New Graphics card for Acer AX1420G???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryffinwings

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I'm looking for a Graphics card for my Acer Aspire X1420G-U5832 (commonly known as the AX1420G). It has these specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645
Nvidia GeForce 6150SE (Integrated Graphics)
1 TB Hard Drive
4 GB DDR3 Memory
Sony Bravia 32" (BX31) 720p
Unknown 220 watt powersupply

Now from what I've seen and heard on the net is that the 6150SE really sucks and from personal experience that is pretty true, because the viewing on my Sony 32" Bravia as my monitor is kinda grainy, and I'm pretty sure I have all my settings set on the highest settings as far as quality. My current uses are the following:

Netflix Instant Watching
Playing Video Files
Youtube

Basically an HTPC, only other things are some net games and such or some light gaming. What I'm looking for is something decent, may consider upgrading the PSU and graphics card if necessary, the new card also needs to be a low profile model. I have started considering a ATI 5450 as a significant upgrade, but am willing to consider other ideas. I prefer a card with low power requirements so I don't have to upgrade the PSU, but I will if I have to.

I am currently not up to date on current Nvidia and ATI/AMD offerings and technology. The last I had was an Nvidia GTS 250 1GB, the last I understood was the 6800 GS. So if anyone is willing to bring me up to speed on GPU tech as well that would be great.

gryffinwings

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Looks like you haven't really read my post.

I require a low profile video card, and one that doesn't take too much power.

The ones you posted are full blown monsters from the looks of it, and I have no way of using them in such a small case that I have. Remember I have only 220 watts to play with, which isn't a lot to begin with.

Oh yeah, I do have PCI-E 1.0 according to what I've seen. The booklet isn't any help. Even if I do have PCI-E 1.0 even 2.1 cards are supposed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.