Help me find a PSU for my GTX 460 1GB

G

Hi,

I recently bought a new PSU (OCZ ModxStream 600W ATX) but unfortunately, the piece of garbage isn't compatible with my EVGA NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB.

Could anyone help me find a 600W PSU compatible with my GPU? (Between 50-100$) here : DirectCanada.com

Also, if i decided to use 2 PSU, 1 for my GPU and 1 for everything else could it be dangerous for my hardware?

Thanks

Spec :

Mobo : ASUS M5A88-M
CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 640
HDD : WD Caviar Green 750GB 7200RPM 64MB
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1333mhz
GPU : EVGA NVIDIA 460 GTX 1GB

Solution
What do you mean isn't compatible? It provides enough wattage and amperages. Maybe you are plugging in the connections in correctly?
G

It's not compatible because it doesn't provide the right cables to power it or it simply doesn't support my card. I read somewhere "If you have a 460GTX 1GB DO NOT BUY THIS PSU"

I don't know much about PSU so i can't really explain why it's not working but basically, i need 2x 6 pin PCI-E 2.0 cables and i have 1x 6pin cable and 1x8 pin cable you can transform into a 6 pin cable so it could be my problem.

G

That's what i did but NVIDIA Driver can't detect my GPU.

4745454b

Titan
Are you using only one string of PSU cables? I had this happen with my Antec 750W Green and my GTX460. I had 4 6+2pin PCIe cables available, and I tried to use only one string. (two 6+2 plugs on two cables is how my PSU has them arranged.) It wouldn't power up this way. Once I used a plug from each string then all was good. Try grabbing a plug from a different string/set of wires and see if it works that way.

G

I did but when i run the program it tells me NVIDIA isn't compatible with my operating system or it can't detect my graphic card. I also tried updating it using device manager like i always do but it says the best driver is Standard VGA Adapter.

And yes, they are plugged in firmly

Are you using only one string of PSU cables? I had this happen with my Antec 750W Green and my GTX460. I had 4 6+2pin PCIe cables available, and I tried to use only one string. (two 6+2 plugs on two cables is how my PSU has them arranged.) It wouldn't power up this way. Once I used a plug from each string then all was good. Try grabbing a plug from a different string/set of wires and see if it works that way.

I'm using 2 strings of cables a 1x6 pin cable on one side and a 1x6+2 cable on the other. These are the only cables i have available on this PSU

If no one can fix my problem can i please get the answer for my second question which is : If i use 2 PSU, will i damage my hardware?

G

Ah man, I'm so sick of fixing things on this computer, i have been doing so for 48 hours straight and i end up making mistakes because of it.

The problem is when i installed Windows, i couldn't remember if 64bits was x84 or x64 so i choosed x84 because it was a bigger number. I ended up with 32 bits, downloaded 64bits drivers and this is why nothing has been working properly.

That's just great, now i have to install all my software all over again.