amjohnson25

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm working on a build for my brother and had a problem during initial set up.

Everything started fine the first time I powered the computer up and I started to load Windows 7 onto it. Partially into the installation process, it suddenly shut down as if the power went out and would not power back on. No whir, no fans spinning nothing. It was like I didn't have it plugged into the wall at all when I pushed the power button.

I switched out the PSU with the one in my rig, which I know works as I had just been using it, which produced the same results. Thinking that maybe there was a bad connector from the power button to the MoBo, I firmly reattached them and after that failed, I tried to bypass that with a screwdriver connecting the pins manually, also failing.

I tried three different outlets so I know that is not it. Also, I plugged the new PSU (from my brother's build) into my personal one to see if it was fried and it fired up just fine.

Due to nothing being powered on at all, without even a marginal power surge to the CPU fan, etc, I think that either the entire MoBo is fried or just the South Board is fried.

For reference, his Mobo is an ASRock 970 Extreme 3, the PSU is an Antec BP550 Plus.

Any help/insight would be appreciated before I have to RMA the Mobo and keep up the guesswork.

Most likely a bad mobo. My ex3 gen3 had some issues, and the RMA fixed it right up.

Swap out the ram, gpu, etc with your system to make sure they are all working fine. Last thing you want to do is RMA a part to only realize that you also need to RMA something else.

no Ram = no post, so keep at least one stick of ram in there

amjohnson25

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
So I took everything out and did a step by step bench test (which I should've done first, I know) and found my mistake: a misplaced brass staff-off was shorting the Mobo. Everything's coming up Milhouse, right now. Thanks for the tips guys!