Full Tower or Mid??

yamaha772

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hi guys.
This is my first build and i have been looking all over and i just cant decide if i will need a full tower or not.
My build will consist of this:
P8Z68- V Pro
1 TB Western Digital HDD
80GB Intel SSD
Radeon HD 6950
Asus DVD Reader Writer
Corsair 750W Power Supply
8 or 16GB ram...Havent fully decided on this one yet... any suggestions are welcomed.... i will use this for movies, a lot of gaming, browsing, college work... etc
Intel i5 2500k
Which case do you think will work best? I want usb 3.0 and good fan circulation.... Something like the Antec Twelve Hundred V3 as a full tower example.
Thanks guys!!

No one needs a full tower case unless they have huge hands and a lot of space under their desk they want to fill
Bigger cases dont cool better .

You wont need 16 gig of RAM for gaming . Even 2 x4 gig is overkill but it is good value .1600MHz and 1.5 volt or less

Unless you might add a second graphics card a 650 watt psu is plenty

80 gig is marginal for a boot drive . You will want a conventional hard drive as well , so you can install a smaller 32 - 40 SSD as a cache drive and get almost all of the performance of the larger SSD without the cost .

I like the look of the new Antec 300 two

If you are going to be over clocking your GPU's and CPU, simply put, there;s no substitution for lots of room and lots of air flow.....smaller mid tower cases can provide comparable air flow but the smaller fans / higher speeds mean more noise. If not cranking on the GPUs and CPU, you can easily get away w/ the smaller cases.

Along that vein, putting a Corsair TX 750 in an Antec 1200 V3 would be a mistake. The CP-850 has more power, is cheaper, more highly rated, quieter and runs cooler....and it's designed specifically for the 1200 and just 4 other cases.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=142

[The CP-850] is completely unmatched by any ATX unit on the market I can think of. You'd have to spend twice as much as this thing costs to find the next best thing, performance wise.

If ya wanna read how the case and PSU work together to provide "unfair competition" in the areas of quietness and cooling, read this:

The [Antec 1200's design] is an obviously unfair advantage for the CP-850... but what of it? Antec has used an integrated systems approach for its CP-850 and its best cases, and if that approach is an advantage over all other case/PSU combinations, then, all the more power to Antec!

As for the SSD, you have selected a Tier 10 unit.....a tier 3 unit (Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120 GB, Patriot WildFire 120 GB, Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB) would be twice as fast for just $60 more

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmark,3115-6.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134

2 x 4GB is plenty, make sue its low profile so it don't hit the CPU heat sink .... RAM coolers are relics from days long past.