Hdd vs hdd what do i upgrade??

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
ok so i was orginally planning on getting this for my first build
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
instead i think i will get this because there is no need for 1tb of mem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075
whats a viable upgrade with the money im saving im already set on a hafx h100pushpull 16gigs corsair vengance 999 24 i52500k asrock z68 fatality gen3 razer black widow and deathadder black edition astromixamp pro and audio technica ath-ad700s and a xfx r7970 disk drive is gonna be a bluray samsung combo drive . so should i upgrade anything and if so what should i do with the cash id have from going to the 160gb or should i get 2 of those and run a raid 0? and yes i know 16gb is overkill

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
i was actually thinking of getting like a 120gb hhd for my os boot drive and a small ssd for loading games and such..or do i want that the other way around all ive heard ssds doing is being the same thing as a hdd drive only chips and there faster

If anything you want the SSD as your boot drive - you'll notice the snappiness of the OS and any programs on the drive. I'm with rvilkman - just get a larger SSD (120GB-160GB) rather than a small HDD and small SSD. You'll spend about the same $$ since the HDD prices are inflated.

64bit will take up about 20-25GB after updates, and you'll need to reduce your pagefile.sys and turn off hiberfile.sys (hibernation). Those will take up as much space as your RAM (in my case 16GB RAM = 16GB pagefile).

I use a 64GB drive as my boot drive, and I have ~15GB free (I have Office and another program/two that take up significant space installed on it as well).

I use a 120gb SSD for everything. It has w7-64 bit, half a dozen games, and 4gb of photos.
There is 28gb free out of 111gb useable with no attempt to conserve space.

Considering the current high prices of hard drives, starting with just a SSD sounds like a good plan to me.
Expect to pay $1.50 per gb. SSD performance among all current ssd's is remarkably similar in real world usage. Do not be much influenced by glowing synthetic benchmarks which are unrealistic.

Reliability does count.
Look for Intel, Samsung, or crucial in that order.

And... The value in a 1tb drive over a 160gb drive is that larger drives are faster, particularly when using the first 10% of a drive.
That is because the platters are denser, and can transfer more data per revolution.