cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Ok first off - im a huge rookie when it comes to this topic, so offer/suggest me ANYTHING.
My temps are 35 at idle and then i open something and BAM - 45C leap just like that ( im using core temp ).
I have a 120m sidefan blowing air on the cpu and then a top-rear 120mm fan sucking air out of the case.
Also my PSU is sucking air from the gpu (560ti OC) and blowing it out (temps are 30 at idle).
But the cpu temps are strange, well the most that bothers me is the noise the stock cooler makes. Whenever the cores temp suddenly jumps - i cant even hear music..

Any suggestions on what to do with my cpu ?

PS! ALSO!
I heard there are hotfixes for BD processors ? what are they all about

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
whats your normal room temp? as for temps changing fast, thats fairly normal, one thing to check to see how much temperature difference there is from core temp and amd overdrive. Amd overdrive monitors the internal cpu temp, where core temp monitors the motherboard sensor.

As for the noise from the stock cooler, its controlled by the motherboard sensor. Keeping the socket cool is as improtant as cooling the cpu itself for noise control. Mainly need to make sure there is plenty of air flow across where the cpu, vrm, and ram are. As for the fans, the side fan, is it below or above the gpu?

Last the windows hotfixes changes the way BD is percieved. With the hotfixes, the 8120 will be a 4 core 8 thread cpu, ie windows will try to load programs across 4 main "cores" before the other 4 "threads". Some programs benefit from this.

Without seeing a picture, it's difficult to tell but have you considered the possibility of conflicting air flow inside the case? Many times the placement of fans make sense but in reality it might be hindering the cooling effect. That's just one possibility I'm suggesting to you.

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
somethings wrong tho... i removed the sidefan and fan speed is still going up-down-up-down... i realized my CPU isnt downclocking when idle... it stays at 3.4ghz ?!? even tho fx-8120 is stock at 3.1ghz...
also when i went to bios and changed my corsair vengeance ram to 1600mhz from 1333mhz it displayed a boot error and i had to change it back... whats the problem ?

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
got it fixed - i had options on maximum performance and under that it had - MINIMUM PROCESSOR STATE: 100%.
changed that to 0 and now it downclocks at idle nicely and temp is 20-25 :)

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
gigabyte 990fxa-ud3

love the processor and performance but i hate the fact that the stock cooler is SOOOOO FREAKING LOUUDDD.
when i run at 3.1ghz and playing bf3 then the fan is sooooo louuddd.. it keeps it cool tho, about 50C