Changing folder permissions through the registry

I need to change some folder permissions on some remote users. Basically,
they are only members of the power user group and need to give them
administrator access to a folder. The easiest way would be to send them a
registry file and have them merge it in. Can anyone explain where in the
registry you can set folder permissions?

Thanks in advance

| "Philip Shulman" <pshulman@nospam_tevausa.com>
| Message news:eRUFix0mEHA.2140@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
|I need to change some folder permissions on some remote users. Basically,
| they are only members of the power user group and need to give them
| administrator access to a folder. The easiest way would be to send them a
| registry file and have them merge it in. Can anyone explain where in the
| registry you can set folder permissions?
|
| Thanks in advance

I apologize in advance for not having specific steps. However, I have not
been actively involved in Security Management Technologies since I installed
Microsoft Windows XP on April 4, 2004. And I have played very little with
an Active Directory environment. (100% of it here at home, with my two old
networked computers and Server2003). Not to mention that I am just a home
user who likes to (among other things) play with computers, and research and
read about computer-related technologies that interest me.

But anyway, when I played with the technology for the many years I was
running Microsoft Windows 2000 as my primary Operating System I
discovered that...

Folder Permissions (file permission, registry permissions, security polices,
etc.) are stored in a file named secedit.sdb that is stored in the following
directory:

%WINDIR%\security\Database\

And there are several tools you can use to configure System Security areas
(Account Policies, Local Policies, Event Log, Restricted Groups, System
Services, Registry, File System). One is named the Security Configuration
and Analysis snap-in (a Microsoft Management Console snap-in). And another
is named secedit.exe (a command-line tool).

For some information on this subject see the following Microsoft Web Site:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Documentation Online
Part III Security | Ch 16 Authorization and Access Control
Using Security Policy | Working with Local Security Policy
Using Security Templates
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_sec_umgs.asp

And you can find links to peer-to-peer support newsgroups for Security
Management and Active Directory Technologies below.

Management Technologies Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/management/default.mspx

Directory Services Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/directoryservices/default.mspx

MORE INFORMATION:

If you are the "curious-type". And if you have Microsoft Word and configure
Word to "always show the File Conversion dialog box when you open a text
file", or "Confirm conversion at Open" (for more information search
Microsoft Word help for the words in double-quotes). You can open a copy of
secedit.sdb with Word (Recover Text from Any File) to get an idea of itsr
contents.

For example, here is what the security descriptors might look like for a
file listed in my secedit.sdb:

F:\B.Baker\Lyrics\Spiritualized\AmazingGrace\LayItDownSlow.txt
D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GRGX;;;PU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGX;;;WD)

The second line contains the security descriptors for the file. For some
information on security descriptors see the following Microsoft Web Site:

MSDN Home | MSDN Library | Security | Authorization
About Authorization | Access Control
Security Descriptor Definition Language
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthz/security/security_descriptor_string_format.asp

Philip Shulman wrote:

> I need to change some folder permissions on some remote users. Basically,
> they are only members of the power user group and need to give them
> administrator access to a folder. The easiest way would be to send them a
> registry file and have them merge it in. Can anyone explain where in the
> registry you can set folder permissions?
Hi

You can't do this with some registry changes.

You might get something to work using a scripting solution (e.g.
involving cacls.exe) and a Runas wrapper utility or similar to
"take" administrator rights, take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=eWuyovIXEHA.712%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

Another one that is not mentioned above:

LSrunas/LSrunasE (the latter with password encryption)
http://www.linkselection.com/lsrunas.asp

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: