DDR - How long to be mature

yangrossman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dear Friends,
How long will it take to DDR to be a mature technology. Do you think it is worthy waiting to buy ? Today, is it worthy ?
Thanks

G

Depends on what platform you're talking about. I'm not sure how well DDR is faring for Intel, but everyone is pretty much waiting for the Via chipset for AMD to see how things turn out.

Sarcasm maybe the recourse of a weak mind,
but it can be funny as hell.

G

dunno,.... waiT for VIA. via, should be quite mature as they are beting on SDRAM and DDR. if not BY the time AMD 760MP, <-- AMD second generation DDR chipset should be quite mature by that time. (around 2Q to 3Q of 2001)

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
First of all, maturity is a long evolving process that does not necessarily assure high reliablity or high performance.

I don't see the AMD760MP as being 2nd generation. From what I've read, it is the very same design as the present AMD760 extended to accommodate multiple processors (which provides only limited benefit on the desktop).

So far, the IWill KA266 board (based on the ALiMagik1 chipset) has been extremely reliable, if not a KT133A killer.

While some say that MSI's K7Master is the best DDR board so far, it is very expensive and very hard to find.

Based on their design, the VIA KT266 chipset boards (due out in a few weeks) promise to be the best performing of all DDR boards, if not the most reliable (VIA's track record for reliability is not the greatest)!

PC2100 DIMMs (which are reliable) are becoming more available and less expensive.

IMHO, that's where DDR is at right now...

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I completely agree with pvsurfer's comments. However, I am anxiously awaiting Steve Benoit's <b>(i.e., Stable)</b> assessment of one of the new KT266 (DDR) boards he has been testing. Steve said he would provide us with a performance and stability comparison of that board to his current favorite DDR board, the MSI K7Master. Judging from his last post, that review should have been ready by now(?).

G

You have to remember that DDR technology has been around for a while now. It has been used in video cards reliably for some time. It is also the underlying concept in AMD's faster bus technology. From all of the technical papers that I have read about the technology there is no reason not to invest in it today. Just my .02.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Very true... Sure DDR mobos will improve with time, but what technology doesn't? Just steer clear of the buggy boards (like the A7M266), as there are quite a few out there that have proven to be trouble-free (such as the IWill KA266).

BTW, this thread really belongs in the motherboard forum!

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah, the 760MP has been out for a while (the fab process and design anways). AMD has just been sitting on it for a while. It's not 2nd Gen.

-MP Jesse

"Idle time is the devil's time. Intel better start working!"