their process
> ...
>
>Special thanks to you, Arthur, for your detailed email give me the
>steps I will follow. I live in the state of New York, and I will check
>Attorney General's website.

Notice that Nikon,s US offices are in Melville, NY and so you can
easily file an action against them. That said, they are reponsive to
rebate problems. Check hoovers.com for their phone number.
>
>I will keep you posted if I have any news.
>
>Thanks,
>Thomas
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:15:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 02:28:26 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <gans@panix.com>
wrote:

>Cynicor <j..tru.p.i.n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>Thomas wrote:
>>> Thank you all so much for your feedback.
>>>
>>> I bought my camera online, which makes it harder if I want to go back
>>> to the store...
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I did not make a copy of my rebate application before
>>> sending it, but I still have my box with the missing UPC bar code that
>>> I sent to them...
>>>
>>> I do not believe that this is just bad luck, but I think that there are
>>> deliberate actions from the fulfillment house to discourage people from
>>> claiming the rebate:
>>> - there is no phone number for the rebate department. The only way
>>> to contact them is through their website.
>>> - replies to your messages take usually a few days.
>>> - replies are generic, and don't answer your questions.
>>> - it takes them several months to process your rebate
>>> - they give you short deadlines to comply with their process
>>> ...
>
>>You know, I got this same message from Nikon. I sent in the UPC code,
>>and got back mail saying that I didn't send it to them so they wouldn't
>>process the rebate. What a coincidence.
>
>It has been said before. Mail-in rebates are a scam
>to make it seem as though the price is lower than it
>really is.
>
>The rebate house gets in on the action by messing up
>a certain percentage of the submissions. I can't
>prove that, but that's the way the anectdotal evidence
>points.
>
>I buy on the basis of the store price minus any in-store
>rebates. If the mail-in works, that's great and I've got
>some found money. If it does not, that's too bad. My own
>time is usually too valuable to me to waste hours of it
>chasing $20.

So far this year, I've received almost $1000 in rebates, three of them
accounting for about $600. I have never failed to get a rebate but
sometimes you have to apply some pressure.

>
> ---- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:17:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 17 May 2005 18:34:13 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Thomas <tjamet@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> I thought I would share my bad Nikon experience with you:
>>
>> I bought a D70 with a $100 rebate in January and I promptly returned my
>> rebate application along with my original UPC bar code.
>>
>> End of March, more than 2 months after, having not received any news, I
>> send Nikon Rebates a message asking for an update. A few days later,
>> the update comes: they are 1-2 weeks late processing the rebate
>> requests, and I should check back later.
>>
>> More than a month after, begin of May (4 months after I bought the
>> camera), I receive a letter from Nikon Rebates stating that they cannot
>> process my rebate application because I did not send the original box
>> end panel, but only a copy. They give me 21 days to send the original
>> one (the one that I had originally sent in January).
>> Plus, the product in reference of their letter is not my D70 but an
>> SB-800 AF. They obviously lost my application...
>>
>> I send them a new message via their website (www.nikonrebates.com) to
>> confirm them that my rebate application concerns a D70, and that they
>> already have the original box end panel.
>>
>> A few days later, I receive a generic answer telling me that I can
>> download a rebate application from www.nikonusa.com (I did not find any
>> rebate info on this website), and that if I have more questions, I can
>> always come back to their website.
>> Of course, "Consumer satisfaction is very important to us".
>>
>> It is now 10 days from their deadline, and I am not sure what I should
>> do.
>> I called their customer service, but I was told, of course, that they
>> can't do anything, that they don't have any number for the rebate
>> department and that I should send another message via their website.
>>
>> It is a real scam because Nikon makes you believe that in exchange for
>> your private information, you will receive a rebate, but once the
>> rebate application is sent, there is no proof that you sent it (you
>> send the originals...) and Nikon can ignore your application.
>>
>> Any suggestion? Any similar experience?
>>
>
>It isn't a scam. I bought my D70 in mid March and recieved my check in
>mid April. Nothing special, and rather quick really.
>
>As far as your problem, it appears that something bad has occurred. I
>would again call them and indicate to them the issue. If they give more
>resistance, calmly indicate to them that you will have to start working
>with your state's Attourney General's office, as your rebate is easily
>trackable via the serial number of your camera, your receipt and the
>photocopy of the barcode/serialnumber. You did take a photocopy, right?


Apparently he didn't. And serial number alone isn't sufficient to ID a
Nikon product. They use the same numbers on different products
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:05:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Agreed 100% !

> If manufacturers wanted to be nice to their customers, they'd
> simply cut the price at the store. Or, if they want to play
> the silly rebate game, allow the store to collect rebate
> coupons and give the refund and then pass the collected coupons
> on _en masse_.
>
> That would save everyone processing money, wouldn't it?
>
> ----- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:23:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Oliver Costich <olc-caNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
>On Wed, 18 May 2005 02:28:26 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <gans@panix.com>
>wrote:

>>Cynicor <j..tru.p.i.n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>>Thomas wrote:
>>>> Thank you all so much for your feedback.
>>>>
>>>> I bought my camera online, which makes it harder if I want to go back
>>>> to the store...
>>>>
>>>> Unfortunately, I did not make a copy of my rebate application before
>>>> sending it, but I still have my box with the missing UPC bar code that
>>>> I sent to them...
>>>>
>>>> I do not believe that this is just bad luck, but I think that there are
>>>> deliberate actions from the fulfillment house to discourage people from
>>>> claiming the rebate:
>>>> - there is no phone number for the rebate department. The only way
>>>> to contact them is through their website.
>>>> - replies to your messages take usually a few days.
>>>> - replies are generic, and don't answer your questions.
>>>> - it takes them several months to process your rebate
>>>> - they give you short deadlines to comply with their process
>>>> ...
>>
>>>You know, I got this same message from Nikon. I sent in the UPC code,
>>>and got back mail saying that I didn't send it to them so they wouldn't
>>>process the rebate. What a coincidence.
>>
>>It has been said before. Mail-in rebates are a scam
>>to make it seem as though the price is lower than it
>>really is.
>>
>>The rebate house gets in on the action by messing up
>>a certain percentage of the submissions. I can't
>>prove that, but that's the way the anectdotal evidence
>>points.
>>
>>I buy on the basis of the store price minus any in-store
>>rebates. If the mail-in works, that's great and I've got
>>some found money. If it does not, that's too bad. My own
>>time is usually too valuable to me to waste hours of it
>>chasing $20.

>So far this year, I've received almost $1000 in rebates, three of them
>accounting for about $600. I have never failed to get a rebate but
>sometimes you have to apply some pressure.

Good for you!

If I'd had a large item rebate I'd likely hound folks too.

But my point is rather different. Rebates allow the manufacturer
to *pretend* to be giving a large discount to everyone. In fact
everyone does NOT get the rebate. For some it is their own
fault -- but the manufacturer counts on that for added profit.
For others it is the sillybuggers routines that the rebate house
wants you to jump through. That's actually venal.

If manufacturers wanted to be nice to their customers, they'd
simply cut the price at the store. Or, if they want to play
the silly rebate game, allow the store to collect rebate
coupons and give the refund and then pass the collected coupons
on _en masse_.

That would save everyone processing money, wouldn't it?

----- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:04:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:23:50 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <gans@panix.com>
wrote:

>Oliver Costich <olc-caNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
>>On Wed, 18 May 2005 02:28:26 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <gans@panix.com>
>>wrote:
>
>>>Cynicor <j..tru.p.i.n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>>>Thomas wrote:
>>>>> Thank you all so much for your feedback.
>>>>>
>>>>> I bought my camera online, which makes it harder if I want to go back
>>>>> to the store...
>>>>>
>>>>> Unfortunately, I did not make a copy of my rebate application before
>>>>> sending it, but I still have my box with the missing UPC bar code that
>>>>> I sent to them...
>>>>>
>>>>> I do not believe that this is just bad luck, but I think that there are
>>>>> deliberate actions from the fulfillment house to discourage people from
>>>>> claiming the rebate:
>>>>> - there is no phone number for the rebate department. The only way
>>>>> to contact them is through their website.
>>>>> - replies to your messages take usually a few days.
>>>>> - replies are generic, and don't answer your questions.
>>>>> - it takes them several months to process your rebate
>>>>> - they give you short deadlines to comply with their process
>>>>> ...
>>>
>>>>You know, I got this same message from Nikon. I sent in the UPC code,
>>>>and got back mail saying that I didn't send it to them so they wouldn't
>>>>process the rebate. What a coincidence.
>>>
>>>It has been said before. Mail-in rebates are a scam
>>>to make it seem as though the price is lower than it
>>>really is.
>>>
>>>The rebate house gets in on the action by messing up
>>>a certain percentage of the submissions. I can't
>>>prove that, but that's the way the anectdotal evidence
>>>points.
>>>
>>>I buy on the basis of the store price minus any in-store
>>>rebates. If the mail-in works, that's great and I've got
>>>some found money. If it does not, that's too bad. My own
>>>time is usually too valuable to me to waste hours of it
>>>chasing $20.
>
>>So far this year, I've received almost $1000 in rebates, three of them
>>accounting for about $600. I have never failed to get a rebate but
>>sometimes you have to apply some pressure.
>
>Good for you!
>
>If I'd had a large item rebate I'd likely hound folks too.
>
>But my point is rather different. Rebates allow the manufacturer
>to *pretend* to be giving a large discount to everyone. In fact
>everyone does NOT get the rebate. For some it is their own
>fault -- but the manufacturer counts on that for added profit.
>For others it is the sillybuggers routines that the rebate house
>wants you to jump through. That's actually venal.

They are only offering the rebate to those willing to meet their
conditions. People who find that too burdensome don't get them.
>
>If manufacturers wanted to be nice to their customers, they'd
>simply cut the price at the store. Or, if they want to play
>the silly rebate game, allow the store to collect rebate
>coupons and give the refund and then pass the collected coupons
>on _en masse_.

But then Nikon giving a $200 rebate on a D70 would be too unprofitable
for them so any discount that was appled to every camera would be
significantly smaller. I prefer the present system where I get the
$200 because some people won't use them.

>
>That would save everyone processing money, wouldn't it?
>
> ----- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:05:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 18 May 2005 18:05:46 -0700, thithilir3r@jetable.org wrote:

>
>Agreed 100% !
>

And cost you more because they aren't about to give that rebate on
every camera.

>> If manufacturers wanted to be nice to their customers, they'd
>> simply cut the price at the store. Or, if they want to play
>> the silly rebate game, allow the store to collect rebate
>> coupons and give the refund and then pass the collected coupons
>> on _en masse_.
>>
>> That would save everyone processing money, wouldn't it?
>>
>> ----- Paul J. Gans
!