GTX460 SC & Needing 3 Monitor Expansion

Wiznaz

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Hey all, I am running an EVGA 768MB GTX 460 Superclocked edition. I game with a single monitor and am fine with this card. However, my work requires me to use a 3rd screen. This need for a 3rd monitor has created a dilemma since a single Nvidia 460 will only support 2 monitors.

■Should I pick up an additional GTX460 SC and run SLI for up to 4 monitor support? The card still seems to be expensive but the GPU setup should last longer till the next upgrade.

■Should I get in on This Powercolor Radeon HD 6850 deal for $100 and run 3 monitors from a single card? I know it's a similar card to what I have but I could sell my 460 on fleabay or gift it to my brother.

■Should I just go with a cheapo USB 2.0 to DVI Display Adapter for $40? I need a quality connection and would hate if I see the screen freeze or any other connectivity issues.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Wiznaz

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

Thanks for the quick reply, Hella-D. I think the card below could work out better. I would swap it with my brother's old 7800GTX. He wanted an HDMI port and this one has it plus the added graphics capability.

XFX GeForce GT 240 512MB $20 AR

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Your Welcome, But Its Just Good Idea To Make Sure That Even The Lower End Card Has The Same Features As Your Main Card (The 240 Is Dx10 Whereas The 460 Is Dx11) Unless Your Only Interested In PhyX Then Any Dx10 Card Or Better Will Be Fine, Anyway Just A Suggestion Take It With A Grain Of Salt.

Wiznaz

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
You bring up a very good point. Excuse my ignorance but if I am gaming with a single monitor connected to the GTX460, I will not be able to utilize DX11 if the 2nd card (idle) is not DX11 capable? This would be very important to me.

If the cards are not SLi'd (which they won't be if they are different cards) then you will be using DX11, as the second card will be ignored by the game and OS.