Sign in with
Your question

New 2012 Ivy Bridge Build 2000$+/-. Need Help to make sure im Ready :D

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2012 11:41:08 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Starting to buy parts in Feb and should finish June ish
Budget Range: 1900$-2200$
System Usage from Most to Least Important: High Quality Gaming,High Quality streaming, Starting to record videos and edit
Parts Not Required: I got a mouse, keyboard, Monitors and cd/dvd writer.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts.(From Most to Least Preferred): I'm Canadian, so there 4 main sites (that I know of)
http://www.newegg.com/
http://www.tigerdirect.com/
http://www.ncix.com/
http://bestdirect.ca/
Parts Preferences: Corsair, Asus, Samsung, Cooler Master (but not really sold to any of these)
Overclocking: Yes
Crossfire: Yes
Monitor Resolution:1920x1080 (but I might change to get a better one)
Additional Comments: I'm slowly building an Ivy bridge ready computer and I'm not a pro so I've been doing a lot of research on the interwebs.

So this is what I found so far for my new Ivy Bridge Build. I'm really not in a hurry to buy because the new processors won't come out until April or May. So I'm looking at buying 1 part per month something like that.

Ill post them in the order i want to buy them and ill put a bit of info of why i want to buy those parts :D 

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case 149.99$
So I was debating if I wanted the The Storm trooper or the HAF X and after watching and reading a lot of stuff I decided I liked the Trooper better :D . Mainly because I think the X-doc is kinda handy and the removable fan filters.

CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler 94.99$
I wanted a self-sustained water cooling for my CPU. I found the Corsair or the Antec KÜHLER H2O 920. I went with the Corsair For Now. There pretty much the same but a review showed that the corsair was a bit less noisy.*Link*

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Hybrid RS-850-SPHA-D3 850W Intel ATX 12V V2.3 & SSI EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply 169.99$
I'm planning on doing some Crossfire X in the long run, but probably not for now. With what I've read I'm pretty sure that a 850w will be plenty. But if not plz say so :D 

Sooo for the Memory... This is a part I'm a bit less sure of what I'm doing :p . So this is what I found.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL 149.99$
Or
Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00 149.99$
I want some 1600 Pc3 12800 I don't really mind if its dual or quad channel I've been looking for good timings but any tips are appreciated :D .
These should be the parts I'm going to buy last cause the price drops can happen anytime and the longer I wait the better the prices should be imo.

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit 199.99$
I was looking at the Corsair Force Series GT 120g or OCZ Vertex 3 120g or Crucial M4 120g. I went with the Samsung because I think they have great reliability and speed.

ASUS HD7970-3GD5-3DI2S Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card 559.99$

For the Motherboard I think it would be best to wait for the new Z77 Boards that are going to come out for the new Ivy Bridge. PCIe 3.0, support up to "DDR3-1600" *** About 250.00$ ***
*Wiki for new Z77 board features*
*** New MSI's Z77 Ivy Bridge Motherboards at CES, Now With Thunderbolt Support ***

For the processor I'll go with the new I5-3570k I'll probably buy it around end of May or early June *** About 250.00$***
*UnofficalIvy Bridge Specs*

So that's the "homework" I've been doing the past few weeks tell me what you think. I really want to be ready for the new Ivy Bridge :D  So if you find anything that doesn't work or any comments or questions, shout em out :D 
The build finishes out at 1824.94$ Without Shipping and Taxes. But i did not "hunt" the best prices yet. This is just to make sure that I'm on the right tack.

Thnx all
Hemp
January 27, 2012 12:34:35 AM

It looks good, although a few things.

Since you are in Canada, you should try newegg.ca ,ncix.ca etc. As pricing is different here.

Liquid cooling takes effort and air cooling can do some pretty good things when overclocking. If you are really set on liquid cooling then go right ahead but an air cooler between $30-80 should be good. (Hyper 212+ and Noctua DH-14 come to mind). I cannot say how well air will do with ivy bridge but with sandy it can get most of processors to 4.5 gHz or so and it should be the same with IB.

You may or may not need 16 GB, 8 GB will probably do you quite fine but if you really want 16 GB you have a big enough budget.

HDD!!!! If you record videos and would like to save them on your computer so that you can edit them, you will need an HDD. Now if you plan on recording gameplay of your games with lets say, Fraps. You will need quite a big HDD to store your videos. SSD's are good for the OS and the games/programs you load frequently but for storing, you should also get a HDD.

Someone will probably say this, but stick to Seasonic, Corsair (ones made by seasonic), Antec (ones made by seasonic) and XFX (made by seasonic) for PSU's. You might like Cooler Master but that PSU has no reviews and is not seen as a quality manufacturer (I don't know who their OEM).

Finally, buy everything at once. Prices will change and if you buy stuff now and build in 5 months a part from now could be faulty and you will find out in 5 months and you will be unable to send it back. New stuff aside from Ivy Bridge might come out aswell, such as Kepler (don't remember release date).

Just some quicks tips for you. Good luck with your build :) 
!