Favorite phone features?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I can evaluate calling plans. All the details are put into fine print.

But the phones are a little more difficult to evaluate beforehand. I hate
nothing more than finding out after I buy a phone that it does something I
can't live with, or doesn't have a feature I didn't think about before I bit
the bullet, or does something really annoying (like 12 levels of menus to get
to the item I frequently need).

What are the features of your phone that you can't live without? What's the
model of your phone?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
15 answers Last reply
More about favorite phone features
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:28:28 -0800, David L wrote
    (in article <e1705cb3.0411082328.6f904af7@posting.google.com>):

    > http://www.phonescoop.com/

    Thanks for the pointer.

    Any other web sites comparing providers and phones?

    Thanks,

    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <0001HW.BDB563100002E09AF04075B0@news.individual.net> on Mon, 8 Nov 2004
    17:53:20 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?

    Reliable and clear voice calling.

    >What's the
    >model of your phone?

    Sony Ericsson Z600.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:53:20 -0800, DaveC wrote:

    > I can evaluate calling plans. All the details are put into fine print.
    >
    > But the phones are a little more difficult to evaluate beforehand. I hate
    > nothing more than finding out after I buy a phone that it does something I
    > can't live with, or doesn't have a feature I didn't think about before I bit
    > the bullet, or does something really annoying (like 12 levels of menus to get
    > to the item I frequently need).

    This is why one looks at the specs, and reads the available downloadable
    PDF manuals *before* one commits to a handset.

    > What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?

    The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
    without.

    > What's the
    > model of your phone?

    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 7600 and SE t630

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In message <pan.2004.11.09.02.46.50.454000@grfpb.arg> michael turner
    <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote:

    >> What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?
    >
    >The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
    >without.

    Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.

    --
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.
    They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:16:58 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net>
    wrote:

    >In message <pan.2004.11.09.02.46.50.454000@grfpb.arg> michael turner
    ><zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote:
    >
    >>> What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?
    >>
    >>The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
    >>without.
    >
    >Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.

    Oh posh! It's still there.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    RE/
    >What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?

    One I'm living without, but would like very much: a no-ring timer.
    Hit the "no ring" button and the phone goes silent for, say, 20 minutes then
    comes alive again. Hit it three times, and it's down for an hour.

    I've forgotton to turn it back on after meetings so often that I've resorted to
    removing the battery and placing battery/phone on the table just so I don't
    forget.
    --
    PeteCresswell
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > RE/
    >
    >>What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?
    >

    > One I'm living without, but would like very much: a no-ring timer.
    > Hit the "no ring" button and the phone goes silent for, say, 20 minutes then
    > comes alive again. Hit it three times, and it's down for an hour.
    >
    > I've forgotton to turn it back on after meetings so often that I've resorted to
    > removing the battery and placing battery/phone on the table just so I don't
    > forget.

    That's actually a good idea, because it also signals everyone else at
    the table that you value their participation more than others that don't.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:39:58 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote:

    >One I'm living without, but would like very much: a no-ring timer.
    >Hit the "no ring" button and the phone goes silent for, say, 20 minutes then
    >comes alive again. Hit it three times, and it's down for an hour.
    >
    >I've forgotton to turn it back on after meetings so often that I've resorted to
    >removing the battery and placing battery/phone on the table just so I don't
    >forget.

    I'm not sure how many other models have it but my Nokia 6310i has
    timed profiles so that if I go into a theater I can just set the timed
    profile for silent and have a time that I wish for the phone to "wake
    up" when the timed profile expires. Very useful feature.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In message <8s02p058rj2n6ho8l78ge5jujfjl7jkq54@4ax.com> Joseph
    <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>>The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
    >>>without.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.
    >
    >Oh posh! It's still there.

    Yes, but it's not a priority...

    --
    #define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))
    -- Shakespeare

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <0001HW.BDB5C916001AC9F7F02845B0@news.individual.net> on Tue, 9 Nov 2004
    01:08:38 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:28:28 -0800, David L wrote
    >(in article <e1705cb3.0411082328.6f904af7@posting.google.com>):
    >
    >> http://www.phonescoop.com/
    >
    >Thanks for the pointer.
    >
    >Any other web sites comparing providers and phones?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >--
    >Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
    >ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.

    Try a different approach; e.g.,
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=cellular+reviews

    2nd link: http://www.mobiledia.com/
    3rd link: http://www.epinions.com/elec-Comm-Mobileservice-All
    Also:
    http://www.geckobeach.com/
    http://www.cellphones.ca/
    http://wireless-phone-reviews.com/
    http://www.letstalk.com/
    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_16-0.html
    http://www.howardchui.com/
    All on the first two result pages.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <ha92p0tjl797i17r745mqh7q8etbqp2i69@news.supernews.com> on Tue, 09 Nov 2004
    13:37:43 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    >>>Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.
    >>
    >>Oh posh! It's still there.
    >
    >Yes, but it's not a priority...

    I think it is still a priority.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    wrote:

    >>>Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a lost art.
    >>
    >>Oh posh! It's still there.
    >
    >Yes, but it's not a priority...

    Says who?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    In message <hdd3p0djenlm9sjnodvklapacn9va34112@4ax.com> Joseph
    <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>Yes, but it's not a priority...
    >
    >Says who?

    The marketing department, for one. Carriers sometimes market crystal
    clear sound, but very rarely is a phone highlighted for having awesome
    sound quality.

    Second, in the case of the Motorola i830, I was outright told that some
    compromises (specifically, sound quality and battery life) had to be
    sacrificed in order to achieve the smaller size with GPS and Java.

    *shrugs*

    --
    When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:53:20 -0800, DaveC wrote:
    >
    > > But the phones are a little more difficult to evaluate beforehand. I
    hate
    > > nothing more than finding out after I buy a phone that it does something
    > > can't live with, or doesn't have a feature I didn't think about before I
    bit
    > > the bullet, or does something really annoying (like 12 levels of menus
    to get
    > > to the item I frequently need).
    >
    > This is why one looks at the specs, and reads the available downloadable
    > PDF manuals *before* one commits to a handset.

    One problem is that the US carriers now apply so many customizations to
    cripple/enhance their phones that many features in the manual for the
    generic model may not be available (or may be different) in the one you buy.

    > > What are the features of your phone that you can't live without?
    >
    > The ability to make and receive phone-calls is a feature I can't live
    > without.

    The ability to use your phone where you travel is the most important
    feature. If it doesn't have a signal, it's at most a fancy PDA or alarm
    clock. For some people this means a phone with fall-back to analog and a
    good outside car antenna to get a signal in the wilds of Montana. For other
    people it means an unlocked quad-band GSM phone, or even GSM/WCDMA for
    people who travel to Japan. Since I sometimes have to use a Yagi antenna to
    pick up a GSM signal, I put a premium on an external antenna connector and
    the ability to lock to GSM-900.

    One faeature I like is "profiles". This allows you to pick a "profile" for
    Outside that, say, rings loud and vibrates for any alert; or Meeting that
    only vibrates and sliences all other sounds.

    Since this was posted to a.c.gsm, I assume you are interested in GSM phones.
    The most important feature on a GSM phone is to get it unlocked and
    uncrippled. What good is it to get a phone that has Java, if the Java loader
    is locked down? What good is it to get a phone with a POP/SMTP client when
    it's locked and hidden from the user? The list goes on and on.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <vro5p0llpdret5vi8pfidq5558r099f84k@news.supernews.com> on Thu, 11 Nov 2004
    02:13:44 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    >In message <hdd3p0djenlm9sjnodvklapacn9va34112@4ax.com> Joseph
    ><JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>Yes, but it's not a priority...
    >>
    >>Says who?
    >
    >The marketing department, for one. Carriers sometimes market crystal
    >clear sound, but very rarely is a phone highlighted for having awesome
    >sound quality.

    I think that's more a reflection of the market (i.e., consumers) than of
    design priority. Consumers know sound won't be perfect, and likewise know
    that most sound problems are caused by available signal, not the phone.

    >Second, in the case of the Motorola i830, I was outright told that some
    >compromises (specifically, sound quality and battery life) had to be
    >sacrificed in order to achieve the smaller size with GPS and Java.

    I suspect that's an apocryphal story, not a real reflection of design
    priority. Sound quality isn't really limited by size -- the small Ericsson
    T39m had stellar sound quality.

GSM Phones