ScootsNZ

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
Need help please as relatively new to the home network thing.

Have just setup a Linksys WAG54G wireless router/ADSL modem to use with my home desktop and laptop. I have no problems connecting to the internet through either the desktop or laptop (wirelessly), however whenever I try to connect to the network with the laptop the status changes to Peer-to-Peer and I loose the internet connection. I still cannot connect to the network to share files. I ran a few tests and noticed that I cannot ping the laptop or desktop either but I can ping the router and default gateway. Running XP pro on both machines.

I think I am missing something here??

Scoots

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I have no problems connecting to the internet through either the desktop or laptop (wirelessly), however whenever I try to connect to the network with the laptop the status changes to Peer-to-Peer and I loose the internet connection
This is a contradiction. You are connected to the network if you're in the Internet.

Can you restate your problem? What exactly do you do that causes the switch to peer-to-peer?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Are you sure your not accidently trying to connect to the wireless network cards access point default thingy?

I know my Belkin card would show a 'linksys' or something like that.

As said above, if your connected to the internet via the router then you are the network, try pinging the PC's then.

Love from me.

G

Pings can be blcoked by XP's firewall try disabblign them to see if it changes something.

Also how do you connect to the other computer? I dont recommand using the My Network its slow and buggy use the run from start menu and type \\ipadress\share so soemthing like \\192.168.1.100\c$. Other than that I dont know of any settings that could cause that!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

riser

Illustrious
Stupid question, when you try to hook your laptop up, are you connecting in over wire or wireless?

File and printer sharing is enabled and setup?

What IP address do you get on your Desktop before you connect your laptop?

When you connect the laptop, what IP address do you get, and what IP address do you get on your Desktop?