Fx-8120 fan speed and temps jump up and down like a yo-yo

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Whats up with that ?
I have c1e and cool'n'quiet enabled, turbo boost is disabled.
The fan goes up and down, up and down, and so does the core clock. even when im just staring at the desktop...
windows 7 ultimate, stock cooler...
gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 mobo...

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
it has a program that came on the disc with the board to flash it.

use that download bios to desktop, open program select the new bios the hit flash. once its done it will just ask to reboot let it do so. then on booting up the hit delete to enter set up screen might change to a bios update bar let it do what it needst to do.

once thats done worst case it will say over clocking failed hit F1 do that then hit F10 key and let it boot job done.

you cant go wrong with it trust me, if it fails which UEFI bios wont and shouldnt go into bios and just tel it to go back to the last working bios just like system restore and boom its back to normal.

its not hard seriously.

Bios

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4001#bios

List of all Programs for your Mobo (win 7 32bit)

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4001#utility

hope it helps i have that board in a back up PC and its a good easy bit of kit

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
ok i flashed it, easy as hell.
running on f6 bios now, it didnt fix the stuff tho... fan is still going crazy sometimes over nothing, like opening chrome or writing this text atm...

why should i install the utilites tho ? will they help ?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
That gigabyte board is failproof. Use @bios program to flash it. Even if you lose power while its flashing, gigabyte has the dual bios faeture. Even if you erase the main bios, it will boot so you can do it again and again till its done right.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
In BIOS go to hardware monitor and try to raise your target temps a bit (target temp when is hit the fan starts to spin faster). If this isnt helping probably your temp sensor its not working properly (its posible that it shows wrong numbers witch ar higher then the "target" temps and thats why your fan is going crazy ). Try to see how fast your temps change. If they change to fast then your sensor might be dead OR you have not mounted your cooler properly

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
ye, the temperature goes from 29C to 41C INSTANTLY.. blink of an eye
well, i mounted the cooler like this - screwed the bottom part open a little bit, put the thing under the thing, then put the other thing on the other side on the other thing and then clipped it in... its not moving or anything and it had pre-applied thermal compound.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Ok. The compound it comes with is pretty thick, but ok to use. Try this to make sure its seated as good as it can. With it still clipped down, rotate the whole heatsink several times. It won't move much at all, but it will move. Apply just a little pressure as you do it. Thermal paste works bets in a micro thin layer, doing this helps move the excess out of the way.

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
was there smth wrong with the heatsink ?
cause when i applied one end of the heatsink under the plastic thing, then the other one didnt go... i tried so many times and then i decided to screw the thing apart and lift it up, put the clip under it and screw it back on to the backplate

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Nothing wrong with it, just the amount of pre-installed compound can be a bit much. Basically what I said can be deascibed as squishing a pb&j sandwich, its to move some of the compound around and get a better seat. It can be done without removing the clamps, I normally do this on every install, and often if the temps are high ill just rotate the heatsink again until I'm satisfied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euvVw4izNXc

Right at 2:30 is what i am referring to doing.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
considering that nowdays the temp seonsor is mounted on die next to the cores the temps vary preety quick. 41 degrees is not much (if it would be 80 that would be a problem). As i sayd, raise your taget temps higher, lets say 55 degrees. The coole shoul start raising revs only @ that temp

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
okay i rotated the cpu heatsink... did nothing!

atm my window is open (cold air coming from outside) - i removed both case fans - i opened the sidepanel...
now im sitting (no back processes running) and my temp is 22C and its quiet - then suddenly: WHOOSH, temperature 40 and fan skyrockets the RPM and its really loud and it lasts for 2-3 seconds... its so annoying, therer must be a fix for that.

What should i enable/disable in the bios ? (altho ive tried so many combos: c1e disabled while coolnquet enabled etc etc.)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
the hotfixes only affect the way windows sees the cpu.

Trying to find some information as to why it would be doing that, the one I set up before was that exact setup using the stock heatsink.

in the bios under PC Health status, change the CPU smart fan MODE from auto to voltage. ill do some more checking.

Im wondering if the motherboard sensors are a bit faulty, hopefully not.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
can't find my stock cpu fan right now. did that fan have 4 wires or just 3? I may have told you the wrong setting for it. 3 wires is voltage mode, 4 wires is pwm.

also when your on the pc health status screen, watch it for a bit, see if the temps jump around while on that screen. If they are jumping more than 3 degrees at a time while on that screen (not in windows), it may be the motherboard itself.

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
it has 4 pinholes and goes into 4pin cpu-fan slot.

anyways, what did the other guy say about removing stickers and overleft residue to reduce fan noise ?
also somebody said, that the heatsink compound is piece of *** and i should replace that and would be good to go.

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
it has 4 wires, also i changed the smart cpu thing from auto to voltage.
also i have c1e and cool'n'quiet enabled... doesent loook like its quiet..

TRENDING THREADS