Motherboard and memory upgrade?

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I've been contemplating upgrade my memory and motherboard,

Currently I have an MSI P67A-GD65 and 16GB of Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 MHZ...

Unfortunately due to my new cpu cooler I've had to remove the cool looking heat spreaders on my memory.. And now that they're off I want new memory.

But I really don't understand most of the numbers associated with the timings... Or what I'm supposed to be looking for? Money isn't a primary concern (Of course I don't want to mortgage my house for it.) I really just want something to go along with the rest of my components...

TL:DR, what am I looking for with memory, and motherboard selections? I've got an i7-2700k and two 560 TI's in SLI. Any recomendations?

RealBeast

Titan
I would look at an ASUS Z68 motherboard, minimum Z68-V on up depending on what you want to spend.

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X -- it just works and is highly reliable. I run the 1600 at 9-9-9-24, you can get better timings for just a few bucks more, but it really does not have any real world impact.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Thanks, so I looked up some, and there seems to be quite a few different ones =S An LX, LV, and so on... Looking at the details on them, the differences don't really strike me... Any info on what makes them so different?

I've only ever seen good things about that memory, but I also saw it has those fins... I would not like to need to remove them... Are they taller or shorter then the ones on Corsair Vengeance? Mainly will they fit under a Noctua NH-D14?

RealBeast

Titan
The V does 8x and 8x on the two 16x pci e slots while the LX and LV only do 16x 4x. The PRO does 8x 8x but also has 1394 (firewire) connectors on the rear panel. The more expensive models add more usb 3 ports and have more pci e x 16 slots for multiple graphics. They all work with the same cpu and memory and overclock similarly.

The G.Skill is lower profile than the Vengance, and I have not had any issues fitting them under a variety of coolers -- a little tight on the first slot but no real problems.