Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

24'' Monitor vs. 27'' Size regarding 1920x1080

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 27, 2011 7:57:56 PM

I've noticed many monitors out there offer 1920x1080 in 24'' and 27'' sizes. However, Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between these two sizes? I'm looking for a new gaming monitor so clarity and responses time are paramount. Thanks for any information on this matter.

More about : monitor size 1920x1080

a c 88 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 27, 2011 8:46:49 PM

I went from a 24 inch to a 27 inch and noticed no loss in quality, bought a Samsung 27 inch and couldn't be happier , the picture quality is actually better than my previous monitor and now I can't go back to a smaller screen....bigger is better!
Score
0

Best solution

November 27, 2011 8:51:32 PM

Assuming we are talking about two otherwise identical monitors, the measurable quality will be the same. If you are viewing from the same distance, you theoretically have worse perceived image quality on the 27" due to the slightly larger pictures, but realistically you will see no difference. If you have the money and the space, I see little reason to go with the smaller monitor.

However, you may consider getting a 1900x1200 monitor if you are going for better image quality.
Share
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2011 9:15:29 PM

dleavitt said:
Assuming we are talking about two otherwise identical monitors, the measurable quality will be the same. If you are viewing from the same distance, you theoretically have worse perceived image quality on the 27" due to the slightly larger pictures, but realistically you will see no difference. If you have the money and the space, I see little reason to go with the smaller monitor.

However, you may consider getting a 1900x1200 monitor if you are going for better image quality.


Agreed, though honestly for most viewing distances on a desk I would get a 2560x1440 27". I use one now and the image quality is really awesome. The downside was I needed to SLI GTX 580's to still be able to max demanding games lol. Being used to my monitor the lower res 27" monitors look grainy to me.

Best advice I can give you is find a store with both monitors and go look at them for yourself, it really depends on how picky you are.
Score
0
November 27, 2011 9:25:16 PM

I use a 1900x1200 28".

Id recommend it if you have poor eyesight like I do. The slightly oversized text on webpages is what I use it for. Since my eyesight isnt perfect, i dont notice any problems when using video games on it.

So if you want clarity...dont go over-sized. Its useful if you want to avoid eyestrain on webpages though, so if youre on the net a lot, it could be useful for that.
Score
0
November 27, 2011 9:41:29 PM

The question is really how far you'll be sitting from the screen. With a 27" you need to be a little further back, and that extra distance compensates for whatever tiny difference in sharpness might exist. I sit pretty close to my 27" because my eyesight isn't great and it makes things a bit larger and easier to read. That said, for gaming, I find it so large at that distance that I can't see everything on screen. More immersive sure, but if I was gaming competitive I might go 23".

Short answer: no.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2011 10:06:27 PM

I have an Asus 26.5 inch monitor and it res id 1920x1200 I love it. I dont understand why some monitors at bigger size only do 1080.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2011 11:11:38 PM

christop said:
I have an Asus 26.5 inch monitor and it res id 1920x1200 I love it. I dont understand why some monitors at bigger size only do 1080.


Because most monitors are marketed today as "Full 1080p" because most people see that on TV's and think its the best for a PC also. It's really just a ploy to sell cheaper quality panels to the average uninformed consumer for more money yielding super high profits. The reality is I was gaming at way higher resolutions than 1080 more than 15 yrs ago.
Score
0
November 28, 2011 1:01:46 AM

greliu said:
I've noticed many monitors out there offer 1920x1080 in 24'' and 27'' sizes. However, Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between these two sizes? I'm looking for a new gaming monitor so clarity and responses time are paramount. Thanks for any information on this matter.


1920x1080 (or 1920x1200) is a bit low for 27", for normal vision and normal viewing distances. 24" is the sweet spot for that.
You may wish to go for the 27" at that resolution if you have slightly poor vision, since it'll be a comfortable size.

27" are also available at 2560x1440 resolution (e.g. Dell U2711), these come with a better quality and costly IPS panel. Though reviews have stated that this results in a very fine dot pitch - which again is good or bad, depending on your vision.

Monitors are something you'd best view in a store to see what works best for you - our opinions are IMHO secondary to yours.
Score
0
November 28, 2011 1:46:40 AM

I'm having a hard time choosing 24 to 27 as well -___-
Score
0
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
November 28, 2011 4:54:28 AM

I have a 27" monitor at 1080p and 120hz. I find it looks better than my previous 1200p 23" monitor. Part of it is due to quality and in part due to 120hz. There are no higher resolution 120hz monitor, in part due to the limitations of the DVI cable interface.

If you have the space, I'd go 27". For gaming, immersion is higher with the bigger monitor.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 5:14:46 AM

i have 3 samsung 27s. and its the way to go. text is crisp (after calibration) gaming is perfect. its not ideal for photo editing as higher res monitors but i dont bother with that. though i would perfer one of those 43" curved monitors im rather happy with my 3. as i dont have $6500 to spare.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/beautiful_curved_...
Score
0
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 28, 2011 8:30:28 AM

I can never go back to a 24 inch, the 27 inch is the best upgrade I ever made, I'm not guessing , its in front of me and I'm looking at it.
Anyone that says you lose image quality has not got a 27 inch monitor to even make a comparison or judgement.
27 inch Monitors that are 1080i look exactly the same as a smaller monitor with 1080i res , its just bigger!
If you buy a decent quality monitor you will get a quality image, if you go for something cheap and budget ......you will get what you pay for.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 10:12:58 PM

monsta said:
I can never go back to a 24 inch, the 27 inch is the best upgrade I ever made, I'm not guessing , its in front of me and I'm looking at it.
Anyone that says you lose image quality has not got a 27 inch monitor to even make a comparison or judgement.
27 inch Monitors that are 1080i look exactly the same as a smaller monitor with 1080i res , its just bigger!
If you buy a decent quality monitor you will get a quality image, if you go for something cheap and budget ......you will get what you pay for.


I'm not sure how you can back that statement up with facts, If you go larger size screen but keep the same resolution you have a lower pixel density which translates into a more grainy image if you are viewing from the same distance. You may not be able to perceive it, lots of people can't, but I can tell you I put two 27" monitors next to each other of the same brand (mine and my wife's cheaper model) Mine is 2560x1440 and hers is 1920x1080 and the difference is clearly seen at normal desktop viewing distance. If you go about 4 to 5 feet away the difference is more difficult to notice, but most people who have a desk view between 2-3ft.

It's the exact same reason why the larger you go on a 1080p TV (the same resolution as your 1080 monitor) the further you have to sit from it before it looks perfect. With TV's most people sit more than 10 ft away so it isn't an issue.
Score
0
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
November 28, 2011 11:04:49 PM

The difference between 24" and 27" monitors is very small when it comes to DPI, but yours is a much larger difference and more noticeable, but unfortunately it also requires lots more graphics power for gaming.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2011 11:20:46 PM

bystander said:
The difference between 24" and 27" monitors is very small when it comes to DPI, but yours is a much larger difference and more noticeable, but unfortunately it also requires lots more graphics power for gaming.


It does indeed require more power, but it is absolutely worth it. The difference is night and day.

I will say though that even one GTX 580 will play even demanding games at that resolution with decent frames, you usually just have to nock the shadows down a notch and maybe the AA. I hate lowering settings and I hate it when games drop below 60fps though so I went for SLI.
Score
0
November 28, 2011 11:27:50 PM

Best answer selected by greliu.
Score
0
November 28, 2011 11:28:02 PM

THANKS EVERYONE!
Score
0
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
November 28, 2011 11:35:20 PM

Energy96 said:
It does indeed require more power, but it is absolutely worth it. The difference is night and day.

I will say though that even one GTX 580 will play even demanding games at that resolution with decent frames, you usually just have to nock the shadows down a notch and maybe the AA. I hate lowering settings and I hate it when games drop below 60fps though so I went for SLI.


I'm sure it's nice to view. When I decided to upgrade, I considered the same, but went with 120hz and 3D instead. The advantages are smoother game play, which lowered and almost removed all forms of motion sickness I'd get with lower FPS. I also gained 3D gaming, which I like a lot more than I expected. I also like the fact that I don't have to have as powerful of a set up to get playable FPS (for me it's higher than most due to motion sickness issues).
Score
0
!