Sign in with
Your question

PCIe 2.1 GPU, PCIe 1.x mobo: Potential pitfalls?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2011 4:01:29 PM

Howdy folks,

So finally, it's RIP to the 9800GTX... See my other thread for the sad story.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I've lined up the MSI Radeon HD 6850 Cyclone Power Edition/OC -1GB as a potential replacement. A few things concern me though:

1) Putting a PCIe 2.1 card in a 1.x slot seems to be something of an unknown quantity; works for some, not so well for others. Any advice in this regard would be appreciated.

2) Power is another question mark. From what I understand, PCIe 2 delivers more watts that PCIe 1 did. Hence I'm slighty worried that the slot + one 6pin connector will not be enough to power a 6850. The card only has one power connector, so I can't add a second one for a safety margin.

If the 6850 will not work, I'm open to other suggestions. Systems specs are in my sig.

P.S. StarCraft 2 is the most graphically intense game I own, and that's not likely to change soon.
a c 1363 U Graphics card
November 27, 2011 6:27:14 PM

I believe they are the same electrically all supplying 75watts "Power
PCI Express cards are allowed a maximum power consumption of 25W (×1: 10W for power-up). Low profile cards are limited to 10W (×16 to 25W). PCI Express Graphics (PEG) cards may increase power (from slot) to 75W after configuration (3.3V/3A + 12V/5.5A).[8] Optional connectors add 75W (6-pin) or 150W (8-pin) power for up to 300W total."
a c 171 U Graphics card
November 27, 2011 6:43:16 PM

a good clue is to search your motherboard model + a newer gfx card in google. If any forum results show that it doesn;t work, then I would be wary. the board I used to have, search this http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&... and it comes up with many problems. Searched for your motherboard and a bunch of different vid cards and couldn't find any issues.If you like SCII I believe you will be slightly better off with a nvidia card, like the gtx460.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2011 7:03:13 PM

The 460 is becoming very hard to find. No other Nvidia card comes close to the 6850 in my price range. The 550 is overpriced for the performance.
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 6:28:03 PM

OK, I tried out a borrowed 6850 and it worked, although the performance was not fantastic. In 3DMark06 it benched about 16% better than the 9800GTX. The card was running extremely hot though, which was unexpected.
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 5:34:30 AM

HD6850 installed and purring like a kitten... Yeah! I haven't put it through its paces properly, but so far I haven't been able to push the card beyond 62C. The Cyclone cooler is amazing...
!