CPU/MOBO Upgrae for Music Production RIG

kingsham

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hello tom's hardware community. I have been in music production since around 2002, and serious with the music since about 2006. Over the years I have mainly used AMD machines, all have crapped out, but mainly because of HD failure and not the CPU. I had a Intel Core 2 Duo Dell laptop in 2009-2010 until it was stolen and destroyed.

The time has come for me to upgrade my system. Currently I am running an AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE with 6 gb of DDR2 ram (dont know the speed/specs on it) and ASUS MB with windows 7. I have had this current computer since around march of 2009.

Granted my music production business has well paid for my system numerous times, lately my computer has been sluggish while running FL Studio 10. I use multiple vsts, usually around 5-10 per song along with various FX plugins. My cpu load is usually in the high 80s and 90s and has actually made it impossible to play certain tracks when I load them up in FL. Pricewise if I was to stay with AMD I could save money as I am going to use the case and power supply I already have. I have somewhat convinced myself in my mind to switch over to the Intel side of things. Basically processorwise, I have been looking at the Phenom II X4 and X6 and the Intel Core i5....each one has various models with the main variances being clock speed and the such. Im at a crossroad and really don't know what direction to go.

Im on a college student's budget. Basically I will need something that will be able to run around 7-15 vsts at a time and I would need the computer to last for around 3-4 years as my current system has.

All advice is welcome and suggestions as well.

Check out my websites as well.

www.ricandthadeusmusic.com
www.instrumentalsforsale.com