Need advice on build please.

andycan111

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hi, I am planning to build a computer over the summer, and I was just looking at parts. I know this is kind of early, but I was wondering how I could improve/make this build cheaper.

Budget: $600-800

System Usage: Games, not high end, mostly SC II, Videos

Parts not required: OS, Monitor, Keyboard

Preferred website: Newegg

Parts: ASUS motherboard

Overclocking: In the future

SLI or Crossfire: In the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

This is what I have looked at.

Solution
^+1

The new Intel line of processors will be out by summer, as well as AMD's and Nvidia's new graphic cards. With a little luck, HDDs prices will also go down as azeng mentioned.

What this means for you is that the build we suggest for you now will be completely different by the time we get to summer. So, for now, just hang tight, sit on your money or maybe even save up a bit more for your system. When summer roles around, come back to the forum and we'll be more than happy to suggest a build for you : )

azeng97

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
CPU: i5 2400 $180
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 $110
Case: Something budgety around $60
VGA: HD6770 $110
PSU: 500-600W ThermalTake Litepower or CoolerMaster Extreme or similar $80
CPU HSF: Xigmatek Gaia or CM Hyper 212+ $30
HDD: Seagate 500GB $75
Optical Drive: Liteon $20
RAM: G.Skill 1600 8G: $50

Total: $715

If you like AMD, go with the x6 1100T for about $170 if its still available, if not, then FX-6100 $170. Motherboard should still be around the same price. ASRock motherboards are easier to overclock, and are generally the best value for budget builds.

azeng97

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Oh well for a summer build Phenoms will not be available, but by then Ivy Bridge and Piledriver will probably be out, which changes things a lot. Also HDD prices would have halved. So I think its a bit early to decide now.

Grand_Admiral_K

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
^+1

The new Intel line of processors will be out by summer, as well as AMD's and Nvidia's new graphic cards. With a little luck, HDDs prices will also go down as azeng mentioned.

What this means for you is that the build we suggest for you now will be completely different by the time we get to summer. So, for now, just hang tight, sit on your money or maybe even save up a bit more for your system. When summer roles around, come back to the forum and we'll be more than happy to suggest a build for you : )

Solution