HD 6850 does not perform as expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinhbc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hi everyone. Im looking for some advice on what could be wrong with my setup, or software. i built my own computer 4 years ago an i am in no way smart with computers, but it has worked great until now. here are the specs:

n force 680i motherboard
dual core e6850 processor
windows 7 64 bit
6 gb of RAM
old GPU: nvidia 8800 gtx
new gpu: gigabyte hd 6850
power supply: 700Watt

My old graphics card worked great. i could expect a high framerate with all applications and games. then my computer screen started freezing and red dots would show up everywhere. Eventually the coomputer would crash and the bluescreen would say that the display driver stopped working. from my research i determined that the vid card was fried. SO i replaced with the hd 6850 and am not getting the performance i expect from what is suppose to be a better card. my power supply is 700 watt, so i don't see the problem there. the framerate is now on par with my 10 year old dell. through control panel i erased all the old nvidia drivers and installed the newest ati drivers. Any ideas?

Solution
i remember a while ago there were quite a few threads about 6850's and the like not coming out of their lowered idle clock speeds and it was a vga BIOS issue. Check the manufacturers website for a BIOS update or use MSI afterburner to manually set the clock speeds to what they should be. Also make sure you have the latest drivers installed, not the ones that came on the cd with the card.

kevinhbc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
it performs much worse than the 8800 gtx. for example, the original call of duty game ( i know these cards are overkill for it). i could get 333 fps constant before. now with the hd 6850 it drops to as low as 50.

on newer games like crysis 1, old card : 45 fps, new card : 25 fps

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I have heard some people experiencing lower than expected performance from their new video cards when they switch to AMD from nVIDIA or vice versa. Make sure to run Driver Sweeper to remove all of the residual nVIDIA driver files, then install the AMD drivers.

kevinhbc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hello,

I posted earlier about having bad performance after changing my 8800 gtx out for an hd 6850.

I had changed the gtx out because of system freezes followed by red lines and dots all over the screen during the freeze up and after rebooting. Now with the new card i get awefule performance (similar to my old 5500 pci card or even worse) as well as freeze ups. sometimes the screen turns grey and green verticla lines show up. I have to reboot form this point. The freeze ups only occur if i am playing games. Maybe a memory issue? i have run driver sweeper to remove all remnants of old drivers and have installed the newest ati drivers. any suggestions?

kevinhbc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes not at all. when it does freeze it usually happens within the first 5 minutes. seeing the vertical lines pop up makes me wonder if it is not card related as well. seems fishy that an old card and a new card would cause similar crashes. which opens the door to cpu or memory issues

kevinhbc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
installed speedfan. problem is now i can't even start a 3d application without screen going crazy. ( gets blurry and right half of scrren moves to left side of monitor,left side of screen moves to right side of monitor. low load gpu temps are 36 degrees C.

thats some procedure combat wombat. i'm going to try it because i have nothing to lose. almost looks like an april fools post lol.

if all else fails i wont play games on the computer. it seems to work fine befor eyou start any 3d application

bosa

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I have a 6850 Radeon XFX also I having issues with 3D apps I just turn off most of my 3D options..then again I don't have a compatible 3D monitor with this card,so whats the point!?

This card I got also will just stop working and window's will say "graphics card failed but has recovered. It happens so fast I cannot even tell anything happened.

I got a ASUS card 6850 now and it works fine... Max settings
Calling up XFX tomorrow about my old card.

i remember a while ago there were quite a few threads about 6850's and the like not coming out of their lowered idle clock speeds and it was a vga BIOS issue. Check the manufacturers website for a BIOS update or use MSI afterburner to manually set the clock speeds to what they should be. Also make sure you have the latest drivers installed, not the ones that came on the cd with the card.

Solution

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

10/10

kevinhbc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
good suggestion. if i start a 3d program and minimize i can check the ati catalyst performance tab and it shows the clock speed and memory speed jump up to what its suppose to be. perhaps i can try afterburner... but now it seems i get the malfunction when sometimes when not in 3d applications as well.

i definitely have the up to date driver installed.

will see if afterburner make s a difference and post back later
will also look for a bios update

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.