hobbesandtigger

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I need to get a new core2 quad processor. I currently have a q6600 that has been consistently getting errors in the first core. How should I go about replacing this old processor? What processor should I get and where should I go about getting it?

hobbesandtigger

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
prime 95 continues to find an error in the first core. I also have crazy graphics errors in 3d applications and some rendering of text and pictures. I have replaced every other component in the system including just having bought a new motherboard.

hobbesandtigger

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
So is there anyway to selectively disable the core that is having errors to see if that fixes my problems. I know you can set the number of cores but can you select which ones to turn off?

Have you updated the bios? Rarely CPU's will fail, but a bent pin in the motherboard/cpu can result in damage! If you feel like you need a new processor, look for any of the Core 2 Quad Q9XXX processors if your board can support then. Preferably, the Q9550 or 9650!

A Q9550 is quite expensive at around $320. If you are going that route you might as well spend $60 more to buy a Core i5-2500k, Z68 mobo and 8GB of RAM.

A Q9400 costs around $180 - $190. That assuming your motherboard support Yorkfield CPUs.

Buying a used Q6600 on ebay will cost around $100. Bidding on one up for auction might get you a lower price.

InvalidError

Titan

If changing everything includes the video card and re-installing the OS/drivers, then my best guess at this point would be a non-critical (crash-wise) failure in the FPU/SIMD circuitry.

IIRC, there is a registry key in XP you can turn on to make Windows perform all FPU stuff in software to test this theory, no idea if it still exists in Vista and 7.

hobbesandtigger

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I ran prime 95 with the FPU test and it seems to be a problem with the FPU in the first core. If I run programs with an affinity only for the last three cores the problems go away. Is there anyway to deactivate core0 permanently or disable the fpu in core0 to fix my problems.