Favorite phone features?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
November 8, 2004 8:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I can evaluate calling plans. All the details are put into fine print.

But the phones are a little more difficult to evaluate beforehand. I hate
nothing more than finding out after I buy a phone that it does something I
can't live with, or doesn't have a feature I didn't think about before I bit
the bullet, or does something really annoying (like 12 levels of menus to get
to the item I frequently need).

What are the features of your phone that you can't live without? What's the
model of your phone?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
November 9, 2004 4:08:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:28:28 -0800, David L wrote
(in article <e1705cb3.0411082328.6f904af7@posting.google.com>):

> http://www.phonescoop.com/

Thanks for the pointer.

Any other web sites comparing providers and phones?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 5:20:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <0001HW.BDB563100002E09AF04075B0@news.individual.net> on Mon, 8 Nov 2004
17:53:20 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?

Reliable and clear voice calling.

>What's the
>model of your phone?

Sony Ericsson Z600.

November 9, 2004 5:46:51 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:53:20 -0800, DaveC wrote:

> I can evaluate calling plans. All the details are put into fine print.
>
> But the phones are a little more difficult to evaluate beforehand. I hate
> nothing more than finding out after I buy a phone that it does something I
> can't live with, or doesn't have a feature I didn't think about before I bit
> the bullet, or does something really annoying (like 12 levels of menus to get
> to the item I frequently need).

This is why one looks at the specs, and reads the available downloadable
PDF manuals *before* one commits to a handset.

> What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?

The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
without.

> What's the
> model of your phone?

Nokia 6310i, Nokia 7600 and SE t630

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 5:46:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In message <pan.2004.11.09.02.46.50.454000@grfpb.arg> michael turner
<zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote:

>> What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?
>
>The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
>without.

Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.

--
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.
They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:16:58 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net>
wrote:

>In message <pan.2004.11.09.02.46.50.454000@grfpb.arg> michael turner
><zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote:
>
>>> What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?
>>
>>The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
>>without.
>
>Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.

Oh posh! It's still there.

November 9, 2004 3:39:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

RE/
>What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?

One I'm living without, but would like very much: a no-ring timer.
Hit the "no ring" button and the phone goes silent for, say, 20 minutes then
comes alive again. Hit it three times, and it's down for an hour.

I've forgotton to turn it back on after meetings so often that I've resorted to
removing the battery and placing battery/phone on the table just so I don't
forget.
--
PeteCresswell
November 9, 2004 3:39:59 PM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> RE/
>
>>What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?
>

> One I'm living without, but would like very much: a no-ring timer.
> Hit the "no ring" button and the phone goes silent for, say, 20 minutes then
> comes alive again. Hit it three times, and it's down for an hour.
>
> I've forgotton to turn it back on after meetings so often that I've resorted to
> removing the battery and placing battery/phone on the table just so I don't
> forget.

That's actually a good idea, because it also signals everyone else at
the table that you value their participation more than others that don't.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
November 9, 2004 3:39:59 PM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:39:58 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote:

>One I'm living without, but would like very much: a no-ring timer.
>Hit the "no ring" button and the phone goes silent for, say, 20 minutes then
>comes alive again. Hit it three times, and it's down for an hour.
>
>I've forgotton to turn it back on after meetings so often that I've resorted to
>removing the battery and placing battery/phone on the table just so I don't
>forget.

I'm not sure how many other models have it but my Nokia 6310i has
timed profiles so that if I go into a theater I can just set the timed
profile for silent and have a time that I wish for the phone to "wake
up" when the timed profile expires. Very useful feature.

November 9, 2004 4:37:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In message <8s02p058rj2n6ho8l78ge5jujfjl7jkq54@4ax.com> Joseph
<JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
>>>without.
>>
>>Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.
>
>Oh posh! It's still there.

Yes, but it's not a priority...

--
#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))
-- Shakespeare

In <0001HW.BDB5C916001AC9F7F02845B0@news.individual.net> on Tue, 9 Nov 2004
01:08:38 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:28:28 -0800, David L wrote
>(in article <e1705cb3.0411082328.6f904af7@posting.google.com>):
>
>> http://www.phonescoop.com/
>
>Thanks for the pointer.
>
>Any other web sites comparing providers and phones?
>
>Thanks,
>--
>Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
>ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.

Try a different approach; e.g.,
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=cellular+reviews

2nd link: http://www.mobiledia.com/
3rd link: http://www.epinions.com/elec-Comm-Mobileservice-All
Also:
http://www.geckobeach.com/
http://www.cellphones.ca/
http://wireless-phone-reviews.com/
http://www.letstalk.com/
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_16-0...
http://www.howardchui.com/
All on the first two result pages.

November 9, 2004 11:57:37 PM

In <ha92p0tjl797i17r745mqh7q8etbqp2i69@news.supernews.com> on Tue, 09 Nov 2004
13:37:43 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>>>Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.
>>
>>Oh posh! It's still there.
>
>Yes, but it's not a priority...

I think it is still a priority.

November 10, 2004 1:31:26 AM

wrote:

>>>Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.
>>
>>Oh posh! It's still there.
>
>Yes, but it's not a priority...

Says who?

November 11, 2004 5:13:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

In message <hdd3p0djenlm9sjnodvklapacn9va34112@4ax.com> Joseph
<JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Yes, but it's not a priority...
>
>Says who?

The marketing department, for one. Carriers sometimes market crystal
clear sound, but very rarely is a phone highlighted for having awesome
sound quality.

Second, in the case of the Motorola i830, I was outright told that some
compromises (specifically, sound quality and battery life) had to be
sacrificed in order to achieve the smaller size with GPS and Java.

*shrugs*

--
When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.
Anonymous

"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.09.02.46.50.454000@grfpb.arg...
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:53:20 -0800, DaveC wrote:
>
> > But the phones are a little more difficult to evaluate beforehand. I
hate
> > nothing more than finding out after I buy a phone that it does something
> > can't live with, or doesn't have a feature I didn't think about before I
bit
> > the bullet, or does something really annoying (like 12 levels of menus
to get
> > to the item I frequently need).
>
> This is why one looks at the specs, and reads the available downloadable
> PDF manuals *before* one commits to a handset.

One problem is that the US carriers now apply so many customizations to
cripple/enhance their phones that many features in the manual for the
generic model may not be available (or may be different) in the one you buy.

> > What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?
>
> The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
> without.

The ability to use your phone where you travel is the most important
feature. If it doesn't have a signal, it's at most a fancy PDA or alarm
clock. For some people this means a phone with fall-back to analog and a
good outside car antenna to get a signal in the wilds of Montana. For other
people it means an unlocked quad-band GSM phone, or even GSM/WCDMA for
people who travel to Japan. Since I sometimes have to use a Yagi antenna to
pick up a GSM signal, I put a premium on an external antenna connector and
the ability to lock to GSM-900.

One faeature I like is "profiles". This allows you to pick a "profile" for
Outside that, say, rings loud and vibrates for any alert; or Meeting that
only vibrates and sliences all other sounds.

Since this was posted to a.c.gsm, I assume you are interested in GSM phones.
The most important feature on a GSM phone is to get it unlocked and
uncrippled. What good is it to get a phone that has Java, if the Java loader
is locked down? What good is it to get a phone with a POP/SMTP client when
it's locked and hidden from the user? The list goes on and on.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

In <vro5p0llpdret5vi8pfidq5558r099f84k@news.supernews.com> on Thu, 11 Nov 2004
02:13:44 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <hdd3p0djenlm9sjnodvklapacn9va34112@4ax.com> Joseph
><JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>Yes, but it's not a priority...
>>
>>Says who?
>
>The marketing department, for one. Carriers sometimes market crystal
>clear sound, but very rarely is a phone highlighted for having awesome
>sound quality.

I think that's more a reflection of the market (i.e., consumers) than of
design priority. Consumers know sound won't be perfect, and likewise know
that most sound problems are caused by available signal, not the phone.

>Second, in the case of the Motorola i830, I was outright told that some
>compromises (specifically, sound quality and battery life) had to be
>sacrificed in order to achieve the smaller size with GPS and Java.

I suspect that's an apocryphal story, not a real reflection of design
priority. Sound quality isn't really limited by size -- the small Ericsson
T39m had stellar sound quality.