Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Ditching Cyberpower, gonna build it myself....

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2012 9:37:52 PM

After several attempts at configuring a system at CP, and not liking the cost or the feedback, I decided to take the forums advice and build it myself. All of these items are at newegg, awaiting my final click.I definitely was able to get better quality stuff.

I suspect many will say i5 2500k vs 8150 and I am admittedly torn. I know benchmarks are better....but I can't shake the intel/nvidia : amd/ati paradigm and I like the 7970.
I would love some feed back from the forum.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week/tonight

Budget Range: (2500+/-)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: , gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: Case: Thermaltake Spedo Advance, Case Fan: Big Typhoon, speakers, keyboard/mouse, card reader...

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: AMD

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but not right away. The single card 7970 will be plenty, but I've got the power and mobo set for CF in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080,

Additional Comments: Fortunately I found a friend in the business who will help with build/details

Build:
mobo : ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX
GPU : SAPPHIRE 21197-00-40G Radeon HD 7970 3GB
PSU : Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200W
CPU : AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+
Mem. : CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s (as the boot drive)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Asus VE248H Black 24" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers
Sony Optiarc Black 12X Half Height Tray Blu-ray Writer SATA BD-5300S

Thank you very much for any thoughts/opinions

More about : ditching cyberpower gonna build

January 26, 2012 9:46:55 PM

Quote:
I suspect many will say i5 2500k vs 8150 and I am admittedly torn. I know benchmarks are better....but I can't shake the intel/nvidia : amd/ati paradigm and I like the 7970.

GPUs are not CPU specific. You can run the 7970 on SB and it will be perfectly fine for what you need it to do (I alternate between Radeon and GTX on my system). The only difference is when AMD runs its CPUs with special codecs that communicate with AMD GPUs better called "AMD Vision" - it doesn't really mean anything. It's just a way to streamline how the CPU communicates with the graphics lanes better.

Are you that set on getting an AMD system? The Zambezi/FX/whatever has had so many problems that it's hard to justify a purchase. I'm sticking with my X6 until it dies.

You might want to read this about the improvements made to the FX here, it's an improvement but it's still not enough: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bu...

The BIOS issues and everything else that's gone wrong with FX are still main reasons not to suggest it, especially on a $2500 build.

In the meantime your build looks pretty good but two small suggestions I'd make are that your 1200W PSU is major overkill. You might want to go with a 950 or 850, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And ditch the Velociraptor HD - awful drives - anything over 7200 RPM you will not notice any sort of performance gain (and some times these drives actually hinder system performance). That is not a good setup. You're better going with a smaller SSD and a larger secondary storage solution. Try this:

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
January 26, 2012 9:51:46 PM

For processor, intel hands down. The i5-2500k beats any amd processor for gaming.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

January 26, 2012 10:01:46 PM

I think that for gaming the best match right now is the i5-2500k cpu and the 7970 video card. A lot of people think that just because they have an AMD cpu that they have to get an AMD video card and it's just not true. So if the computer is for gaming then the combination that I listed would be best. The buldozer is just not that good with gaming compared to the Sandy Bridge. If it was for word processing and/or video editing and such then I would go with the Zambezi.
The power supply is also not that great I have a thermaltake toughpower 1200w sitting on my basement shelf because it's just not that good and it is a replacement for the one that blew up inside my computer. I currently have an Antec High Current Pro 1200w and it powers three Gtx 580's , 24gb of ram and a six core cpu plus three SSD's , a hdd and fans.
I like your other choices and I have the same Velociraptor HDD and it is a very good chopice for your OS as well as the ram.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
$229.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
$34.99

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$204.99

SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$219.99

With two video cards you won't need more than 1000w and you could even get an 850w but I don't like to go with just enough I always like a little extra for kust in case.
January 26, 2012 10:12:09 PM

Quote:
I think that for gaming the best match right now is the i5-2500k cpu and the 7970 video card. A lot of people think that just because they have an AMD cpu that they have to get an AMD video card and it's just not true

I don't get where that mindset comes from... I have wasted a good many hours trying to explain that, one of the mods should make that a sticky thread. :lol: 
Score
January 26, 2012 10:21:24 PM

The thing is you can make an argument for an AMD cpu and an AMD video card because it's from the same company but why Intel and Nvidia , they are two seperate companies and they are about to be competitors as Nvidia is getting to the point of building cpu's for various devices (smartphones and tablets) and it won't be long before they will be building desktop cpu's.
Score
January 26, 2012 10:41:22 PM

Back on topic, why waste money on Bulldozer if you have a good sized budget? If you're building a $2500 computer and throwing that in there, you're taking the FX way out of its budget context. Have you seen the system builder build Tom's did awhile back with an FX thrown in to see how it held up? The older Intel system beat the FX into the ground.

I did a budget Phenom II1100T build for a media system not long ago, and I wouldn't downgrade by sticking that FX chip in there for anything.

With your price range, start thinking about an i7, although an i5 is more than good enough for gaming.
Score
January 26, 2012 10:43:12 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:
I think that for gaming the best match right now is the i5-2500k cpu and the 7970 video card. A lot of people think that just because they have an AMD cpu that they have to get an AMD video card and it's just not true

I don't get where that mindset comes from... I have wasted a good many hours trying to explain that, one of the mods should make that a sticky thread. :lol: 

I am not sure where I first heard it but it has been a recurring theme for years... I can understand that it is just not true and given that I really just want a great gaming rig I will go with the i5 2500k, ....and I'll just deal with that niggling little voice that says "have an AMD cpu that they have to get an AMD video card" lol.

Thanks g-unit
Score
January 26, 2012 10:48:31 PM

inzone said:
I think that for gaming the best match right now is the i5-2500k cpu and the 7970 video card. A lot of people think that just because they have an AMD cpu that they have to get an AMD video card and it's just not true. So if the computer is for gaming then the combination that I listed would be best. The buldozer is just not that good with gaming compared to the Sandy Bridge. If it was for word processing and/or video editing and such then I would go with the Zambezi.
The power supply is also not that great I have a thermaltake toughpower 1200w sitting on my basement shelf because it's just not that good and it is a replacement for the one that blew up inside my computer. I currently have an Antec High Current Pro 1200w and it powers three Gtx 580's , 24gb of ram and a six core cpu plus three SSD's , a hdd and fans.
I like your other choices and I have the same Velociraptor HDD and it is a very good chopice for your OS as well as the ram.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
$229.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
$34.99

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$204.99

SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$219.99

With two video cards you won't need more than 1000w and you could even get an 850w but I don't like to go with just enough I always like a little extra for kust in case.

inzone,
Thanks for the feedback. So I switch to an i5 2500k with the asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 and a less beefy psu ( I do like the looks of the SeaSonic); will I need to change anything else? will it work with the Big Typhoon cpu fan that I aleady have? or do I need the CM 212 EVO?
Score
January 26, 2012 10:54:58 PM

tajisi said:
Back on topic, why waste money on Bulldozer if you have a good sized budget? If you're building a $2500 computer and throwing that in there, you're taking the FX way out of its budget context. Have you seen the system builder build Tom's did awhile back with an FX thrown in to see how it held up? The older Intel system beat the FX into the ground.

I did a budget Phenom II1100T build for a media system not long ago, and I wouldn't downgrade by sticking that FX chip in there for anything.

With your price range, start thinking about an i7, although an i5 is more than good enough for gaming.

Tajisi,
Thanks for the feedback. Many people here at Tom's seem to agree that the i5 2500k is the best for gaming. I first configured an i7 and feedback was that it was overkill unless I was doing a lot more than gaming...which I'm not. There are several local guys who love the FX and other AMD products and I think that that is contributing to my thinking. The more I talk about it and listen to a broader range of people, the more I'm hearing that intel is better and i5 is best for gaming.

Whats the thinking on the next generations of intel and AMD, the ivybridge and whatever AMD is going to call it's next offering?
Score
January 27, 2012 12:20:40 AM

Best answer selected by dftaylor1rn.
Score
January 27, 2012 3:01:16 AM

dftaylor1rn said:
inzone,
Thanks for the feedback. So I switch to an i5 2500k with the asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 and a less beefy psu ( I do like the looks of the SeaSonic); will I need to change anything else? will it work with the Big Typhoon cpu fan that I aleady have? or do I need the CM 212 EVO?

The reason that I listed the Seasonic is because it is kust better built then the other psu's for the most part. It will take care of your needs with the big cpu fan you have in mind. You won't need to change anything else since by going with the Sandy Bridge made your build that much better.
Score
January 27, 2012 10:34:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score