I5-3550 with Z77?

Jowiso

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hello -

Due to budgeting, it looks like I might have to stick with an i5-3550 rather than the 3570k that I was considering.

Anyway, with a 3550, should I still be getting a Z77 board? If not, what chipset would be the best for full features while still saving money?

Finally, not being able to overclock won't be a big deal in my situation, correct? This will be a moderate gaming/entertainment build. GPU is a HD 6950. I'll still get top notch performance for my uses? Thanks guys!

Azok

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I would save for the 3570k, you may not need to overclock now, but in a year or two you might.

Yes you want a z77 board for the PCIe 3.0 capabilities (yet to matter).

InvalidError

Titan

Without having a more detailed description of your situation, it is hard to tell.

For the most part though, overclocking in gaming is largely unnecessary beyond benchmarking to brag about higher FPS rates at lower resolution and/or detail levels so if earning bragging rights is nowhere on your radar, a non-K CPU would be a reasonable choice. I am considering the i5-3470 for my next PC.

Chipset-wise, if you do not plan to use SLI/Xfire nor ever overclocking, you can use a board with h77 to shave a few more bucks. Other than no overclock support and no support for SLI/Xfire, z77 and h77 are otherwise functionally identical.

G

get the i5-2500k cheaper than the 3570k. and only $10 more than 3550. overclocking that will get you good performance still. the ONLY benefit from pci 3.0 is turning a x4 slot into a like pci 2.0 x8 for SLI or Xfire.

You don't need a Z77 motherboard to get PCIe 3.0. All the Ivy Bridge chipsets support PCIe 3.0, even the H77.